PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarnes

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
Well, first bowl and a half. I started this morning by getting a fire going in the chiminea on my back porch. Once that was going I made a good, simple American breakfast -- scrambled eggs, sausage, and toast, eggs topped with some Valentina hot sauce. With the fire going strong I made myself a mug of tea and got situated in front of the fire to smoke my first bowl.
I started with my Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe packed with some Peterson Aran. Figuring out the appropriate technique for the charring light took a few attempts, but I think I finally got it down. I enjoyed that first pipe for a good 30 minutes before accidentally blowing through the stem and getting a nice face full of ash. I was about 2/3 of the way through, so I decided to empty it out and try my second pipe.
The second pipe is a non-branded curved stem pipe made in England. Looks like briar, but who am I to say? The bowl holds about 3/4 or less that of the corn cob does. I packed this one with some Sutliff Mixture #79. My technique had significantly improved after the first pipe, and I only had to relight a few times. However, I needed to use the bathroom, and decided that 1 1/2 bowls was enough for my first outing. I followed the session up with a thorough oral rinse with water, followed up by brushing my teeth and using some mouthwash.
Some observations:

1) I definitely see the appeal of the ritual and forced down time smoking a pipe requires.

2) Having never smoked anything I wasn't sure what to expect. The smoke wasn't as harsh as I expected, but I was expecting a bit more flavor from these aromatics. Perhaps they are fairly mild? I'm generally not a fruity person, but I wonder what a cherry tobacco would be like.

3) I actually enjoy relighting.

4) Having never smoked, I wasn't sure what kind of nicotine "hit" I might experience. Since you don't inhale like cigarettes you aren't going to get as much nicotine, but still wasn't sure. I can't say I am experiencing anything I would attribute to nicotine, however.

5) Smoking is very much like drinking bourbon or scotch. It will take some time to develop a "taste" for it and to learn to tease out all the subtle differences between tobaccos.
I'm thinking I might like to try some stronger aromatics. I've got some Lane 1-Q, Orlik Golden Sliced (non-aromatic, I know), Sutliff Burma Road, and some Peter Stokkebye English Luxury on the way to try.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
In my experience, you will get more flavor from non-aromatics. The aromatic tobaccos don't tend to give flavor so much as aroma. Thus the name. They smell like things, altering how you are tasting the tobacco, but not putting flavor in your mouth. Not all agree with me. Enjoy the ongoing journey.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I just started smoking pipes just 3 months ago and I agree with crash, I don't get much "flavor" from aromatics, but they sure do smell nice.
Enjoy the journey!

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
You did better on your first try than I did. My first attempt was with a blend that was very moist right out of the tin. I probably didn't pack it right, and I had no idea about drying it out first, so I had no success keeping it lit for more than 5 seconds.
I'm also a relative newbie, and I also find that the English blends have stronger flavors than the aromatics. That is a bit of a downside for me in regards to the English blends--I like the flavor, but the taste stays in my mouth longer afterward to the point of affecting the flavor of food and drink later in the day--and I can even still taste it the next day, sometimes. Maybe I'm sensitive to this because I've never been a smoker of any type before.
I don't seem to have that issue with the aromatics.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
I can even still taste it the next day
The elusive aftertaste , sometimes its a good thing , but I haven't found one yet
Anybody recommend a good tobacco for pleasant aftertaste .?

ckarnes

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
I'm eager to try the Orlik Golden Sliced I have arriving today. That will be a weekend smoke I think.

davem

Might Stick Around
Oct 21, 2018
South Carolina
I had a first today myself... my first full bowl without a relight since recently picking the pipe back up after around 20 years away... I was amazed!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Glad you had a pleasant first bowl! Mine was ... Not.
A good rule of thumb I read on here was that aromatics were for the people around you to enjoy, like incense. But like with anything pipe related, that is subjective.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was expecting a bit more flavor from these aromatics.
Aromatics are never good when starting out. It can take many years to fully appreciate them. Starting with strong flavored Latakia and Burley blends will help attune your sense of taste for smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A good rule of thumb I read on here was that aromatics were for the people around you to enjoy, like incense.
After nearly thirty years, they all taste how they smell to me now.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Cheers on your first bowl. Your reflections are well interpreted. Keep at it. Aros do not have the most “flavor”. They touch the olfactory system for sure (smell), baut for full flavor, you deep the depth of good tobacco, the mouth feel, the finish, the retro Hale, and more. Keep at it, it takes a while to get the full range of flavors

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
My first bowl had bad tobacco (Geross) and gurgling if I remember well (due to a poorly constructed churchwarden Imbuia pipe).
I kept going on because pipes are amazing despite the bad experience.

ckarnes

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
A few more observations after a few more bowls Each bowl is smoking better than the last, probably due to better packing and lighting technique. Also, I'm liking each tobacco better than the last. I just finished a bowl of Peter Stokkebye English Luxury and it is the best yet. I had previously only tried aromatics, but I'm thinking English blends may be more my cup of tea. Looking forward to trying some Orlik Golden Sliced also.
I found that with English Luxury, the flavor peaked around mid-bowl, and by 3/4 it was tapering off. Near the end it got ashy, but I think I was being too aggressive with the relights.
I've got a Peterson Killarney 106 on the way that I may dedicate to English-style/non-aromatic blends.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You are well on your way. Congrats on the rapid learning curve. Mine was slower, but along much the same lines of aro's to English. Now I'm more into Virginias, Orientals and VaPers, but the Latakia blends are always a comfort food for me. I still get a hankering for my first blend though, Sutliff Great Outdoors.
Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.