PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
So I finally packed a pipe with some Dark Star Flake.... Talk about re-lights!! It's probably my packing method, I rubbed it out just slightly and then aligned the pieces and placed it vertically then rubbed a little out finely for kindling. It's hard to get a taste for it when I only get two puffs!
Any suggestions for the best method of packing for this glorious looking tobacco? It really is beautiful, smells delicious!! Ok, I'll stop now 8O

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Don't be put off McC flakes by Dark Star. It's pretty much the only one of their flakes that is that difficult. There is no great secret I've found but I let it dry a while and then expect a few relights. Usually once I get it going, it burns okay but it's the most fiddly of their offerings.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've never tried drying it out, but I do work hard to "rub it out" ("rubbing" isn't actually possible with this one!) as much as possible. And then I just prepare myself to use as many matches as necessary. Personally, I think the effort is worth it, though. IMO, it's a fantastic dark-stoved VA.
If you'd like to try a similar flake that doesn't require a pair of pliers and a hammer -- :) -- you might like Butera's Dark Stoved. Very similar flavor profile but in a flake that's much easier to work with.
Bob

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah you picked the hardest McC flake apparently, I have a tin but haven't cracked it yet. From what I hear you need to give it a long drying time, like open the tin and just let it sit there for a good week. There's a thread here somewhere about darkstar.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Rub it out more and dry it out more. And I'll say it again: The amount of drying time is meaningless. It will vary from season to season, day to day, room to room, blend to blend. Dry your tobacco until it feels right, not until a certain time has elapsed. Sometimes it takes 1/2 hour, sometimes it takes a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.