Tags:   

First Bowl of Black Frigate

(101 posts)
  • Started 11 months ago by scooterdoo
  • Latest reply from carolinachurchwarden
  1. scooterdoo

scooterdoo

Login to Send PM

I know, I know, I'm preaching to the choir, but wow! I'm blown away. It's 12:30 AM and I have work tomorrow and I'm considering staying up so I can smoke another bowl. I really, really enjoyed this. The latakia, the rum...it was all just so delicious. Kept me interested the whole bowl.

My only question is: how can I get this in bulk?

Posted 11 months ago #
  2. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My only question is: how can I get this in bulk?
    Unfortunately, it can only be had in tins. Glad you enjoyed the Frigate. It really is a fantastic smoke.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 11 months ago #
  3. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear it! Sadly not available in bulk. Years ago prior to Laudasi acquiring C&D, you could buy a pound brick of it like Pirate Kake, but no longer.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 11 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of Black Frigate on this forum. Quite possibly the crew gets to the poster beforehand and, ahem, deals with it.

Posted 11 months ago #
  5. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of Black Frigate on this forum. Quite possibly the crew gets to the poster beforehand and, ahem, deals with it.

I love Latakia blends, even alcohol topped Latakia blends, but something about Black Frigate does not appeal to me. I bought 3 tins a year or so ago. With high hopes and expectations, I loaded a bowl. I lit it and puffed away. Much to my surprise I hated it. I dumped it after half done. I've tried it 4 more times, with the same results. I traded the 2 un-open tins.

I'm glad you guys love it.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  6. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...how can I get this in bulk?

Ye climb aboard the ship and pillage with the rest of us!

You don't think we're after the gold and wimmin , do ya?

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 11 months ago #
  7. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I been smoking through some myself. Withholding my opinions as not to seem gung ho on the current fan favorite. But, I will say this, I've enjoyed every bowl. I do however, like to let it breathe a little while before filling a pipe.

Jason
    Posted 11 months ago #
  8. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

crew gets to the poster beforehand and, ahem, deals with it.

Welllll, yeah, we, er, have been known to do that. But only for those who look like they might try to mutiny again' The Captain. As chief keelhauler I get 'em first (tenderizes them), & then I give them to CCW for the captain's mess. [And you wondered how it got that name. :twisted:]

in bulk?

Ye climb aboard the ship and pillage with the rest of us!

Exactly. There's a reason pirate coat pockets are the size they arrrrrre!

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  9. skeeter456

skeeter456

Login to Send PM

Black frigate is so good! My last tobacco order sadly did not have any in it since the company was sold out

Posted 11 months ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoyed a tin of it, but haven't reordered because of the abundance of blend samples sent me by Forums members from the Chicago pipe show, a long delayed opening of a tin of SG Brown Sugar Flake, and many other delectable options on hand. I'll order another tin in my slow-motion way. It's a commendable full-strength blend that is subtle and complex at the same time, carefully proportioned. Few regret ordering at tin.

Posted 11 months ago #
  11. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a tin of BF waiting for me at home when I get back from school today, and I'm very excited to see if it lives up to the hype. It seems like something I'd be into, so my fingers are crossed.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 11 months ago #
  12. upnorth1

upnorth1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lads, were going to be plunderin' a shipment of Frigate, we'd best be makin' use of our special crew!!!

Posted 11 months ago #
  13. upnorth1

upnorth1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Special crew to lure 'em in!!!

Posted 11 months ago #
  14. scooterdoo

scooterdoo

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear it! Sadly not available in bulk. Years ago prior to Laudasi acquiring C&D, you could buy a pound brick of it like Pirate Kake, but no longer.

Wow, that's rough. I guess I'll just have to slowly accumulate 8 oz tins.

Posted 11 months ago #
  15. scooterdoo

scooterdoo

Login to Send PM

I have a tin of BF waiting for me at home when I get back from school today, and I'm very excited to see if it lives up to the hype. It seems like something I'd be into, so my fingers are crossed.

Let us know!

Posted 11 months ago #
  16. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the hype.

Hap, dear brother, when it comes to BF, there's no such thing. It's simply telling troo trufe.

Y'know, upnorth, it's funny -- for special crew she doesn't look anything like Olivia de Havilland or Maureen O'Hara, but from the look I'm betting we won't have to fire a shot. They'll strike their colors the instant they see her!

Posted 11 months ago #
  17. vikingtim82

vikingtim82

Login to Send PM

I am going to be purchasing my first Black Frigate this week! Hopefully there will still be some available for my consumption! Thanks Bill for suggesting this blend!

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.
    - Edward Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 11 months ago #
  18. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tried BF several times and wanted to like it but never did. OTOH I tried GLP Gaslight several times and didn't like it at all and then one day, bang-zoom I loved it. Gaslight has become my daily go-to.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 11 months ago #
  19. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bill for suggesting this blend!

Bill is our resident enabler!

Posted 11 months ago #
  20. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah? Who do you think hooked him?

Posted 11 months ago #
  21. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I thought you promoted him to that job so you can spend more time with your pipes?

Posted 11 months ago #
  22. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

You have a point.

Posted 11 months ago #
  23. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or his chrome dome. And all of this comes down JUST when I had the perfect Howl-o-ween costume for him!

slash your embers

Thanks Bill for suggesting this blend!

Enabler, hell -- I'm a PUSHER! "C'mon, baby, try it. First one's free!" hehehehehe Oh, BTW, Tim, if you can't get hold of any right off, I've got an unopened tin I'd be glad to send you. Seriously. I'm not cellaring (yet, at least), but when I buy tobaccy, I buy tobaccy. }:)

Posted 11 months ago #
  24. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"promoted."

OK, great, now Ive gotta go back & edit my sig again.

Posted 11 months ago #
  25. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tried BF several times and wanted to like it but never did.

Yeah, like everything, kola, it's all just personal taste buds. Love, Hate, or Meh. I like some Dunhill blends OK, RY for example, but Nightcap & EMP just never did anything for me at all. BCA I think is fabulous, but some other black cavs I just can't bloody stand. Even some lat-bombs don't do the trick for me, although if you give me straight lat you won't hear from me for hours, if not days; I'll be too busy stoking & fuming. All in the individual tongue!

Bill

Posted 11 months ago #
  26. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Love that hat Bill!

Posted 11 months ago #
  27. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, it is killer, ain't it? And just your style too!

Me, I'm thinking pulling out this mask again this year. A lot of our students dob't like it. I may post it for cosmic too, since he says he loves clowns.

Posted 11 months ago #
  28. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shiver me timbers! Looks like we 'ave another one for tha' crew, boys! We're gonna 'ave to bring on another piper soon before tha' bilge rat population drops and we're forced to eat more of Bill's chili!

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 11 months ago #
  29. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, my chili does tend to obliterate at times. When we would cook for Mensa potlucks & I did chili (popular demand) I always had to make two batches & label them for public safety. One was "Reg'lar chili," & the name of the other one said it all:

"May God Have Mercy On Your Heathen Soul."

Posted 11 months ago #
  30. vikingtim82

vikingtim82

Login to Send PM

Thanks Bill I appreciate it. I will let you know if I can find any. If not we might have to go on a pillage to find some. Lol!
    And happy to be on board guys that is if you let me join the crew!

Posted 10 months ago #
  31. vikingtim82

vikingtim82

Login to Send PM

My first bowl of BF is packed and lit, it is pretty good stuff! I will buy it again and recommend it as well!

Posted 10 months ago #
  32. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, Vikingtim! To join the crew you have to hop around in circles on one leg while spinning your arms around, and saying, "Doopiddy dingle dingle slow slump, ferniggity foo Sloppy Joes are better than Manwich..... turtleflump!"

Posted 10 months ago #
  33. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered a couple of tins of BF. After smoking that rather quickly, I ordered 10 more tins. I am now down to one tin and need to put in another order. Maybe this time I'll go 20 tins.

