PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Went for a little antiquing today before meeting my wife for lunch. Went into a shop I have seen several pipes at previously. She had a Nice looking sandblasted lovat in the rack today. This pipe is a Ranga made in London England. Best I could find it's a GBD Second. Fnord had a thread on here at one time with one he had picked up. The pipe looks quite nice to me, briar is light as a feather, had been lightly smoked, an little chatter. It took hardly any time at all to ream what little cake existed, soaked the stem in bleach, and worked through all of the oxidation. Just need a few hours with micromesh now to finish it out. Also worked on the stummel with alcohol and steel wool to take a lot of stain off. Letft quite a bit of dark stain in

The deeper areas. Going to use a medium Brown on what I removed and see how it turns out.
I looked it over a lot. The drilling is perfect, stem fits nicely, and briar appears to be high end. The second pic shows the only thing I can assume caused this to become a "second". A swirl in the grain that caused it to blast just a little deeper there. All in all I though I would risk my $14 to try to restore it and see how she smokes.

B
E60A738C-86FF-49BF-A152-4FBE7A7F121F-1334-0000015813DCF421_zps18b40e0f.jpg

5E54650A-2EB5-4567-9658-5B000422441D-1334-000001581D6FB074_zpsb1c5fb4d.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Great buy! The only thing you find in Washington is some old, burnt out "no name" that they want $40 for. Enjoy it in good health!

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Couldn't help myself this afternoon, and I had to begin the project. Cracked open a bottle of malbec and set forth. Finished up the stem, and it turned out quite nice. It had a lot of oxidation to start with.
845F34A3-2C7F-4672-9D3F-5ADF4324F2DE-1723-000001800CB66AE6_zps57974140.jpg

Decided to take to stummel back to this point and let it dry a couple days. Going to start with a layer of medium brown and see what my opinion of the contrast is before I take all of the stain off.
6ABE81EC-9FB5-4D13-9AC5-A35BEA7F7C87-1723-00000180199A5AE8_zps0fd46fdb.jpg

May 31, 2012
Looking good!

:puffy:
I really love those older blasted 2nds because they sometimes have very unusual or craggy blasts,

those don't come along too often though, most have mediocre blasts, but yours is exceptional I think.
An excellent find!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Brandon:
Truthfully, I don't really know if a Ranga is worth a fourteen dollar bill - GBD made a gazillion seconds and my Comoy's and Sasieni segundos certainly get a lot more of my time. (Estate pipes here in the Midwest are still common and sensibly priced at the places I shop.)
But, I love all things GBD and my Ranga just crawled out of the basement rack and worked it's way into the glove box of my car. If your Ranga gets elevated to raking the leaves or let's go fishing status then it will have served it's purpose.
On the other hand, I can't wait to see what you do refurb'ing your new burner. Please keep the pix coming.
BTW, I always think of you every time I pull my Luciano off the rack and fire up a bowl of NC. The bowl is perfect for a short, good night smoke and it's still one of the best trades I've ever made.
Cheers,
Fnord

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Very nice blast on that thing. And who knew the stem was black! In the first pic I could of sworn it was brown! :rofl: very nice job on it.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Thanks for an honest opinion Jim. My main goal for this pipe is going to be fishing and hunting. I have a cobwarden for those long sits in a deer stand, but was needing another hunting pipe. I often carry that Comoy's author I got from you for fishing. Just needed another briar so I can smoke a couple bowls. Not a fan of carrying my nice pipes out to the river or field. Glad to know you are still enjoying the Luciano, as you can tell from what I just said the ones I received from you are still seeing service.
I added a heavy coat of stain tonight and am liking the results so far. Going to hae to research wax for a bit. No buffer, or experience with a blast. So going to take the time here. The medium brown stain I mixed up did just about as I hoped it would.

B
F9F8145C-B355-40DF-A322-E06AFD9E9879-2542-0000026B6D55EC28_zpsc36f85a6.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
B:
Love the medium brown stain, bub. Looks great but I will suggest a pot of Halcyon II wax if you don't have a buffing wheel.
You can get it here: http://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax
The manufacturer recommends Halcyon II over his Paragon for rusticated burners. Just bear in mind that little dab of this stuff goes a long, long way. (I'm no shill for Fine Pipes, either. The guy just makes an excellent piece of kit.)
Keep at it.
Fnord

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
That's what I was planning to ise Jim. Just hated to add the shipping cost and end up with that much invested in this pipe. An artisan that I emailed auggested a light coat of Kinnser spray shellac. I'm going to see if I can find this locally to cut cost down. After all, it's only a fishing/hunting pipe. If I cannot get it locally I'll likely order a small jar from fine pipes.

B

Status
Not open for further replies.