PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
I recently purchased my very first estate pipe, a nice Becker & Musico bulldog with a silver spigot.

It arrived looking like new, very clean and with no smell at all coming from the chamber.
I still wanted to give it a good cleaning of my own and for that I invested in a small bottle of Brebbia Pipe Clean.

I cleaned it a couple of days ago, and it did have a light peppermint scent when I left it to dry, but not too unpleasant.
Today I'm having the first smoke, and there is no mistaking it: My otherwise sweet and gentle Virginia flake has a not so subtle aftertaste of toothpaste! 8O

Does anyone have experience with this brand of "sweetener"? Will the taste go away after a few bowls?
On the positive side, the draw is perfect and the blast feels really nice.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Yeah sorry, no cool story here, but at least my breath is cool/mint! And I think I figured out the picture...
becker-musico-600x450.jpg

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Haha :D

I am getting more Virginia and less mouth wash as I am finishing the bowl. Maybe there is still hope.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Surprising as it may be, mau, I absolutely concur! I'm not usually a huge fan of metallic, "machine" looking pipes, but there's something about that one that I like! Serious looker.
Bill

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Thanks for the comments guys.

I usually associate silver spigots to classic, older pipes, not so much "techy" or "machine" looking. But I guess an aura of modernity isn't too bad, so I'll take it :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a spared-down nifty pipe. Thanks for fair warning on the cleaner; I presume the flavor won't linger long.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, you have got the photo thing, and here it is a bit bigger. Nice pipe.
Even now a hot water flush after smoking might remove more of that fresh minty taste. Alcohol no longer touches my pipes.
becker-musico.jpg

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I have used Everclear and several other pipe sweeteners and the only one I ever had trouble with was Brebbia. It took 5 or 6 bowls before that awful menthol taste went away.
Rest assured though,it will fade away eventually.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking pipe, congrats. I use Everclear to clean my pipes. I have never nor would I ever use a pipe sweetener. You should grab some Everclear and re clean your pipe. Why waste good tobacco trying to smoke through the menthol?

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Thanks Iraisch, that is assuring. I did have a second bowl today and the menthol had faded a bit, but still very much present.

I'm gonna go with Harris' suggestion and give it a new cleaning. I don't think I can get Everclear here, but Stroh rum (80% alcohol) is available. That should do the trick, no?

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
That sure is a lot of good points for using water. But with this menthol thing, I suspect I need something stronger.

I tried the hot water flush on another pipe a while ago, and it worked very well. Only concern was that it seemed to dull the finish of my shiny pipe a little.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
But Thats a nice looking pipe,spigot might be a good option for me who have broken several stem tenons down during the years

as for menthol ghosting, I'd smoke some burley OtC's in this, Prince Albert or Mc Barens Golden extra(Blend)actually some fresh menthol taste might add some interesting note to plain burley blends,I recall there is one G&H menthol spiced pipe tobacco existing

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Thanks, I really like the spigot, feels very sturdy.

I will give it a shot with a burley blend instead of my subtle Virginia.

Paul, is Prince Albert available in Finland? I'm curious to try some, but it's not on the shelves anywhere here in Denmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.