That is ridiculous. I am sick. But I love BF and have got to have it. You hear, none for you! All for me.

Help me, someone. I need hel[. I am hooked on BF. It is soooo good, I could smoke it in my sleep!

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 10 months ago #
  34. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Help me, someone.

Alls you gotta do, is send it all to me bunk... I'll take care of the rest. You buy it to satisfy the itch of needing to purchase, I'll smoke it so it goes away... Sounds like a decent trade to me...

Posted 10 months ago #
  35. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I'm gonna have to break down and get a tin of this to try it. Gotta see what the hype is all about...

"the weez"...
    Posted 10 months ago #
  36. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

have got to have it

[Hard yank on pole, reel reel reel reel reel reel, gaff, net] Got another one, Duane! This one was easier to land than most of 'em!

Posted 10 months ago #
  37. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let it to ccw to make things easier for tje newly addicted!

Posted 10 months ago #
  38. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black Frigate with its rum demonstrates how flavoring should be used to bring up the taste of the tobaccos. That's how it's done. For me, that's the standard.

Posted 10 months ago #
  39. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well Bill, that's just how I roll. The caring shouldn't end with sharing and hooking all the new recruits we can get. It should extend to helping those in need of relinquishing a horde of BF that they just can't seem to handle. I'll always be here with an open pipe ready to help any of those who need a helping hand, dispose of their stash...

Black Frigate with its rum demonstrates how flavoring should be used to bring up the taste of the tobaccos. That's how it's done. For me, that's the standard.

Excellent point, MSO. I love how the rum is incorporated, but I love how most, if not all, of C&D blends seems to use flavoring in a way that enhances the tobaccos, not covering up sub par tobaccos with a flavoring.

Posted 10 months ago #
  40. vikingtim82

vikingtim82

Login to Send PM

Thanks @ Anthony Rosenthal seems easy enough lmao!! Looks like I will have to purchase more next week when I get paid again, I am all about storing and bulking up on tobacco especially blends like this! Good stuff. So if the end is near fellow brothers fear not just come to my place there will be plenty for all. Good tobacco and good drinks haha! I'm down with stock piling for the apocalypse!!

Posted 10 months ago #
  41. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

That is ridiculous. I am sick. But I love BF and have got to have it. You hear, none for you! All for me.

Yeah, but do you have these?

Posted 10 months ago #
  42. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ready to help any of those who need a helping hand

Yeah, that's you all over, cc. NEVER let it be said that you're not the ultimate altruist, ever ready to sacrifice yourself for the benefit of others.

Posted 10 months ago #
  43. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

After all this talk about Black Frigate and all the pirate ships and cannon kabooms appearing under members' posts, I finally decided to give this one a go. It's a nice blend. The tin I have will last me a good long while as I'm not a big consumer of latakia blends, but it's a very nice blend.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 10 months ago #
  44. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that's you all over, cc. NEVER let it be said that you're not the ultimate altruist, ever ready to sacrifice yourself for the benefit of others.

Aye, me mother always taught me that if another needs help, then lend them a hand, and if'n he be needin' to spend money, you help him with that too, and if'n he has more'n he needs, help reduce his portion to somethin' more manageable...wait, maybe some of that might have been instruction from the Cap'n prior to pilferin' and plunderin' ships...

I finally decided to give this one a go. It's a nice blend.

BOOM! All canons fire! Cap'n we just landed another! Glad you like it Jesse. Every time I venture away from it for the purpose of trying something new and when I come back to it, it's just as good if not better than before I left. I just really love the depth to it. I'm a big fan of dark and spiced rums though, so it kind of matches my personality. I love those deep, rich flavors. It's why I love porter's and stouts, it's why I love port and pretty much anything with a rich and bold flavor.

Posted 10 months ago #
  45. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agreed 100% on all the nice words said about BF. Additionally, it's probably the easiest to pack and smoke of any blend I've ever tried. I dry it about 10-15 minutes, and it's the only blend I can routinely smoke all the way down to ash on just one light.

