PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anachronislad

Lurker
Oct 8, 2012
So in my very limited experience smoking a pipe, I've only had aromatics to smoke, which I love. However I was looking for a bit of a change of pace. Some of the generous fellows in this community were kind enough to send some samples of some different stuff. On of the blends that I got was the Sutliff private stock Field master. I don't mind telling you that I loved it. The taste was so much more full than the aromatics I was used to, although I couldn't really give you specifics on that taste palette not being developed and all. The only problem I had was that it didn't like to stay lit for very long. Although that was most likely an error in my techniques and no fault of the tobacco. The other thing I noticed was how nice of a room note it left. I've heard pele talk on here about how there English blends cause some grimaces and upturned noses but I am very pleasantly surprised by it. I'm definitely going to be investing in some more of tense English blends in the future.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Some aros are wonderful. Some of my favorites are Boswell Christmas Cookie and does Dan Tobacco's Blue Note. They have amazing flavor! I do love a good English/Balkan but I also like a good virginia/vaper. Glad you are experiencing some new blends. If you ask me it is the best thing about this hobby.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Try some Frogs, those are good english blends that are pretty easy to understand. I really like Peterson Old Dublin and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. Dunhill is really good too.
I'm not allowed to smoke Old Dublin when I'm out with friends because of the smell; I just stay home now.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I gave Latakia blends a try as well. Everything went fine until one night I loaded up a bowl of Old Dublin and afterwards... let's just say I'm glad the sink is infront of the toilet. Not sure what brought on the horrible experience, but I've stayed away from Latakia blends ever since. Hopefully you don't have a similar experience like I did.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the wonderful world of latakia. I haven't smoked Field Master, but the description seems to indicate a fairly light English. Enjoy your explorations, and don't let Mr TMI scare you off. Lots of people, including yours truly,like Old Dublin a lot.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I found it strange because I'd had a good eight or ten bowls before that with everything being okay and Old Dublin seemed to be a decent smoke. It very well could have been something I ate more so than that bowl.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Well you know what my first reccommendation is. PS Balkan Supreme is very good also. My first "light" English was Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and it is still very satisfying with a cup of coffee in the morning.

Jul 15, 2011
Lat is where it's at! I keep hearing about this Black House stuff but haven't gotten to try it yet. Guess Im not one of the cool kids :mrgreen:
In all honesty, all of the Frog Morton tobaccos are great, and Dunhill makes great English blends as well. Let us know what you think as you get around to trying more Englishes.

anachronislad

Lurker
Oct 8, 2012
The frogs are on next on my TAD I think I'm gonna get the "froggy went a courtin" sampler. And I really want to try some lane limited 1Q

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Once you go Lat, you never go back! (isn't that the saying?) I will respectfully disagree with that statement. I started off as an English smoker but once I found the world of va and vaper flakes, I never smoked English blends again. I think everyone should try all the categories in the beginning, and eventually you will find what suits your tastes the best.
The great thing about pipe tobacco is that there are so many different options and there is no such thing as the best. There is what you like and that is all that matters. When I did smoke English blends I really liked the ones that had perique in the mix, it adds a spiciness that I really enjoyed. Frog on the Bayou was one with C&D Bayou Nights and Dunhill Nightcap as others.

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
My advice to an aromatic smoker on a budget who wants to try the Frog blends begin with Frog Morton on the Town. It has a wonderful creamy flavor and the room note is not offensive. Right now I'm waiting on a tin of Frog's Cellar to see how the whiskey and barrel stave piece affects the flavor.

Smokey

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
+1 Cigrmaster. I started off an English smoker, but I have moved to Va and VaPer flake, but I still enjoy a good Heavy Latakia blend. Like Baron said, It goes really well with coffee.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I've tried to like Latakia, but I just can't. If i want to smell a camp fire, I'll set one.
That said, I've been venturing off the aros and been getting into Va. Much more pleasing aroma to me, and a nice tobacco taste vs. an old leather shoe on fire. Just my $.02

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I loved latakia at first, but similar to cigrmaster and shawn I have veered sharply into Virginia territory...
I get much more consistent satisfaction from VAs and I find more depth in them; latakia starts to taste the same to me after awhile. Ashiness can be another problem as the blend dries...
When it is good, though, latakia is very good. I just find that it cannot be a frequent smoke for me.
Make sure to try a well reviewed Syrian blend against a well reviewed Cyprian blend...

briarbrother

Lurker
Dec 13, 2011
I would second the "Frog Morton" blends, they are definitely my favorite english/hybrid tobacco!! They are flavorful, smoke well(very smooth), and are low in nicotine ;) Being a new pipe smoker..they are my go-to blends!! They should recommend the "Frog Morton " series more at tobacco stores to beginner pipe smokers,instead of recommending goopy,over-cased, OTC Aromatic blends such as "captain black", which burn very "wet" for a new smoker!! Does everyone agree that "FMS" would be a good intro to pipe beginners? Which blends would you recommend to a brand new/beginner pipe smoker??

Status
Not open for further replies.