Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Finished My McClelland Grand Oriental Collection

(13 posts)
  1. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Today I place an order with 4Noggins to get the final blends in the McClelland Grand Orientals line to finish my "collection". I have not had a chance to sample them all yet, but the ones I've tried; Yenice Agonya & Yindije Highland, I have been absolutly thrilled. Really looking forward to trying the rest of the blends in this series!

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got a few on my list to order next. I'm really intrigued by Orientals. The tobacco. Not the rugs.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

WTG Neil!

I too ordered a can all the McClelland Grand Orientals during P&C's recent 15% off sale (except those containing latakia) and really enjoyed the few cans I've tried so far.

That said, as a lover of Oriental tobaccos, of those I've smoked so far, I have to say I'd add a bit more oriental leaf in those blends. However, the orientals, while subtle, enhance the blend and make for a totally satisfying smoke.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to agree with you Roth? Have you found and good oriental foward blends that you would recommend that might highlight more of the oriental leaf?

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have enjoyed the Grand Orientals myself, although not all. I've had Classic Samsun and Yenidge Highlander. I recently fell in love with McClelland's Tudor Castle. It is a quite potent(both flavor and Nic) Va/Per/Or, the OR being yenidge. I find the Yenidge really shines in this one, giving it a real woody flavor, akin to cedar perhaps. Very different and delicious.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I've heard good things about the McClelland Collector Series: PCCA Tudor Castle, both from members here and the fact that, with 26 reviews on TR, it's got 4 stars -- highly recommended.

I tossed in a can of the Tudor Castle in my last tobacco order and I'm looking forward to trying this one out for myself.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm quite fond of the grand oriental series although I haven't tried them all yet. So far my favorite is Yenidje Highlander.

I will definitely have to add Tudor Castle to my TAD spreadsheet.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have some Tudor Castle in the cellar, might have to try and push it closer to the top so I can give it a try!

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. johnparker

johnparker

Login to Send PM

I too ordered a can all the McClelland Grand Orientals during P&C's recent 15% off sale (except those containing latakia) and really enjoyed the few cans I've tried so far.

That said, as a lover of Oriental tobaccos, of those I've smoked so far, I have to say I'd add a bit more oriental leaf in those blends. However, the orientals, while subtle, enhance the blend and make for a totally satisfying smoke.

Which specific ones are you referring to, Roth? Since I caught cold I have yet to put in an order, so I am still debating (and debating and debating) which one/ones to try!

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well as I said I bought them all, except for the (two?) with latakia.

So far I've smoked through a few -- two that I remember are the Venidje Supreme and the Katerini Classic.

Another really good oriental blend I recommend is the Low Country Waccamaw, a SmokingPipes.com/Low Country B&M exclusive -- a flake with bright and red virginias, Louisian Perique and Turkish Izmir -- good stuff.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have a tin of Classic Samsun arriving tomorrow from 4noggins. I've tried the Drama Reserve and just loved it. On the next order I'll try the Yenidge Supreme.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have you found and good oriental foward blends that you would recommend that might highlight more of the oriental leaf?

One word: Tashkent

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

For anyone not aware, Tashkent is hand blended by the fine folks at L.J. Peretti and they do ship to Canada.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ashdigger, ben88, sholto, josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, chasingembers, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy