PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just got a MM Tom Sawyer to introduce myself to cobs.
The bottom of the chamber area, where the stem enters, looks like a great place for matter to get stuck.
Is this anything of a concern?
How does cob pipe care differ from briar care?
Thanks!
Jay :nana:

May 4, 2015
The portion of the stem that enters the bowl is something that cob smokers deal with differently. Many fill the bottom with a sludge of cigar ash and water that hardens to fill the bottom (sometimes called pipe mud). Some whittle it out entirely.
My preferred method is to do nothing about it at all.
Care of a cob - run a pipe cleaner through it after each smoke. Sometimes I'll run some water through the bit. Every few months I'll swab the bowl and mouthpiece with isopropyl. I don't build cake in my cobs, and I think that's the view of the majority.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nope. Just load it and smoke it. Breaks in in no time that way. Check out the article called "Corncob Primer" on Pipedeia. It's everything you'll ever need to know about cob smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I maintain the stem in the bottom of the bowl by ignoring it, never a problem. After a smoke, I dump and scoop out the ash, wipe out the bowl with a paper towel or napkin, run a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank, and polish up the stem and the pipe generally. Not much upkeep nor break-in on these. As I often say, I do not regard cobs as disposable pipes. They last for years, often decades. Mostly they just improve in smoking characteristics which start out really good anyway. If cobs were all I had, I'd do fine. I happen to be breaking in my Dagner poker nose-warmer right now, with some PC Log Cabin blend. Smokes like a pipe I've had for years.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I purposely let the dottle fill in that gap under where the shank enters the bowl. Then it slowly gets caked over, and you end up with a nice smooth round bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.