PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Bought a pipe kit from Alexander Pipes on eBay have a pic somewhere of the origional kit but after 3 hours with the Dremel this is the result. I didn't worry too much about the finish because of hidden cracks that I had to cut out by sanding a trench around the pipe but that added to the finished pipe. I didn't dye it mainly because the finish was dark enough and also because I didn't have any dye. The only finish is a buff. Hope you like, it smokes like a dream.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I like it. Another member gets his pipe maker on. 3 hours to shape it? How long to buff it? I like the color.

The kit came with THAT stem and banding? Nice.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
Yes the kit came with the stem and banding, a similar item is here
eBay Pipe Kit by Alexander
Also using the dremel and a heavy hand on medium (or a bit higher) it slightly burnt the outer layer and gave me that result. The whole project took 3 hours, only gave it a quick buff using White Dialux and a felt buff wheel on the Dremel. As yet I don't have any briar polish, only have stem polish / wax.
I'm going to buy a couple more kits in the next few weeks now that I have learnt a couple of basic techniques, I guess the best way to learn is by doing....

Jan 8, 2013
very cool, Toby! :) It seems a lot of us on the forums have gotten the "make your own pipe" bug. I'm having a blast with mine. It's been a lot of fun. But as I've only been using hand tools and no power what so ever (and it was a huge chunk of briar) it's taking me a lot longer than 3 hours lol. I love it though, it's great therapy after a hard day at work.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I love seeing all these pic's of people's efforts that were inspired by the MYOP post.
...and the best part "it smokes like a dream".
So toby67, did that pipe wet your appetite for making another one?
I know I've already started on my next one. I'm muuuuuch slower though. I've probably put about 8 hours into the one I'm working on now and I'm still just working on the basic shape.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
So toby67, did that pipe wet your appetite for making another one
Very much so, I'm moving at the end of next week so after then I will be buying a few more kits from the same eBay seller (his kits are $20-35 USD with free postage) I want to keep doing this because as Anthony mentioned, it's great therapy when you need to de-stress and you get satisfaction at the end of it all. I'm going to start engraving the base of them with "Toby #1, #2 etc.). I have definitely gotten the bug.
Nothing like smoking a pipe that smokes well that is your own production.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
The briar block had a big crack beneath the surface, that's why I only spent 3 hours. Since having a few bowls from it I have decided to spend a bit more time with both the Dremel and the mini files and firstly make it a sitter and secondly to fix a couple of imperfections in the design. I'll post another picture when I'm done, I'll do it sometime this week.

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
Nice job Toby. The fact that you did that in 3 hours makes me wonder what you could do if you spent twice that time,impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.