PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I have only been smoking a pipe for a year now and I see a few people rave about it so I ordered a tin.I just opened the tin.The smell reminds me a little of dreams of kadath.Well it loaded and lit.I won't make any judgements till it settles down.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I have only been smoking a pipe for a year now and I see a few people rave about it so I ordered a tin.I just opened the tin.The smell reminds me a little of dreams of kadath.Well it loaded and lit.I won't make any judgements till it settles down.

Just ordered 8oz from SP. Let us know.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Those who like it, like it a lot.
And I like it a lot! Be careful, I heard tale the cleaning solution aboard the Frigate looks awfully similar to the rum. It's got a few of the crew about a half a bubble off plumb. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
And I like it a lot! Be careful, I heard tale the cleaning solution aboard the Frigate looks awfully similar to the rum. It's got a few of the crew about a half a bubble off plumb. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
They taste pretty much the same too!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The smell reminds me a little of dreams of kadath.
When Kadath first came out, I thought the same thing. Been enjoying BF for twenty years, hope the same for you. If you find it is a favorite, other blends that may interest you are Blockade Runner, Speakeasy Navy Flake, Sextant, and Navigator.
They taste pretty much the same too!
The rum is a little sweeter. :rofl:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This starting to resemble certain threads about Royal Yuck! I am going to buy a can of this stuff and see what all the fuss is about. Is there only one blend or several. Please advise?

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Is there only one blend or several. Please advise?
Only one can claim to be the Black Frigate, by C&D. They do have two tin options, a 2 oz and an 8 oz tin. I like it so much I'm likely buying the 8 oz tin next time. Come one, come all, the ship's a-sailing!

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I'm a little over half way smoking out of a mm country gentleman and I'm suprised I like as much as I do because I'm not a big Latakia smoker.I tell you tho they got this right.This would be my limit for the Latakia,but it works well when they all start working together about a quarter into the bowl.Im still amazed how you can get such a creamy texture and taste from such a pungent leaf.More when I finish.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
This would be my limit for the Latakia,but it works well when they all start working together about a quarter into the bowl.
My thinking as well. I'm not a fan of lat bombs, but when Latakia is used in condimental amounts, it frames the blend and is sublime.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I can can see why people love it so much.While I don't think no one has found a perfect blend as while describing how they like it you always get the little comments of it would be perfect if it only had a little more orientals or so on.Keep in mind I'm not a big latikia smoker,but I liked the one bowl and look forward to finishing the tin.I will also just smoke this till it's finished so it gets all my attention because I do find it interesting.Will it take up a large part of my cellar?Don't know.Will I keep a can or two around?Yes.I like that creaminess that comes with the slight bitterness of the Latakia and Cavendish.Also the sweet and slightly tangy flavors I guess is from the Turkish leaf.Nothing over powers like in late bombs but when you get it going and it settles and you mouth adjust you get a solid smoke with nicotine that creeps up on you and taps you on the shoulder and not hit you in the head with a shovel.As a matter of fact imlve talked myself into loading another bowl now.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Right on Brother! Smoke it til it's gone, it's what I'm doing. I got my tin last Thursday, smoked a bowl that night and loved it, so I took the tin to work with me Friday, pulled out enough to dry for a days worth of smoking to let it dry under my work fan, which I used to just run for the sound and if I get too hot, but it's now my tobacco drying fan. Within a short time, I had four bowls packed and ready to go. I typically don't smoke more than once, or twice a day, but that stuff just hit the spot. The smokiness of it really gets me. I love it. Now the nicotine was more than I was used to, but a Hersey's chocolate bar and ice cold glass of tea and 'bergs sure made it quite the enjoyable day. Smoked the last bowl on the way home, but got there before it was finished, so I sat that cob to the side to finish this morning, since I had some ODF and LBF at home I wanted to try this weekend. It's some mighty good stuff for sure. I'm glad you enjoyed it, cricket!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That's why I love Yenidje Highlander so well. The interplay of the Yenidje leaf with the Latakia is heavenly.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One of our member's reviews:
Meh...I just taste a flat sub-par very Latakia forward blend, with a whisper of rum. I wish that I could find the joy in this that so many others seem to, but it tasted so one dimensionally of Cyrprian Latakia to me, that I lost interest less than halfway into my first bowlful. I smoked...or rather made myself smoke half of the tin that I had purchased, trying to find this glorious flavor that many others have found, but Black Frigate just isn't for me. G.L. Peases' Sextant is much, much better in the rum topped/Navy English category for those looking for something with actual complexity and body.
I have to see if I have a bit stashed away from a sampler I got a couple of years ago.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
"Those who like it, like it a lot. " -- Making a "career move," eh, Miket? }:)
"about half a bubble off" -- And that's just the guys that drink, cc! Me, I'm like that just on room air & Diet Coke! :twisted:

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
That's what I'm looking for.Orientals arey favorite I've found out.I love the tangy sweet flavors.I didn't know McClelland was going under so I didn't get around to the Grand orientals because I was buying Labrador for my uncle but he quit the pipe anyway back on subject.This bowl is a mm unfinished apple diplomat and it let's the sweetness of the cavedish move to the front.Im going back to the gent.Also I let the tobbaco dry a little more.But I'm dailing it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.