PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
So, I am pretty new to the art. I have been smoking/piping (what verb should I use here??) for about a month and enjoy it quite a lot. Here is my initial post: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/greetings-and-a-few-questions#post-501598 I enjoyed FMOTT a lot. 1Q was ok but the main point was my girlfriend enjoyed the aroma so for now I rotate FMOTT and 1Q. It makes her happy at least.
I was going to make an order on 4noggins consisting of: Frog Morton Cellar, McClelland Holiday Spirit, Dunhill Nightcap and (heres my problem) Dunhill Flake. BUT the Flake is out of stock and I was really interested in trying a flake. Can anyone suggest another Flake, or should I wait for 4noggins to restock and how long do you think that would last?
Thanks a lot in advance!

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake is supposed to be very similar, although I haven't tried it. There also plenty out there that aren't straight virginias. Peterson University Flake - virginias, burleys, Kentucky and some plum topping - is also a good bet.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a nice order, if you are dead set on trying a flake, give Peterson University Flake a try. I'm not a big flake guy, but it's a decent smoke. As far as a flake/cake/plug form is concerned, I prefer Hearth & Home "10 To Midnight" (available at Pipesandcigars.com). It's a cake style, Latakia forward tobacco, and it's by far my favorite!

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Peter Stokebyes Lux Navy Flake is also a good place to start, its bulk, cheap, and im sure Rich would put in a sample of it upon request.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
If you can't wait for the Dunhill Flake to be in stock, try Capstan Blue or Yellow, the latter being closer to DF than the former, though I prefer the Blue.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I could be cruel to a new smoker and suggest Irish Flake, but you'd probably need to keep a trash can nearby. One of my favorites.
I'm going to go with also suggesting Sam Gawith Best Brown Flake. I remember it being pretty mellow on the nicotine, and having great taste.
You will need to dry out the SG flakes for at least a 1/2 hour, maybe more. They come very (too) moist, and are the only flakes I ever dry before smoking.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The blend that in my opinion is closest to Dunhill Flake is Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. It also comes ready to smoke out of the tin with no drying time needed.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I'm busy taking notes on all the VA smokers suggestions! Of course that means yet another order. My wife will be thrilled. My investment in our future excuse at every order is getting thin. :rofl:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bulk Dark Flake Unscented in a Nording Signature...

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Now, I have to choose.... What to do!? :?

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
If it's any consolation to you, I'm sure you will be ordering again, so you will have plenty of opportunities to try many things :)

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
That is true Tarak! But, I live in Japan so taxes get pretty ridiculous.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
Well I decided to order Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake. Sorry for all the others. I can't buy them all! (wont stop me from trying) I haven't tried it but I am anxiously waiting here in Japan.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
IMHO GH Dark Flake, scented or unscented, is nothing like Dunhill Flake. It is a nicotine monster with an entirely dissimilar flavor. It is one of my top 3 smokes but nothing like the amiable Dunfill Flake.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would call you a fool if you didn't get in on McClelland's Christmas Cheer, it's the best Va crop 5 years old released once a year at Christmas for a limited release then it's gone. It's a flake, somewhat broken but with nice flakes you can still easily cube or fold and stuff. Personally I just rub it out. But yes, it's a yearly treat, and always premium flake with 5 years age when you buy it.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Kendodan, I just placed another order for 3 tins of the Best Brown Flake. I'm new to flake tobacco myself and have almost all of the ones mentioned above in my cellar, but in my opinion Best Brown Flake is the best of the lot. Don't get me wrong, any of the suggestions are good, this just happens to be my favourite of the lot and it seems to be less fussy than the others for flake newbies like me. Pair it with a nice cup of coffee and you'll what all the fuss is about.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would say you should try Escudo.
Also I if you want an aromatic flake try Mac Baren's Vanilla Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.