PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Scored my first ever ebay bid and pipe purchase, a Dunhill Chestnut 32041 bulldog! It's also the first bulldog pipe I've ever owned, first smooth pipe, and first pipe with a vulcanite bit (and cumberland to boot). I think I got it for a fairly good price, under $200. I imagine that I would be paying close to $300 from a more "official" website tailored to estate pipe sales. I'm looking forward to putting a shine on this baby! I'll take some more photos once it's in my hands and (hopefully) once I've cleaned it up a bit. Fingers crossed for no invasive ghosts.
photo 1
photo 2
photo 3
photo 4
photo 5
photo 6
-Swilly

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a beauty, Cumberland stem and all. I have several 'dogs, but no Dunhills.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Thanks guys. Yeah, this will be about the closest I will ever be to owning one without getting ridiculous allergies. Gotta wait a month before I finally get it though :/.
-Swilly

w4ti

Lurker
Mar 28, 2014
I have a Bruyere bulldog with a saddle bit from Dunhill, and it is a fabulous smoker. From the looks of yours, I bet it will be too!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Congratulations swilly! IMO bulldogs smoke really really well - hope the same goes for you.
Andy

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
Beautiful pipe at a good price, congrats :D Let us know how it smokes when it arrives :)

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Congrats! I managed to amass two Dunhills, a quarter-bent bulldog/rhodesian (what is the diff exactly?)and a billiard, each for sub-$200. The former has a nick out of one of the rings around the bowl, and the latter needed a new stem. Glad I have those two so I can say I have Dunhills, they're good smokers but not the best in the herd, no compulsion to buy more. I smoke Dunhill tobacco but the pipes are outrageously expensive.

Aug 14, 2012
Beautiful pipe and high quality photographs. Why does it have an extra number in 32401, I wonder? The current Dunhills have only 4 digits in the ID number.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Shutter, the shank of a Rhodesian is round in cross section. Shank of a bulldog is square/diamond. The bottom angle usually carries into the bottom of the bowl, as well.

Dec 24, 2012
Good grab but it's a little depressing for me. I have several unsmoked Dunnies sitting in the closet that I bought when I first got into the hobby. I was thinking of selling them off, but in light of what people are picking these things up for on ebay maybe I am best to hang on to them. Food for thought. Nice grab.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Thanks for the comments you all. I like to say I'm not addicted to pipe-smoking, but I sure as hell can say that I'm really looking forward to getting back to my apartment where my glorious stash is. I think those "withdrawal" symptoms were what pushed me to bid on that pipe XD. BUT, I'm not ashamed of having given in to my urges this time around, haha. I hope this bulldog smokes well, but I'm not going to count on it delivering the best smoke period. The main reason behind my bidding on this is because of all the pipes I've seen recently, this has the quintessential "English" cut. Ashton and Les Wood both make a fantastic pipe, but I think Dunhill makes the best 'dog. The saddle bit, the cumberland, and the slight forward cant of the bowl.... MMM, gives me wet dreams.
But I jest.
@Foggy: The pipe has 22 and 23 underlined, meaning this particular bulldog was made in 1982/1983. I read in the RD Field Dunhill dating guide, and it says that in 1978, all pipe shapes returned to being 5-digit. This same bulldog today would just be 3204 without the 1 at the end.
And Tslex is right about the bulldog/rhodesian difference.
-Swilly

Status
Not open for further replies.