PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Finished crops for year. It's a great feeling to be done. This was the earliest we've ever been done. We usually finish beans in Novembor and corn in January, but the drought made yields lower and weather cooperated with us. And no breakdowns besides a bearing goin out on the head cart. All in all a success. Celebatrory beers and Penzance for everyone!!!!
Now what will I do for five months besides milking cows and general cow work?

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Good to hear you got the crops wrapped up. You've certainly earned a beer and a pipe. Here in southwestern Ontario a lot of the beans and corn is off but a few fields still remain to be harvested due to some recent wet weather. :puffy:

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
The wet stuff can be a pain. Snow is worse, then ice. We took off 620 acres of beans and 750 acres of corn. Put in 80 acres of wheat for next year and 20 acres of tritecal for spring forage. Also plowed over two hundred acres in preparation for next year, maybe we will plow more next week. It'll be nice not having to pull 15 hour days in dead winter.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Congrats ... That's a lot of work and you deserve a break!
More time now for hearty meals, Maker's Mark and a pipe by the fire. :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I guessing that the usual repairs to be made, live stock illnesses, equipment readied for next season, etc. will eat up a considerable amount of your projected free time.
I thought all of you Canadian farmers rented villas around the Phoenix area during the winter.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
Have you got a hearth to sit by? I know where I would be all winter!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Congratulations. I hope the balance sheets look good this year, despite the drought, and that you get some deserved rest between cow work.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
AF:
Enjoy the down time - which I'm sure will be plenty busy enough taking care of the herd.
Please educate me on one thing, though. What is tritecal? Google was no help whatsoever.
The bean fields are being harvested here in Kansas so our winter is just around the corner.
Fnord

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
He appears to mean triticale--"a hybrid of wheat and rye".
At first I thought he meant trefoil (a legume).

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Thank you to all! Yes more hearty meals and bourbon by the hearth will soon come! I will have my normal 6-6:30 work day, but no late nights! Unless we have some things going on with cows. I manage the cows with my dad and my uncle and cousin deal with the equipment repairs along with our mechanic. But everyone helps with crops. I live in Ohio, Warren, but my uncle does go south every January! MSO this is "pay the bills year". Meaning no big purchases, just pay the bills and stay in the black. I think corn is going for $3.40 a bushel and that is pretty bad. Milk is going for $14 per hundred weight. I heard milk may go up this month and next, but I doubt it will go up much. Fnord, Elbert is correct! My spelling is not that great sometimes. We plant triticale to cut and chop for the cows in the spring. It goes dormant like winter wheat. Bigpond, I'm not much on goats. I like the idea of sheep better, I enjoy a good lamb chop! My grandfather used to have 50 ewes and milked as well. But something's go to the wayside over the years.
I'd really like to tap a few hundred maples, but we need the evaporator to do that. I also may be expanding my bees next year so that will keep me busy at night. Oh and the baby is due on January so I'll be a papa then!

Status
Not open for further replies.