PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
As most of you know, I'm an avid collector of Elliott Nachwalter and Briar Workshop pipes. Finn Meyan Andersen was a Danish pipe maker who was part of the Briar Workshop in the early years. He taught Nachwalter much of what he knows about pipe making. In an email to samcoffeeman, who sold me the pipe, Nachwalter wrote:
finn meyan was a great danish pipemaker who was part of the briar workshop for a little over a year. he was an inspiration and great teacher of danish pipe design.

working alongside him was instrumental in the formation of the pipes that i would create and design in the years to come.
the pipes that were hand signed “finn” were probably made when he left us and worked on his own for a time. it is also possible that they might have been made when

he was working for Peterson’s New York (not to be confused with Peterson’s Dublin) making pipes in the window of their park avenue store before he joined us in stowe, vt.
I've been on the lookout for a "Finn" pipe for a while now and finally found one in good condition that I liked. The pipe has near-perfect straight/flame grain all around the bowl. No fills and only a couple of tiny sand pits.
Oh, and the draw is smooth and effortless. VAs sing in this pipe. I'm a happy camper.
dsc_0377-600x400.jpg

dsc_0365-600x400.jpg

dsc_0366-600x400.jpg

dsc_0369-600x400.jpg

dsc_0373-600x400.jpg

dsc_0379-600x400.jpg

Stunning!!! I wish all pipes posted for sale would show it being held in the hand. I would have assumed by looking at a picture of a pipe with those proportions, that it would be a huge hunk of a piece of briar. But, seeing it in the hand, makes it look way more delicate and usable.
Beautiful pipe, enjoy!!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Sam. Will you be selling any more of these or of the Nachwalters?
cosmic -- it's a very sensible size. That's part of what I liked about it. But it's got plenty of chamber, too.
Thanks, bradley. I'm really enjoying this one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I googled Finn Meyan and hit this page, thank heavens! I recently acquired a bent billiard, and on the back of the shank is, in block letters, FINN MEYAN. The bowl is huge, the biggest I have. Nice grain, just got it buffed out and it glows. The chamber is just too big for me to smoke it often.
Any idea of the age? There are no other markings, and I suspect the bit is a replacement. In any event there's a millimeter or two gap between the shank and the bit.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I did as much research as I could when I scored 7 Finn pipes in an estate lot. I even contacted Eliot Nachwalter, who Finn worked with for some time. He could not give me much info except that some of Finn's pipes were sold at a NY shop he either worked at or had an agreement with to sell his pipes. Perhaps in the 1980s?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Can't wait to see the pics of your new Finn.
I'd guess that most of these were made in the 70s rather than the 80s. He only worked with the Briar Workshop for about a year and then left. The BW started sometime in the mid 70s and he was with them from the start. His time in NY was before the BW years, so that would be early to mid 70s at the latest.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Very nice pipe, pitchfork. I'm still waiting on getting my 70's Briar Workshop Nachwalter/Jamelka pipe back from get the tenon repaired. I love that pipe and it smokes fantastic, as i'm sure yours does too. Briar Workshop had some great shapers and made some great pipes for sure. I'd like to see pics as well bubble.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks for the nice comments about the pipe -- it really is a looker. I smoke it way too infrequently, though -- the stem is a little thick for my tastes and I just haven't had the time to file it down. In my opinion, MA could have been one of the great ones if he had kept at it. I can only assume he found a more lucrative or steady career after pipemaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.