Posted 10 months ago #
  46. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, the folks over at C&D do it right. One of the many reasons if I develop a certain love for any one blender in particular, it might just be C&D. I just love how easy they are to smoke. You don't have to worry if it dries out too much because to be perfectly honest, I let some dry out waaaaaay too much a month or so ago and it was crispy. I'm talking about crunchy-to-the-bone. To the point that I was sure the whole bowl was going to go up in a massive 3-alarm fire rush, but nope. It crunched all the way into the bowl, lit like a dream and smoked almost all the way down to ash on one light. Had the same flavor as when I dried some for about 10 minutes and was still pliant. I have a tough choice to make between Maltese Falcon and Black Frigate most days because I love them both. Today will most certainly be a BF day. Drying some out right now as I type.

Posted 10 months ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thinking of trying BF. Does it taste like an aro?

Posted 10 months ago #
  48. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a hard question to answer, as it depends on what you'd say an aro tastes like. I will say that lots of devout non-aro smokers still love BF. I can taste the rum, but the predominant flavors are the constituent tobaccos.

Posted 10 months ago #
  49. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Do Navy Flakes?

Posted 10 months ago #
  50. vikingtim82

vikingtim82

Login to Send PM

Chasing Embers those are some nice tins! Glad to see we are getting more to try BF, C&D better make sure they keep this in stock!
    Carolina churchwarden how long do you usually set yours out to dry? I have tried the 10-15 minute dry time which was good but last night I was in a hurry so rubbed out and did the automatic pack and light. I didn't notice much difference and it tasted just as good with no issues of burnout, I think I had to relight only once if even that.

Posted 10 months ago #
  51. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

needin' to spend money, you help him with that too, and if'n he has more'n he needs, help reduce his portion

Y'mama trained you up right, bro', 's all I've got to say.

Jesse, you're always one of the more sober types, & totally honestly there are more than a few times when I visualize you more sensible ones getting more than a tad bored with the tedious "humor" we lay out about the stuff. I'm glad you tried it, & even more so that you liked it. You can probably see now why the total package of it is a trigger for the contingent of crazies who're kind of "Dartmouth" about it: "It's a small ship, but there are those who love it."

Bill

Posted 10 months ago #
  52. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"It's a small ship, but there are those who love it."
    Yes... we all moved to port side to watch two whales... ahem doing that thing... ahem... two whales making friendly, and we nearly capsized. It was Bill's idea.

Posted 10 months ago #
  53. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Carolina churchwarden how long do you usually set yours out to dry?

Well, I usually set it out about 10-15 minutes before I'm ready to fill my bowl, but sometimes have gotten busy at work and it became more like 30 minutes, but like you say, it doesn't take too much. When it was a fresh tin, I let it dry a little longer because it was more moist, but as it dried out a little more in the tin I ended up jarring it because it was almost to the point of too dry in the cake. Now all I do it pinch off a hunk, sprinkle it out and about 10 or 15 minutes is plenty.

I have loaded a bowl one day after drying some and forgot about it completely due to work getting crazy then just wanted to go home. It was waiting for me the next afternoon and when I struck it up it was like wildfire and dry to the bone, but still smoked like a dream. I swear, you can mistreat it something awful and she's very forgiving to you.

Posted 10 months ago #
  54. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I really never dry it. Just break off a chunk, rub it out, and gravity fill. I've loved this one for nearly twenty years, and next year I may open one of those metal tins.

Posted 10 months ago #
  55. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was Bill's idea

Look, I TOLD y'all up front it was hornographic. Ain't my fault if you're all a bunch of preverts. And here I was just about to compliment your Slash chapeau. I'm gonna sic the unicorn on you after I dose him with some more cleaning fluid. Tpft.

