Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

First cruise on the Yacht

(26 posts)
  1. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Knowing Dunhills days are numbered, I snagged a couple tins of the Royal Yacht just to see what it’s all about. If you haven’t tried it, don’t bother, it’s terrible. Those of you who have, is there anything else out there that’s similar? Just wondering

Tim
    Posted 8 months ago #
  2. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Royal Yacht is a very divisive mixture, I happen to like it a lot. I feel you need to dedicate a pipe to it, and clean it studiously with alcohol to make RY really sing.

Give your pipe a really deep cleaning and try RY again.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  3. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through. I just ordered 10 more tins.

Posted 8 months ago #
  4. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a friend who loves royal yacht. Not for me but it is definitely an acquired taste.

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I fell in love with RY at first. Then I disliked it. Now I like it again. It's an occasional thing for me. When I want the strength, but not the weight of stuff like Irish Flake or 1792.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  6. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through. I just ordered 10 more tins.

Well done sir. Now I see the subtly of the sarcasm. Well played.

Those of you who have, is there anything else out there that’s similar? Just wondering

Nope, It's a beast like no other. But, you might like Peterson Irish Whiskey, it's in a similar realm. Very strong, and delicately topped. Similar how the topping for RY is, you really don't notice it much.

Posted 8 months ago #
  7. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I have to say, the Yacht is quite tasty.

Posted 8 months ago #
  8. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in the love-it camp! It's especially good after 4-5 years of aging. I am like Workman above, I loved it, then got in to VaPers more and din't like Yacht as much. Now it's back in my rotation along with Peterson 3Ps.

Neal
    Posted 8 months ago #
  9. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good stuff.

Posted 8 months ago #
  10. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now it's back in my rotation along with Peterson 3Ps.

I have a tin of 3Ps I need to open, never had it. I enjoy Va and VaPer, but I'm more of an English fan.

Posted 8 months ago #
  11. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried RY and thought it was the vilest thing on the planet. Tried it again, my opinion didn't change. To each their own though. I know many people love it. That's why there are so many different blends, different tastes.

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. tnfan

tnfan

Login to Send PM

I don’t find it to be a very pleasant blend. I had one tin and ended up cutting it wth 5100 which helped. Different strokes for different folks!

Posted 8 months ago #
  13. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ry is simply not to my taste.

Posted 8 months ago #
  14. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I tried RY and thought it was the vilest thing on the planet. Tried it again, my opinion didn't change. To each their own though. I know many people love it. That's why there are so many different blends, different tastes.

I too was a little unsure during the first 1/4 of the bowl but the weird imagined glue like flavor evolved into a yeasty tingly treat. Did I just smoke a beer?

Posted 8 months ago #
  15. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the tin, at least...

I was tempted to buy some Royal Yacht recently since it is going the way of the dodo (already extinct on some sites) but the rumoured strength and polarized opinions on the blend itself made me make a safer bet - I bought some Navy Rolls instead.

Posted 8 months ago #
  16. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

but the rumoured strength and polarized opinions on the blend itself made me make a safer bet - I bought some Navy Rolls instead.

Yeah, I had the same concerns but even though it is a strong blend, it isn't harsh. It's actually pretty smooth and it burns really nice.

Can't go wrong with the navy rolls though.

Posted 8 months ago #
  17. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

Yes, don’t bother with this one. Don’t even try it. Don’t even look twice at it . . . Get off my yacht!

Posted 8 months ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a whole thread about Royal Yacht a while back and it was interesting to see a blend so polarizing. I took the plunge and bought a tin. Its still sealed ready to go when I've got room and time.

I figure if I hate it, I can trade it for something else.

Posted 8 months ago #
  19. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

I'm in the love-it camp! It's especially good after 4-5 years of aging.

I assume the age sweetens it up some? I could handle that.

Now, the next tin to crack open is Ye Olde Signe. I picked it up the same time as the Yacht. I read somewhere, I believe JimInks, that there was some similarity in the topping.

Posted 8 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Got a couple of tins stashed away think I crack one open ,see if I like it before it disappears for good.

Posted 8 months ago #
  21. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This might sound strange, but Peterson's Perfect Plug scratches kind of the same itch that RY does for me. PPP is more of a burley blend, but both are on the strong side with lots of nicotine (RY has more) and a noticeable fruity topping.

Posted 8 months ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

After the buildup on Forums, I somewhat dreaded RY, but I finally accepted the challenge. It is aromatic, debatably plum flavored, but admirably tobacco-forward, and not oppressive either with the base Virginia (I believe it is) nor the flavoring. It's full-flavored but not a particular nic trip, to me. I like it as a now-and-then change of pace, and am aging a tin. I have found several other aromatics that fill the same place but with bourbon, Irish Whisky, or rum flavoring, or three liqueurs in Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic.

Posted 8 months ago #
  23. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

It is aromatic, debatably plum flavored, but admirably tobacco-forward, and not oppressive either with the base Virginia (I believe it is) nor the flavoring. It's full-flavored but not a particular nic trip, to me.

I haven't had much luck so far with finding an aromatic I like. While some are more tolerable than others, I tire of the flavor quickly. I did finish a tin of Eileens Dream but probably won't get it again. When asked, my wife said RY smelled like cigarettes and personally, I don't know if I can much detect the aromatic qualities of anything I'm smoking - other than what gets caught in the beard I suppose.

Maybe it is the liqueur topped aros that will work. I do have some Bagpipers Dream and some Haddo's Delight put away. It's ok to take a break from the Va/VaPer flakes once in a while.

Posted 8 months ago #
  24. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This might sound strange, but Peterson's Perfect Plug scratches kind of the same itch that RY does for me. PPP is more of a burley blend, but both are on the strong side with lots of nicotine (RY has more) and a noticeable fruity topping.

Bingo! I agree. That is why above I mentioned both RY and 3P together. They indeed scratch the same itch for me.

Posted 8 months ago #
  25. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hudson Bay was blended by RL Will for Bringham, back when Dunhill blends were removed from the US market. It has a similar topping, but it doesn’t have the same strength.
    RY is a great Virginia with some umph. Like it or hate it, it definitely demands an opinion. To me, the plum topping tastes like it was at one time supposed to give the Empire Virginias a VaPer-like taste, bust something went really wrong. Never-the-less, I enjoy it with a cup of strong coffee on a rainy Autumn evening... sometimes.

Michael
    Posted 8 months ago #
  26. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I too am a fan of RY. Its nice and strong. I liked it the first I smoked it and it grew to love after that.

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mawnansmiff, cosmicfolklore, jrbjr, adforbes, ray47, cossackjack, bnichols23, chasingembers, dukdalf, drrock