PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
My IPSD bag of SotE came in today, 1lb and it may not be enough.

I just about passed out while listening to the PM Radio show with the warmth of the spring sun radiating all around me (it's probably 5 degrees above freezing), I even took my boots off. Barefoot, pipe in mouth sucking on meat flavoured candy. I can't believe people can look down on this hobby.
Right now I've got to put Star of the East, Hermit (Captain Earl's) Stimulus Package and G.L. Pease Gaslight all as equals on my list of best Latakia blends.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
You have nailed down the list of what I consider the Hall of Fame hitters in Latakia rankings. SOTE and Gaslight are keepers for sure.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Frozen CW & Settersbrace:
Try another one of Craig Tarler's "so under the radar it's ridiculous" blends: Low Country Black. I stumbled across it by accident and have never looked back.
I will also whorishly and shamelessly shill for C&D's Montford Point Marines. Chunk in some Nightcap and there's six blends alone mentioned in this thread I would smoke happily until end times.
Fnord

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Since we're going on about C&D blends, I'm going to "fly the flag" a bit too. Mountain Camp is one of my favorites, and I enjoy it often.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
I have got to try Stimulus Package. It seems to becoming up more when Latakia blends are being talked about. I really enjoy Star of the East, Gaslight and Pirate Kake.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I've only had the ribbon cut Star of the East. I have a tin of the flake that I haven't opened yet, but will probably do so here shortly.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I guess it is ribbon cut, not ready rubbed. That's what I've had. Very nice stuff. Would like to try the flake.

Mar 1, 2014
After reading reviews of Low Country Black I absolutely must have some. Lat-bombs are great but if you can get the sweetness in there too, that sounds amazing (err, "ok I guess", don't want to hype myself up too much).

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Folks:
This is comforting.
It is good to be manly men, doing manly things, in the company of men.
Smoking Lat forward blends doesn't get much manlier...unless you're female, gay or trans-gendered.
That said, our weed of choice offends damned near everybody. But our campfire smokey rooms are open to all and every mother loving one of us welcome any piper who chooses to annoy or assault somebody else's olfactory senses with Latakia. (However, you Emo types have to hang your pork pies on the hall hat rack. You guys. I mean, c'mon already.)
We've drawn our line in the sand and will happily blow smoke united under the rainbow banner!
Fnord

Mar 1, 2014
It's interesting seeing people's thoughts of Nightcap, I just finished another bowl (same conditions, same podcast actually, I love hearing about those Magnums, need to hunt down one of those Castello's) and Nigthcap is a pretty different beast. Nic aside, the flavour is different and the smell is very different.

SotE is a pure campfire, which brings back memories of marshmallows and the like, and the savoury taste is stronger. Unfortunately I recoil a bit at the smell of Nightcap.

If I were to go out and spend a few nights camping while smoking nightcap I'm sure that would fix it, but just as a note on the tobacco itself I have to put Nightcap in a different category.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah Star of the East is a great blend. If you want to make a great cigar blend I've taken SOTE and mixed it about 50/50 with C&D's Habana daydream and it really sung, as the habana daydream is a bit on the strong side and SOTE is really smooth, so the mixture really works. Plus you get the dark maduro cigar leaf in SOTE and the lighter cigar leaf in habana daydream, it's the best cigar blend I've experienced in a pipe so far.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Reading this post reminds of yet one more "blend in my past" that I need to order again. Just recently bought some Habana Daydream for the first time in about a year. Enjoying this stuff.
Some C&D blends I enjoy are:

Habana Daydream - DaVinci - Old Joe Krantz - and Star of the East

Status
Not open for further replies.