PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
It's my Saturday and half of my chores are done.
Sifting through the pile of things not yet smoked, my eyes landed on the Hyde Park tin. Long devoid of its original contents, it now stores other various stinky things from England.
This was a sample from Theolonusmonkfish. :worship:
I tried a bit in a small Kaywoodie soon after getting it. The results were "blurry and inconclusive."
Today, I crammed about 3/4 of a load into the beater pipe, a Baraccini billiard and fired it up.
While reading Jim's review, there was a mention of tonkin. I don't think I could identify tonkin at this point, but used in this capacity, I find it agreeable.
There was a collective of Lakeland flavors upon light, not soapy, but floral and maybe a tad bitter. I'm slowly moving further into the territory of being a Granny lover.
75% dark fired with 1/8 burley and 1/8 Virginia, I'm getting a strong and flavorful smoke without the fairly common Virginia sensitivity. There is a "chewy", deep sweetness that is just on the edge of being prominent without drowning out the natural tobacco flavors. A masterful application of percentages that makes you wonder what the blender could do in the kitchen.
As far as nicotine, I was close to conjuring the Big Suction Cup. I doubt the remaining chores will receive proper attention today.
As far as nicotine effect is concerned, I am forming the opinion that the blend alone does not determine the impact on the smoker. Getting all of the factors lined up (pipe selection, drying, loading, cadence) seems to increase or decrease the efficiency of nicotine intake. Some times, I'll have an unexpected high dose and some times the opposite.
After the good coal is established, this tobacco settles down into a smooth and flavorful experience. It's very consistent in flavor from the 10 minute mark until the end. An almost licorice-like back tone sneaks in near the end, very faint.
Even well dried, a cleaner pass late in the game was helpful. Relights in the second half can be expected, as well. No bite and no heat issues were my experience. The bowl finish was clean and dry, though another pass through the stem was required.
Complexity without pretension would be a good way to sum up the flavor experience. As a lover of dark fired and, increasingly, burley, the complete package exceeded my expectations.
Verdict: If you're open to the possibility of enjoying Lakeland, Get Some.
jay-roger.jpg

Reactions: Puff nstuff

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Nice review Jay. I really like Coniston Cut Plug unscented, which imo is very much scented. I have no doubt that I would enjoy this tobacco.

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
That sample was scented, glad you're enjoying it and I dig the review. It's not a typical floral bouquet as might be expected but, to me, rather is close to an incense type of profile. Some nondescript spices with a touch of herbal/floral, and as you noted, licorice which I get too, and enjoy. A clean taste with slight bitterness that builds to a tasty note as you work through the bowl. Honestly, I don't know what's in it but I can't stop smoking it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thanks, monkfish.
Honestly, I don't know what's in it but I can't stop smoking it.
When I lived in a crack block in Baltimore, I used to hear this kind of thing a lot... :mrgreen:
jay-roger.jpg

theloniousmonkfish

Jan 1, 2017
Baltimore, man, there's a city. You ever scatter bread crumbs on the street and watch them go? They'll pick up anything.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I think I’ve only ever seen one type of CCP. Never seen an unscented offered.

I’ve been working through a large sample of the unscented for a while now, at least that’s how it was labeled. I vaguely remember seeing it offered a while back, but now looking at SPC I don’t see it. Whichever it is I like it.

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I bought 8 oz of this awhile back. Smoked a few bowls and put the rest away. I enjoyed it right away, but I am excited to try it after it has some age on it.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
It's good stuff. My one ounce sample just says cut plug, not designating unscented or scented, and I don't remember which I supposedly ordered. I also like Bosun cut plug. I need to revisit both of these and also dark plug scented and unscented. I liked all of these but it's been awhile and I don't remember the differences between them. They are all similar, from the same family. I do know that I like each of these better than SG Lakeland Dark. For some reason that one just didn't do anything for me

Status
Not open for further replies.