PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Just completed my first homemade briar pipe. A Freehand bent paneled poker with saddle bit. Maybe not professional grade work, but it was definitely a creative venture worth taking, and will have personal value that cant be bought! I used only 1 saw, 1 knife, and about 7 grades of sandpaper. Pipe is finished with Paragon pipe wax. Think I'm going to invest in some rotary bits and try my variation of a blowfish next.
The briar kit is available on Amazon and is actually a good deal. Just finished the first bowl (Erinmore Flake) and it smoked great!
remy-01-pipe-600x354.jpg

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
Im not a paneled fan, but thats pretty nice looking. especially for making yourself!! awesome!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wow. I think that is an awesome job and especially for your first one. Came out way better then my first one. The hardest part for me was getting the meat of the briar between the shank and the bowl. Mine was bent too and I just didn't have the proper tools to get to it. Can't wait to see your next one.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Josh,
Nice first effort. Just a teeny bit of advice for any beginning pipe maker. Start with the classic billiard shape. Make one. Then make another. Then another. Keep making just billiards until you have perfected the shape before moving on to say, a blowfish.
Here's an example:
CooperPipe-TuscanTest001.jpg

This is probably my 40th or so attempt at the classic billiard. Trust me, my first one didn't look like this. The shape looks simple, but it's far from it. Probably one of the most complicated pipe shapes in existence. There are subtle nuances to the proportions, the bowl height vs. shank length vs. shank diameter, bowl width, amount of curvature in the bowl sides, etc. Once mastered, only then should you move on to other shapes.
By forcing yourself to adhere to the shape parameter of the billiard, you will learn discipline in shaping. Striving to acheive the perfect balance of proportions will help you "see" the shape. Acheiving no gaps between the shank and stem takes practice. A seamless transition from shank to stem is the goal. These skills will translate to other shapes later on.
I understand this is your first pipe. I'm just trying to guide you and help you avoid some beginner pitfalls. Such as being a member of the "briar presvervation society", leaving as much wood as possible on the pipe. The result is often a pipe that looks an awful lot like the block you started with. Figure at least half of the block will be scrap, either trimmed or sanded away. That's the reality.
Of course, you just might have wanted to "make your own pipe" and nothing more. If that's the case, then ignore everything I've just said. But if you want to improve, and improve quickly, then start with a billiard. Lots of billiards. Practice, practice, practice.
Welcome to the fold. Best of luck.
CACooper

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I am going to give this a go one of these days. I appreciate your advice cacooper. Seems pretty sound to me. On a plus note, I happen to love the billiard shape. I never given shape and dimensions much thought until you put it into those words. Definitely something to keep in mind when I finally get around to it. Thank you!

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Thanks everyone!
I was actually thinking of a billiard next as a possible option. I want to try a thinner walled pipe with gentle curves. A billiard was an option because it is a classic shape I do love, but a freehand would allow me to learn the techniques of carving without so much requirement for perfect uniformity as a billiard. Starting with a billiard would definitely make sense, particularly for honing advanced skills, but I might try getting some more practice on my basic carving and learning to use some new tools before I move to uniformity and precision with those tools. Kind of like target shooting. One needs to learn how to operate the rifle first, before one moves on to the art and skill of precision shooting. But I'm still contemplating. Billiard or freehand of some sort. Either way I need some more tools, and some more basic handling practice.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Nice job with just a handfull of tools.... Congrats and Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.