PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
The nicotine kind,

I got my first buzz today~ Not sure what I expected but, I was taking a walk and of course would accidentally get a few little inhales, and i smoked a whole bowl like that. Felt little "Light" for lack of a better word and im gonna go ahead and say Im not aiming for it again. hahaha I need to work on puffing while walking or find a blend that is lower in nicotine hahaha!

Do you guys remember your first? does it ever happen again? (my father says it really doesn't) do any of you guys enjoy it? Just curious all. :puffy:

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
It was a cob that my grandfather kept in the shed I was 9! Liberty Long Cut Smoke or Chew, I hacked and heaved for two hours. It can be enjoyable after a long day when everything is finished to take the edge off, just slight though. If you normally smoke cigs you have to instinct to inhale but it all depends on the blend.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
My first buzz was turning green smoking Kendall Cream. I won't touch the stuff now. -bw

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My first buzz came a number of years ago during my initial tryst with Dunhill's Nightcap which I smoked in a large, bent, pot-bowled Savinelli. My mouth literally watered as I inhaled the enticing aromas of Latakia and Perique while packing my pipe. The flavor was great at the charring light, and only got better after the second.
I tend to puff hard, especially with blends that I like, and I LIKED this one. Accordingly, my puffing took on the aspect of a coal-fired locomotive pulling a 100-car-consist up a steep grade. As I rolled the smoke in my mouth it was full and satisfying--to paraphrase Richard Carleton Hacker, like smoking a huge filet mignon.
About 20 minutes into this ecstatic experience I suddenly began to perspire profusely. Next, the room began to spin and my pulse to race. I had to put down my pipe, have a cold shower, and retire to bed early in order to stave off the effects of what I later learned was a classic case of nicotine poisoning. I should add, however, that this was brought on by a classic case of greed and gluttony on my part. I simply could not get enough of that marvelous mixture fast enough!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My next door neighbor buddy used to pilfer cartons of cigarettes from his dad with just a pack or two

left, put them in his Radio Flyer red wagon, and head with me down to the "prairie" (vacant lot) where

they were building a new house. We'd hunker in the bushes and watch the work and smoke the cigarettes.

When I got home, just before supper, I'd be a pale green, and retire to the couch to recover. That's when

I met Old Saint Nic. We were about seven or eight, I think. With a pipe, it was cracking a new tin of

Nightcap and smoking it fast in a big-bowled pipe. I didn't turn green, but I certainly felt the ground move.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
Wow judging from these stories it could have been worse! hahaha huntertrw yours sounds the most like somthing I would do hahaha

Mar 1, 2014
One of my friends unrolled a cigarillo into a pipe (technically my first smoke), I had a very slight lightheaded sensation. I've never had it since.

What I have had is being nearly killed by a cigar (at least that's what it felt like) and getting nauseous from two bowls of Peterson Irish Flake in a row.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I get terrible nic hits and it doesn't seem to have ebbed any in the last year I've been smoking. Up until last summer I smoked cigars and never got a nic hit. I think there are two factors at play, both coming from my retiring because of a disability. First, I smoke three bowls a day instead of a cigar because of having more time and, secondly, because of the disability my conditioning is the worst it's been. I also think there is greater variation in nicotine amounts in pipe tobacco than in cigars, and some blenders actually add things to the blend just to boost nicotine levels. I've haven't gotten any less sensitive over the year, I just learned the baccys that I could tolerate and those I couldn't.

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
First time with pipe tobacco was a big bowl of Haddo's Delight. On an empty stomach. I was not delighted.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I never get "high" from nicotine anymore, been smoking way too long for that I think. I will occasionally give myself the hiccups if I puff a really strong blend to quickly, no real "head change" though.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've gotten a buzz off of Black House - not unpleasant, but it's not the reason I smoke it.

goinslow

Lurker
Jul 19, 2014
New guy at work. Sure Ill try some of that chewing tobacco..... I concentrated on not swallowing any of the nasty juice and was spitting like a rainbird. 30 seconds in woozy, 1 minute in ground was moving, 1 minute 10 seconds in projectile vomit like the exorcist.
I will never touch that stuff again.
Ever.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
@junkyarddawg 3 bowls of dunhill EMP on a walk- catching a few inhales (ive never inhaled tobacco in my life before then)a good 2 or 3 hours worth of that.

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
The first time I got a nicotine buzz is when some older kids convinced me to swallow Skoal. It was miserable.
First time with a pipe: My first tin of Royal Yacht in 2005.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Well reading these made me remember a buzz I had thankfully forgotten. It was a dip incident, no fun. I spit it out within 5 mins and still got hit with the nic.
With the pipes, was with Peterson's 3 Ps. It is some strong stuff, really sent me spinning. No other blend really hits me like that one, but cigars... Almost always! I think it's due to the leaf being on your lips and then giving that extra boost. Something sweet and a full stomach before hand with help/prevent that feeling.

Jul 29, 2014
I got one the other morning. Smoking a bowl on the deck before work. I am so trying to quit cigarettes and picked up the pipe... well I forgot I was wearing the patch and took a few inhales to boot. trying not to do that again! but ya know... it depends on the tobacco too. I Have flagged the culprit and will pay more attention to it in the future. or not, I'll let you know haha

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
My stomach and head have formed some kind of union which only cooperates with saint nic if i have already eaten. Full stomach = good smoking and minor side effects. empty stomach = dizzy woozy etc, this has not changed over the years so i have learnt to roll with it, actually, pack with it would be more appropriate.
My one extreme reaction to nic a few years ago involved a small bottle of jager, a large novel (war an peace) and a previous 3 month period without any tobacco. I got reading, puffing and sipping on the deck, it went fine for a while but towards the end of the bowl i launched up out of the chair and threw up all over the edge of the deck. I dont even like looking at the jagermeister label now, let alone drink it. This was previous to my discovery of peaty single malts

Status
Not open for further replies.