PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
I have had difficult start with my first meerschaum pipe. I like the pipe, yes, but almost every single one of the smoking experiences have turned brutally humid before I've gotten to the half-way. I have tried everything - I dried the tobacco till it was dry as sand in Sahara, I slowed my draws and left longer times between them, I packed lighter - nothing helped.
Though I packed light, I needed to use tamper, because the pipe went out all the time, and I had to relight once in a minute. So, eventually light packing came too tihgt. As I used the poker of my pipe tool, I could feel the hard surface under some light packing, and under that surface, there always was a LOT of moisture!
So, tonight, as soon as I felt the first sign of gurgling, I get my poker out and did some violence to the pack, after which it wasn't hard anymore. And after that, my pipe smoked cool and dry and delicious.
So my question is, does anybody else do this. Is there any obvious faults in this method?

I read somewhere that 'you may gently disturb the ashes' but what I did was a bit more, and I did it purposefully before the moisture could get too bad, since I knew it would.

Jan 8, 2013
I rarely need it anymore, but that's partly what the poker is there for. Sometimes you gotta loosen things up if you've packed too tight or tamped too tight. Sometimes you need to poke a few holes (carefully) into the tobacco, to allow some air in. I know you've addressed it, but you may need to dry the tobacco out even more. Or perhaps try another blend and see if that helps. If you salivate a lot while smoking, that could also be the issue.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Be careful not to poke the bottom of the pipe. Meers can get a bit soft after smoking. Mary using a few pipe cleaners through the stem while smoking.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
+1 to Anthony
I think you might want to give a different blend a go, since that one does not appear to be working for you all that well, at least not in that particular pipe.
If poking holes helps, then go for it. I've done it a lot myself when I have to tamp a pipe out around the halfway point and ended up tamping it too tightly.
You could also try passing a cleaner through to the bottom of the bowl if need be, because I have tamped before and ended up clogging the draft hole. A quick punch in there with a cleaner will usually do the trick.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would not use a "poker" on a meer.
Change tobacco; dry it even more. Pipes seldom gurgle when the tobacco is sufficiently dried.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
Thanks everyone!
More drying is not a possibility, since it would go to dust if I tried. And yesterday it was actually rather moist stuff, and still worked fine after I loosened it. I can't use pipe cleaner, since the pipe is bent and doesn't allow a cleaner to go through when the stem is attached.
Of course I was careful when using the poker - I don't want to scrape the meer. I guess I need to try next time just making a couple of airholes through tobacco, at least until I'll find out why the hard chunch of tobacco appears every time. I packed purposefully very light, tamped carefully... and still it did.
To mention, I don't have same problem with my peterson briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.