Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
This quote sums it up succinctly - "This isn't about tobacco, it’s about control..."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/us/disgusted-by-smoking-outraged-by-a-plan-to-ban-tobacco.html

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
They should have lynched them.
to me, the most revealing part is this:
"Brian Vincent, who owns Vincent’s Country Store, said he was disappointed he did not have a chance to tell the board that none of the merchants in town sell the kind of cheap, sweet tobacco products that the board is worried about. And none have been found in the last two years with underage sales violations."
The dumb moth********ers in the health board haven't even bothered to do their homework? They need to be TOLD what tobacco products are currently for sale in their town??
And what about the two retarded doctors? Passive smoking? I thought that was the whole reason we can't smoke ANYWHERE except outside and our own homes. Meanwhile the air in big cities in unbreathable and laden with partially combusted hydrocarbons and allergies and asthma are on the rise. But that's because of us smokers, for certain...

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My guess is that these virulent anti-smokers on this local Board of Health are the same ones who support so called "zero tolerance" policies in other areas of public discourse. In their lexicon "zero-tolerance" means "zero responsibility" and, more importantly to them, "zero THINKING."

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
how did we survive for countless generations of smoking without these numb-skulls?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
In defense of the Board of Health members, their current job is just a stepping stone to bigger and better things with the FDA, EPA or some other oppressive arm of our representative government. As long as they toe the line with what they are being told to do, they will be rewarded.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
1 or 2 of them are probably closet smokers
Yeh! Pot Smokers!

I seen this in the paper and thought it was amazing that many non smokers were the most upset.

LET FREEDOM RING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
These types of boards always jump to a conclusion and never do any homework or get any actual facts before trying to impose legislation. Its not like this community is way above average when it comes to the volume of people who smoke nor has it been proven that the "children" of this community are getting there hands on these tobacco products. Even if they were they would just get the tobacco from the neighboring county if they really want to smoke cigarettes or flavored cigarillos etc. Being that there are no large chain stores in this area the only people really suffering from this legislation would be the local stores. Besides that we live in the United States of America... land of the free and home of the brave. We should be allowed to drink 32oz soda's, eat as many Big Mac's as we want, drink as much Starbucks and/or smoke as much tobacco as we choose. Its are right and free choice to make those decisions. Its not for some stupid board to decide for us.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
It mystifies me how in today's world we are legalizing pot smoking but crucifying tobacco smokers. Up here in Kanuckastan a retailer must keep all tobacco produces hidden from sight, my local B+M you must be 18 to enter the store and they have while paper over the glass to shield it from young eyes. There is no smoking in restaurants, lounges, or bars. The latter two have seen a significant decline in business. You cannot smoke in businesses of any kind and may not smoke in a vehicle bearing a company name as that is the same as smoking in a business. Tobacco sales in pharmacies is illegal. No smoking within 30' of a public entrance to a building. But pot..... well hell, pot is ok. There was talk about the ban for tobacco products all together but they realized that without the tax money tobacco bring in the whole economy would collapse. Worst was a few years ago they passed a law that tobacco companies could not advertize or sponsor sports. Many kids sports programs folded after losing a major part of their funding. The world has become less of a democracy and more of a dictatorship everyday.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
It mystifies me how in today's world we are legalizing pot smoking but crucifying tobacco smokers
Part of it is the difference in the pendulum swing - the anti-smokers haven't focused on pot largely because it's been illegal for so long, so all of their efforts have been focused on tobacco. Plus, you don't actually have to smoke pot to consume it. Here in CO, public consumption of pot is still illegal - it's just possession that was decriminalized. The regs on smoking it are actually stricter than the tobacco bans - you can still smoke at a B&M tobacconist or cigar bar, but not in a pot dispensary.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
you can still smoke at a B&M tobacconist

Sadly up here being able to do that was made illegal over a decade ago. A B+M here is no different smoking wise then a 7-11 or a shoe store other then an age restriction to enter.

chaplainmike

Lurker
Oct 7, 2013
The ban died by a 2 to 1 vote. The firestorm had its effect. Hooray, for freedom, but keep vigilant; it will happen again.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Keep an eye on Chairperson Andrea Crete. I'm doubting that she did this on her own volition. There's a future for her on the Federal level.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
[The outrage is aimed at a proposal by the local Board of Health that could make Westminster the first town in the country where no one could buy cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars and chewing tobacco.] they don't say pipe tobacco so we are all good :rofl: hahaha

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I was thinking of the board chair, Andrea Cretin. And someone should invite those two moronic doctors to read the entire report on second hand smoke. It's amazing what one can do by selecting quotes out of context, and not reading the full report.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
"...people who are subjected to secondhand smoke have rights, too." I couldn't agree more with this statement. That being said, those people don't need to come to my house, or get in my car. They don't need to sit on the bench next to me in the park, or walk beside me down the sidewalk. I agree that those people have rights. Thats why smoking was banned in restaurants, bars, and other inclosed public places, much like it is where I live. It is very simple, if you don't like smoking, regardless it's cigarette, cigar, pipe or other; stay away from those who smoke. There is no such thing as "I can't get away from it". Cross the damn street or pass me on the sidewalk. Or better yet, ask me (politely) if I would put my pipe or cigar out while you're behind me. I'd be glad to, because people who are subjected to secondhand smoke have rights too. Just like me!

Status
Not open for further replies.