Posted 10 months ago #
  56. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Look, I TOLD y'all up front it was hornographic. Ain't my fault if you're all a bunch of preverts. And here I was just about to compliment your Slash chapeau. I'm gonna sic the unicorn on you after I dose him with some more cleaning fluid. Tpft.
    Oh no need. I actually found it quite educational. They (the whales)seemed to be enjoying themselves anyway, and of course it reminded me of McClelland's tin art. So, other than getting a face full of sea water.... and whatever else was in it with them two whales doing what they were doing, it was a splendid sight!

Posted 10 months ago #
  57. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Do Navy Flakes?

NO.........

Posted 10 months ago #
  58. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

You should be good then. Was just wondering how much of a rum hit you got from the Navy Flakes.

Posted 10 months ago #
  59. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Embers

You said you like to gravity feed BF right? Do you punch it down at all or just leave it really loose?

I’m absolutely lovin BF but I think I packed it a little too much. Lots of relights. Thanks.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 10 months ago #
  60. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Hey Embers
    You said you like to gravity feed BF right? Do you punch it down at all or just leave it really loose?

I fill the bowl and tap it against my knuckle to settle it, but no more than that. When I need to tamp I only use the weight of the tamper to push down the ash without placing pressure on the pack. Skip to 1:45 in this video to the cube cut section. I use the same technique with BF.

https://youtu.be/OP5MjK8KS7U

Posted 10 months ago #
  61. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You said you like to gravity feed BF right?

To gravity feed BF appropriately:

1.) Open the tin and pull out the cake.
    2.) Crumble the whole thing on a plate for drying.
    3.) Cut a small whole in the side of the tin, near the bottom that's large enough to stick a reed in.
    4.) Find a reed, hollow it out a little.
    5.) Insert reed into the hole you just made in the tin.
    6.) Grab plate of freshly crumbled, dry, deliciousness that is BF.
    7.) Tip the plate into the tin and let gravity do the work.
    8.) Grab torch, light the BF and enjoy for about 12 hours.

Posted 10 months ago #
  62. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think I've ever seen a bad review of Black Frigate on this forum.

..caus "Embers" and a few other scallywags have hacked the page and bought off the mods to promote their precious blend...

I could be mistaken though

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 10 months ago #
  63. vikingtim82

vikingtim82

Login to Send PM

No bad reviews here and especially not in this topic! I never notice a difference some days I will let it sit out for about 5-15 minutes, other days a straight in the pipe and light always taste good either way! Definitely one I will be stocking up on. There is just some blends I refuse to get too low on! Black Frigate is my go to as soon as I get home every night

Posted 10 months ago #
  64. vikingtim82

vikingtim82

Login to Send PM

Posted 10 months ago #
  65. upnorth1

upnorth1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This site can’t be reached
    https’s server IP address could not be found.
    Go to https://goo.gl/
    Search Google for https goo images PUQ Zdp
    ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Try again.

Posted 10 months ago #
  66. vikingtim82

vikingtim82

Login to Send PM

Was trying to load a photo but can't get it to work. I think I need to pack up another bowl of BF!

Posted 10 months ago #
  67. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

..caus "Embers" and a few other scallywags have hacked the page and bought off the mods to promote their precious blend...
    I could be mistaken though

Shhhhhhhh!

Posted 10 months ago #
  68. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

.caus "Embers" and a few other scallywags have hacked the page and bought off the mods to promote their precious blend...
    I could be mistaken though [:rofl:]

Shhhhhhhh! [:rofl:]

I truly HATE it when they find us out like that.

Posted 10 months ago #
  69. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who squealed?

Posted 10 months ago #
  70. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who squealed?

Well, being's it was Bill's idea to watch the um....nature display between two whales and nearly capsized us...I'm leaning towards Bill. Lest he has something to say fer hisself proving otherwise. I mean, we all know Bill can't handle his cleaning fluid and when a purty little sailor gal shimmies right up to him and starts asking questions...well...I mean you can't blame him too much, can yah?

Posted 10 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, smittyd, the85boro, jguss, donjgiles, yaboofive, skeeter456, cosmicfolklore