PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I had my first cigar in probably a year last night. It was a Romeo and Julietta. With my trip to Vegas only 48 hours away and knowing it is a cigar town I figured I’d try to get back into it. It was okay but I wasn’t in love. I’ll be trying some cigars from Vato Cigar and probably some Fuentes while I’m in Vegas. I am excited but I know I’ll miss my pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do love a mellow rich cigar, which to me usually meant (it's been a long time) a product of the Dominican Republic. It's a much more programed experience than a pipe, with much less control by the smoker. But when it is a good stick, it can be like being a well-treated dinner guest. The host is calling the shots, but the time is a pleasure. It's just that a pipe is much more of an adventure, with many decisions effecting the outcome. That a far more interesting experience comes at a tenth of the price kind of skews the choice between cigars and pipes. Also, cigars seem to attract a lot of bragaddocio personalities, college boys at the horse track and such. But sometimes a good cigar is just a good cigar.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I had a few cigars back in March when I was on vacation and realized how I love my pipes so much more.
Probably won't smoke a lot of cigars going forward. They really come across as very harsh compared to my pipe mixtures.
Really don't miss smoking them.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
There are some good non-Cuban Romeos, but I'd suggest skipping some of the legacy brands and check out some of the new-school cigar makers. The My Fathers, Tatuajes, Illusiones, Warped, La Galera/Tabacalera Troical, LFD types. Or check out this list of recent high ratings from Cigar Aficionado. With the exception of the Punch Diablo (which is a good cigar), all the non-Cuban cigars on the list are non-legacy brands.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
As I've eluded to in another post, I used to be a huge cigar guy. But even when I was, I never found the appeal in Romeo y julieta, (nor alot of the other "big" names) and I've had several of both the dominacan and the Cuban versions (the Joy's of being outside the us, Cuban cigars were much easier to acquire) and they were good, but I didnt understand the reputation. I actually liked Gurkha a bunch (I tried many many of their line up) and surprisingly Rockey P. My favorite(s) were vintage 1995-1999. I also really enjoyed the old acid line up. But, now and days, I would much rather just have a pipe. I've tired to get back into cirgars but I no longer find the appeal, I will still enjoy them, but even my old favorites no long hold a stick to even the most basic of pipe tobacco for me.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I’m not bringing my pipes to Vegas because I know that I will either drop one or lose one. I know myself.

Has anyone tried the local guy Vato Cigar?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Has anyone tried the local guy Vato Cigar?
Checked their website out. Seems like it would be worth a try for sure. They've got a great story. The Cuban and Aloha blends look good, and I wish they sold 5 packs, cause I'd be interested to try them.
I would make sure you set aside some money to visit the Casa Fuente, if possible, and get yourself some of those sticks you can't get anywhere else.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
^^^ So true.
If you've ever had the opportunity to smoke one of the Chateau Fuente House Cigars, they are amazing. They age the wrappers for 5+ years in old Brandy barrels for the house smokes (I think for the Anejo as well). Jim from Strauss in Cincy gave me one that he got when he was visiting the plantation. Smoked it down so far I needed a roach clip. Spectacular to say the least.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Visiting Casa Fuente at Caesar's is a must visit place if you are a cigar guy. Any number of great cigars when you are in Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.