PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
pstlpkr's comment about his first car, a '72 327 powered Nova, stirred some memories. I'm about to date myself.

My first car was a 1949 Hudson Pacemaker that wouldn't go over 60mph if you drove it off a cliff with a tailwind.

The second one however would break the 100mph barrier and not raise a sweat. A yellow and green 1953 Hudson Hornet. 308 cid inline 6 cylinder with two Stromburg 97's and split exhaust with glass pack mufflers. You could hear that thing coming a mile away which didn't do my early driving record any good at all. Those California Highway Patrol Dodges had just a little trouble catching it. It cornered better than they did. No problem hearing it though. Once they learned where I lived, they would just stop by and hand me my highspeed award.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ya, gotta love it.

That first car, your first taste of freedom.

Like your first girl friend, there's a special place in your heart for her.

It don't matter what she looked like. She will always be your first.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
My first car was an '81 Ford mustang. It was as old as I was. What a heap, it barely ran and my dad made me and my twin brother do all the work it need ourselves. It lasted about two years and got sold when I graduated high school.

giospro

Lurker
Apr 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, Ut
my first car for 2 yrs, was an 1964-912 (Porsche 4 banger)Porsche Red then wrecked it, well a guy hit me on the drivers side, the car was no more, then got a blue 1970 911T porsche witch i still have since 1986 and a 1948 willeys Jeep CJ-2A since 1963 (My dads, now mine)was raised around that jeep all my life.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
OH, I didn't mention I did watch my dad cut the tip of his finger off in the fan on it too. He said SOB go get me a band aid, LMAO!!!!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
1979 ford f150 with all the chrome and a Craig 8 track . Second car was better 1972 Monte Carlo burnt orange was in the Dupont Imron calender for a couple of years ,they painted it for free at the training center in Reno , hand built rat and a turbo 400 the best of everything parts wise moog front end , trw engine parts , spicer ujoints ,io inch rear , four core radiator , Sold to a friend when the baby came along all those years ago .Do you know what you get when you put six grand worth of engine parts in a Ford or Dodge . Something that runs almost as good as a stock Chevy . After selling parts and buying parts for 29 years I only drive Gm products .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
"You see 40 year old memories are as sharp as the day they happened, but you can't remember what you had for breakfast..... What did you have for breakfast Frank?

Jerry "Space Cowboys"

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
My first car was a 1978 Olds Cutless Supreme. It was one of the biggest pieces of junk mechanically, but cosmetically it looked really nice.
I was 16 when I bought it. The guy wanted $600 for it and I only wanted to pay $500 so we flipped a coin for the $100 difference and I won. When I got home my dad was pissed that I bought it without him knowing. I didn't know why back then, but I do now. I totally wasted my money. I only drove it for about 2 months or so before I gave up on it.
It was a piece of junk, but I will always remember that Olds. I had a great time with it for those 2 months and made quite a few memories.

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
86 Chevy S-10 4X4. Loved it! Little four cylinder four speed. Spend many weekends getting her stuck and unstuck from the mud pits. I would love to have that one back for my "woods truck" while up north at the cabin. Nothing special about that truck but the hours I spend toying on it still make me smile.

josh

Lurker
Feb 3, 2010
1977 Toyota Celica ... banana yellow... 5 speed. man i loved that car .... I wrecked it one night after i fell asleep at the wheel (1st and last time) :( I sold the car for parts and one of my friends dad bought it.. he took the engine and transmission out and put into another 77 and the damn thing is still running today :)

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Igloo, I'd stack my 72 Dodge Charger against your Chevy anytime. 500+hp 440 with 2.78 rear gears. You may get me for about 2 stoplights but after that, nothing but my tail lights. 165 MPH clocked on Arizona HP radar. $1100 in fines.
GOD, I LOVED THAT THING!!!

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
'77 Dodge Aspen - 225 slant six (indestructible motor) with a torqueflight 904 AT. Two-toned tan and copper (with quite a bit of rust mixed in). Mine was the "SS" version (super six) which meant that it had a whopping 2 barrel carter carb instead of a single...lol! Everybody always wanted to race me because the thing looked a lot like a Nova or Duster. Bought it for $50 bucks!

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
This is not mine but I have a 2000 BMW 323
4.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Found a picture of my 1969 Triumph Spitfire after I had a new paint job on it and I also rebuilt the motor in it myself at the ripe age of 18. Installed Venolia forged pistons, alloy tubular pushrods, ended up with 12:1 compression ratio.

Personalphotos025.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Also found a picture of my first race kart which I rebuilt and hand polished every Stainless Steel fastener/cap screws on. Imron paint..and it was featured in Kart Tech magazine.

Personalphotos026.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My first car was a 90 something two door white Chevy Lumina. Then I had a white '02 Cavalier with limo tint and American Racing rims until somebody in one of those clunkers Cadallac calls a car side swiped me and I had to get a new car. So now I drive an '06 black Chevy HHR LT. Plan on holding on to it for a while and eventually I wanna get the old school rims and white wall tires. Love that vintage 40's look.

Status
Not open for further replies.