PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I got a couple of Mr. Brog pearwood pipes on Wednsday. I was curious to try a another pipe material than briar, meerschaum or cob and I liked the price. Plus Amazon one click is evil.
I first smoked the over-sized extra large model XOL. (Image link) The walls were so thick, and the chamber looked so narrow that I thought it would be a short smoke. Wrong! I loaded up some folded GLP Sextant and the bowl lasted most of an evening. It was surprisingly easy to keep lit, the smoke was cool and the pearwood lended a slightly sweet base to the mix. I liked it but understand that the sweet touch disappears as the pipe is broken in.
The second was a Church Warden that I picked up, mostly out of curiosity and the sub-thirty dollar price tag. This time I tried out some GLP Jack Ready Rub. Again, the bowl lasted the evening and I got a cool smoke, although the bowl itself would overheat quickly.
As the evening progressed, I learned that dainty sips would keep the warden going and relatively cool.
The pipes also ship with an impervious filter. They interfered with the draw so badly, that I had first thought the shanks were clogged - which in effect they were, until I tossed the filter.
I don't regret purchasing the Mr. Brogs but probably will not buy another. Like cob pipes, they smoke very well out of the box. BUT aesthetics do count and I found the flat, single dimensional burgundy finish to look a little cheap, like something you would get out of a bargain bin at a dollar store. Of course, that is what these pipes are - cheap. But they are functional.
If you are looking to try a pipe without spending a bundle, these Mr. Brogs are an option. And they do lend a little variety to your collection. However, I probably would recommend that if you want a good, cheap smoker, then get a Missouri Meerschaums cob. If you're interested in an over-size pipe, save up a few bucks and visit the Boswell site.
Pax

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't smoked a Brog, but most of the posts about them are favorable. Brog makes both pear and briar pipes. I hadn't

heard of the filters before, but they sound easy to discard. Pear or briar, they sound like a successful way to add to your

rotation of pipes, and a little variety to your pipe rack. The ones I've shopped look a bit blocky, but if a pipe is a good

smoker, I could like that. My favorite alternative pipe material (besides quality cobs and clay) is Mountain Laurel, but it's

a speciality item, not that available.

Status
Not open for further replies.