PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Hey all, just got my first MM cob pipe today. Do I keep the paper filter that is in it? If so what is the replacement filter that I would need to buy?
Thanks again for all your help.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I use my filter, because the draw without it is open enough to suck ash down the air hole. Use Medico Filters. I have a forever stem that I can put in my cob when I don't want a filter. You can get a forever stem from Walker Briar Works.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I saw a quote once that stuck with me. Something to the effect of "Smoking through a filter is like enjoying a woman's breast through a sweater."
Makes sense to me :puffy:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
You'll hear both sides, and I smoke them both with and without. Try it both ways & see which appeals, and take no one's advice but your own. You are the only judge of your preferences. Medico and Dr. Grabow filters will fit, and are available at many drugstores, smoke shops, etc.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
lol ... here we go!
My opinion is toss it as it smokes better without it.
There was just an excellent write up done on filters here recently though ...
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-smoking-culture/your-smokes-all-wet/

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Until you get a Forever Stem, smoke it the way that works for you. I used a filter until I got mine because I thought it might smoke cooler - I have always had a tendency to smoke a cob hot. The Forever Stem changes the whole dynamic of the pipe, well worth the price of admission.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks all. I knew I that I don't prefer a filter in a briar pipe, but I just wasn't sure if it was "required" for the cob since it came with one. But I will order the Forever Stem right now. Thanks again!

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I find that if a pipe is designed to use a filter, it performs best with the filter in it, otherwise the draw is far too open. I use a filter in my cobs and Grabows.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
otherwise the draw is far too open
Just pack a little tighter and give it a couple of check draws prior to lighting.

Now and then on the check draw a small bit of baccy comes out.

Chew it up, spit and light that cob! :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Don't knock filters until you try them, or certain types. Like a pipe cleaner folded up as a replacement for a 9mm filter is the greatest invention in pipe smoking I think. I also like the medico filters with certain strong blends, they tend to tame it to a degree and take bite away plus it's a nice dry smoke without much effort. I like them with blends where bright va's make up a good percentage as I find them really sharp and this sort of tames them for me, but doesn't diminish the taste. I can see them being good for blends like Cool hand fluke, I've yet to try it with a filter but it's some crazy strong stuff, 40% perique.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
One thing not mentioned heretofore is the frequency of pipe cleaner use.

I dont use filters or stingers (of which I have tried many) but I do

run a pipe cleaner all the way down several times during a smoke.

This keeps you running cool, clean and dry without an object soaking

up moisture and particles that sits in your stem.
Try it both ways and tell us what YOU decide!

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
I'm with Andrew on the pipe cleaner filter. I cut a pipe cleaner in half or in thirds and throw it in the filter chamber sometimes. Though, lately I've been going unprotected.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Though, lately I've been going unprotected.
That's how I ended up having my daughter 43 years ago.
As others have said; try it both ways and decide which you prefer as there is no right or wrong.

I have four MM cobs, but they all have forever stems which negates the use of a filter and I think they are absolutely great. Personally, I like having the option of being able to occasionally run a pipe cleaner through the stem while I'm smoking.

Jan 8, 2013
I pitched my filter. I really like the wide open draw I get without it. Another point, is that the 6mm balsa filters will fit in there also. I tried one once, and it came out soaked. Maybe a good idea to use them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm mostly a no-filter guy, but I have two filtered pipes, a MM cob and a Dr. Grabow, which can tune a blend

down if I want that flavor but not that strength. I have three MM cobs with Forever stems; one was originally

a non-filter, and the others became non-filter when fitted with Forever stems. Sometimes a filter is good for

a low-key smoke. I think with 6 mm filter pipes, you can use Dr. Grabow filters, which cost a little more,

Medico filters, or Savenelli balsa filters (I haven't tried these in a non-Sav pipe, but so I've heard). I find filter

pipes, when smoked without a filter, tend to draw too much air, burn a little fast, and decrease the flavor

slightly. I've smoked them that way, and it's okay, but not a best choice for me.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I am experimenting as I type this. I took a piece of hairpipe bone, which was traditionally used in Native American breastplates, and glued it with a little wood glue into the mortise. I had to sand it down a bit first as these bones are typically a bit bowed in the center. If it remains in place, as I hope it will, I should be able to twist the tenon onto it. The bore size of the hairpipe bone is just big enough for a pipe cleaner to pass through.
image28-600x450.jpg

Sanding the hairpipe bone to fit inside the tenon.
image29-600x450.jpg

Sanded bone glued inside mortise.
If this works, I'll add a reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.