PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
"Sputnik News" reports a Finnish government initiative to eradicate smoking by 2030...and doing away with Lakupiippu in the process.
Excerpted:
The Finnish smoking ban is so strict that it even extends to "imitation products" that do not contain tobacco or nicotine. Lakupiippu is a popular Finnish candy, a stick of liquorice shaped to look like a smoking pipe. The National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health (Valvira) has banned the pipes from being used in retailer loyalty programs as they "promote smoking." Valvira's opinion on candy cigarettes is unknown.
See Lakupiippu here.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Truth is, they can eradicate smoking in a day (for all intents and purposes) by simply making all tobacco products illegal. They would have to deal with contraband, for sure, but the threat of fines or even jail goes a long way.
Like most other countries though, they won't do that because they rely too heavily on the tax revenues.
Maybe if they encouraged people to give up cigarettes in favour of pipes the health concerns would be cut immensely as well as keeping their tax revenues. Not to mention that additional business of selling pipes and accessories would give the economy a slight bump.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Last time I checked, alcoholism and suicide were two of the leading causes of death in Finland. Glad the stupid bastards are keeping their priorities straight and going after pipe-shaped candies.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
When I was a kid, as I'm sure with most people age 40 and above, had candy cigarettes as kids. I used to get those all the time, and pretend I was smoking a cigarette when eating them. Eating those as a kid never made me want to smoke cigarettes when I was older, and I never have smoked cigarettes. Just like I always used to get shredded beef jerky in the small containers, just like dip (smokeless tobacco) and I would tuck it into my lip and keep it there for periods of time. It never made me want to start using dip. If someone wants to smoke cigarettes, use dip, smoke a pipe or cigars; they're going to do it because they want to, and not because the used to have a candy that was similar to it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Metalheadycigarguy, you do realize you make WAY TOO MUCH SENSE. That kind of actual experience and thought process means NOTHING to the zealots.
The worst weapon for evil is a true believer.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Last time I checked, alcoholism and suicide were two of the leading causes of death in Finland.

Check again, Heart disease and cancer caused 60% of deaths in 2014, both are increased by smoking.

Alcohol and suicide only accounted for 6%.
But prohibiting pipe candies is stupid.

piperray

Lurker
Dec 27, 2016
Really,those regulators are insane,to ban a pipe made of licorice, soon they shall ban lollies,kids might learn something that is explicit.

-Ray

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Downinit- You are correct; the information I was remembering was from 2006. At that time, According to Statistics Finland, the #1 and #4 cause of death for males and females both, age 15-64, were alcohol and suicide, respectively. If they've gotten both down to a combined total of 6% in eight years, they're Goddamned miracle workers.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Well, when you have the nanny state provide you with school, jobs, money and anything else you can imagine, why bother drinking or committing suicide?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Or maybe here's an idea.....
Take responsibility for yourself and your actions, make something of yourself rather than rely on others to do it for you and leave a country that's prosperous and free.
Just sayin'

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Are your children safe?
laku.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
+1 on what MSO said, get the swat team on the little bastards! Why should kids have all the fun, or any fun at all!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Good for Finland! It is about time I say! Out with that Lakupiippu candy imitating a pipe without a shred of evidence that it ever led a single child to grow up a smoker, just as there is not a single shred of evidence that any of the lawmakers there are remotely imitating people actually collectively representing and protecting the interests of its citizens!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Hell, I remember the faux cigarettes with the red tin foil at the tip to emulate a flame that were loaded with talc to make "smoke' when you blew though it. I'm surprised there aren't any talcosis suits over those.

Status
Not open for further replies.