PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Knowing Dunhills days are numbered, I snagged a couple tins of the Royal Yacht just to see what it’s all about. If you haven’t tried it, don’t bother, it’s terrible. Those of you who have, is there anything else out there that’s similar? Just wondering :puffy:

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Royal Yacht is a very divisive mixture, I happen to like it a lot. I feel you need to dedicate a pipe to it, and clean it studiously with alcohol to make RY really sing.
Give your pipe a really deep cleaning and try RY again.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through. I just ordered 10 more tins.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have a friend who loves royal yacht. Not for me but it is definitely an acquired taste.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I fell in love with RY at first. Then I disliked it. Now I like it again. It's an occasional thing for me. When I want the strength, but not the weight of stuff like Irish Flake or 1792.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I guess my sarcasm didn’t come through. I just ordered 10 more tins.
Well done sir. Now I see the subtly of the sarcasm. Well played.
Those of you who have, is there anything else out there that’s similar? Just wondering
Nope, It's a beast like no other. But, you might like Peterson Irish Whiskey, it's in a similar realm. Very strong, and delicately topped. Similar how the topping for RY is, you really don't notice it much.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the recommendations. I have to say, the Yacht is quite tasty.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I'm in the love-it camp! It's especially good after 4-5 years of aging. I am like Workman above, I loved it, then got in to VaPers more and din't like Yacht as much. Now it's back in my rotation along with Peterson 3Ps.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I tried RY and thought it was the vilest thing on the planet. Tried it again, my opinion didn't change. To each their own though. I know many people love it. That's why there are so many different blends, different tastes.

tnfan

Lifer
Jan 9, 2012
Franklin, Tennessee
I don’t find it to be a very pleasant blend. I had one tin and ended up cutting it wth 5100 which helped. Different strokes for different folks! 8)

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I tried RY and thought it was the vilest thing on the planet. Tried it again, my opinion didn't change. To each their own though. I know many people love it. That's why there are so many different blends, different tastes.
I too was a little unsure during the first 1/4 of the bowl but the weird imagined glue like flavor evolved into a yeasty tingly treat. Did I just smoke a beer?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I like the tin, at least...
I was tempted to buy some Royal Yacht recently since it is going the way of the dodo (already extinct on some sites) but the rumoured strength and polarized opinions on the blend itself made me make a safer bet - I bought some Navy Rolls instead.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
but the rumoured strength and polarized opinions on the blend itself made me make a safer bet - I bought some Navy Rolls instead.
Yeah, I had the same concerns but even though it is a strong blend, it isn't harsh. It's actually pretty smooth and it burns really nice.
Can't go wrong with the navy rolls though.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Yes, don’t bother with this one. Don’t even try it. Don’t even look twice at it . . . Get off my yacht!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There was a whole thread about Royal Yacht a while back and it was interesting to see a blend so polarizing. I took the plunge and bought a tin. Its still sealed ready to go when I've got room and time.
I figure if I hate it, I can trade it for something else.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I'm in the love-it camp! It's especially good after 4-5 years of aging.
I assume the age sweetens it up some? I could handle that.
Now, the next tin to crack open is Ye Olde Signe. I picked it up the same time as the Yacht. I read somewhere, I believe JimInks, that there was some similarity in the topping.

Status
Not open for further replies.