Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you, who have become old friends over tobacco discussions, you'll remember my joining in on aromatic bashing, My love of Virginias and VaPers, and then eventually trying to work in a light aromatic for smoking first thing in the mornings while cooking breakfast for my girls. They had been complaining about going to school smelling like they'd been up all night at a poker game from my morning VaBurs while fixing them off to school. So, I have found a few aromatics that I love because they give me a great tobacco taste while filling the room and my girl's clothes with more pleasant aromas. I've always said that God blesses the aromatic smoker, because they smoke more for everyone else than themselves. Being that you usually can't taste aromatics as much as everyone else smells it.
MacB's Vanilla Cream Flake, Erinmore, and some Original Orange, and tried a few Planta flakes, all lived up to their expectations. So, I tried SG's Firedance. I didn't taste any fuity-ness in the first tin, which was an aged tin, so I figured that maybe it had dissipated. I fresher tried another tin from an online order. It too just didn't have any flavor, maybe just a suggestion of flavor. The girls all bawked that it just made them stink again.
So, I was setting at the Briary, enjoying a VaPer in a chimney, all becoming a part of the furniture, melding into the leather, and all that. In walks this beefy bruiser construction worker type with a bandage on his nose, and hand wrapped in gauze. As a once fighting type of guy, I recognized the wounds of barroom battle. And, he started telling his yarn of brawl. Then I started smelling something that reminded me of smurfs, blackberry pies, little magic blue people all dancing in the flowers. He bellied up to the counter and ordered two more onces of Newminsters Blackberry Brandy. All of us on the furniture all just sort looked at each other in bafflement. Here was this hulk with scars of battle ordering the most flowery prissy smelling tobaccos in the jars. Weird, we thought.
So, after everyone had left, I whispered to the storekeep to draw me out a couple of oz's of that girly stuff. He cracked a suggestive smile as he weighed me out my request, the asshole. :oops:
I waited till I got home and in the secret security of my own smoking chair to pack up the goopy stuff into a bowl and fire it up, locking the door in privacy. I kept checking myself for the growth of breasts, and no, my penis didn't shrink, which wouldn't have been terrible, as it sometimes scares... um, ner'mind... it did instantly fill the room with the smell of a beautiful blackberry candle, with a tad taste of the brandy, slightly. But, by midbowl it was cloyingly overloading my senses. what I call a cheap waxy burley taste was all I could taste with a light aftertaste of a diet soda, aspertaine, saccharine, Tab? Blech, I dumped the bowl. I just couldn't take it. Too goopy, too blech.
A few weeks went by. I was smoking through more trial tins of Planta Flakes, which are all pretty good. But, I wanted that Blackberry pipe smell to fill the kitchen as I woke my girls up to fresh coffee, pancakes, hash browns, sausages, and bacon. There was the tin of lackluster Firedance and the remains of the Blackberry Smurf smoke. So, I broke up the flakes of FD and mixed them with the Smurfs. I crammed it all into a small jar and waited a few days to let them meld together.
That morning the kitchen was filled with Blackberry. The flavor of both was perfect. The nic kick was increased by the flakes and the flavor was riding my taste buds, complimenting gulps of coffee with a flavor salivating drool yum yum dizzy J flavor party in my mouth. I savored that whole bowl and immediately packed another head kick of nicotine, juices going, car warming, pow pow pow on each puff. Cool smoking, pipe abusing, sucking that mother down to ash, Baby. Wide awake, and ready to head out to the bar and kick some redneck ass. Yeh!!!
So, I have my morning smoke now. Equal parts flake to Smurf ratio. Full flavor, sweet crowd pleaser, and full stregnth nicotine. Good to the last puff, slap yo mamma good. I know, I know, I ain't about to give up on my Virginias and Vapers. Those are still my first passion. But, even a connoisseur of fine wines can enjoy a daiquiri every once in a while.
SG Firedance Flakes and Newminster's Blackberry Brandy, lackluster both on their own, but mixed, I highly recommend it for someone who likes aromatics (or is aromatic curious). Two thumbs up!! Happy Smokes :puffy:

Thanks Mephisto,

I try to keep up on the street lingo-snizy dizzy. :puffy:
This morning I was smoking a Planta Mango Flake (not nearly as good IMO), but my youngest told me that she was disappointed that I wasn't smoking the Smurf-bacco, because her friends had all said that she smelled great when I dropped them off.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Great write up. Half the fun of aros is the mixing and matching of flavours to make up a good blend. I mix equal parts of 1Q and Stuliff D-40 vanilla with a bit of cubed burley. Good nic, smells like I'm baking vanilla cake, and not to goopy...... I call it "Fat Bastard Blend".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A little aro now and then for a change of pace, or mixed with the full strength stuff to keep you wife feeling cheerful. Forums friend sent my some Newminster Cherry #3 and it does the trick.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
cosmicfolklore, I am going to order them both today and give it a shot. I did not care to much for firedance when I orrdered some. I cellared it for several years and liked it much better. May be my imagination but cellaring has helped every aro I have tried with the exception of two, which were chocolates and really dried out. Everything else gets moist and mellow flavored. The next guy might think they were too mellow . It appears after listening to some other people describe different leaf that I wasn't gifted with connoisseurs palette. :)

I smoked the last of this mix last week, and I have been smoking some mediocre Planta Mango instead for breakfast. I am headed to The Briary now, to go get me two oz of Blackberry Brand and a tin of Firedance to mix it again. Funny how getting used to a blend can make your coffee not taste right after you get used to pairing it with a tobacco.
I hope you like it too. Let me know what you think.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I read this thread the first day it was posted and managed to restrain myself because I had already gotten recently carried away with TAD. I just revisited Michael's eloquent story....I can't help it, it sounds so good, and it's all his fault, heavy sigh.

I'm anxious to hear what you think. I just mixed my new batch, and I'll give it just a couple of days to meld. They have a store mix they make at The Briary called Magic Mango that I picked up a trial sample of. This will be my first sample of Skipp's tobacconistic skills. I'm thinking that if he blends just half as good as he makes pipes, that it will be worth it. I don't know why I keep getting drawn towards the mangos. Maybe it's my inner pipe monkey coming out. Ha ha!
Maybe I can get Skip to make up a larger batch of the Smurf Firedance to keep on the counter. Maybe call it Cosmic Smurf, ha ha!

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Interesting read and a good idea. I was a little underwhelmed by Firedance Flake. It has been a while but I remember Firedance to have an initial aramotic sweetness that quickly faded away.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Interesting to hear multiple people mention the mute-ness of FireDance's flavor. I have it on my list as the occasional Aro can hit the spot. Dan's Devils Holiday was what brought me back to considering dessert tobaccos and if FireDance was anything like it, I was set.
I will still give this a shot as tastes vary but in a great twist of fate, internet reviews brought me back to reality as opposed to elevating a leaf to legendary status in my mind's eye (or tastebud) without actually trying.
Thanks Cosmic for the great read.

Status
Not open for further replies.