PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Hi All, I've read a few different threads about this and haven't quite been able to find a definitive answer. I got a new smooth pipe the other day with orange and brown contrast staining. I applied my first coat of Paragon Wax last night and when I went to buff it off, some of the orange finish came off onto my flannel cloth.
After repeating the process a few more times, the stain that comes off seems to be lessening, but I can't help but think that there was something done incorrectly as far as staining to begin with.
The question is: even for the best woodworkers and most pipemakers experienced among us, does this occasionally happen? Maybe not all of the stain was buffed off before applying wax? Or should a stain be completely set, no questions asked?
I've heard that some pipes have had so much extra stain that it actually comes off on smokers' hands while they're puffing away--this is obviously not my issue, but I can't help but wonder if any stain should come off to begin with.
Thanks for any responses!

Dave
Title Corrected Rule #9 Thanks, Zack

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm no expert, but stain should not come off. Although, the reality is that it often does. :puffy:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
There's a reason pipemakers use a thinned coat of shellac on top of the final color and before waxing...:)

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
That makes sense zack24, thanks. The seller offered to fix or replace it, but I wonder if this is even necessary since the issue seems to be disappearing with more runs of the Paragon wax. I guess unless the maker changes his finishing process, the same thing is likely to happen on all of his pipes.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Paragon contains solvents that keep the wax soft until it's applied, this is probably what's stripping off some of your top stain. I think you're probably just accelerating the normal process with contrast stains where some of the top stain bleeds out with skin contact and heat from smoking over time, while the pipe simultaneously darkens from smoking. I've seen this with every orange or red contrast pipe I've bought new. If you keep waxing it with Paragon it will probably stop coming off after a few more times, though the overall effect might look a bit pale until it starts to darken up.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
I got in touch with the maker of Paragon Wax who said that this should never happen and has never experienced this issue. He offered to strip and refinish the pipe himself. If his stain doesn't bleed, I guess that finally puts this question to rest.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have had this eperience happened with my Stanwell Royal Guard pipe and with another Peterson, and finally with most of the remaining pipes manufacturer shellac got disappeared steady and evenly by and by,I dont bother no more though,

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been lucky with no leaching off of stain. It would put me off that brand of pipe, but my Petes and Stanwells haven't had the problem. I guess it's luck of the draw; sometimes the factory folks get in a hurry, Friday afternoon or early in the day when they haven't had enough coffee.

Jan 8, 2013
I got in touch with the maker of Paragon Wax who said that this should never happen and has never experienced this issue
I actually experienced this myself. I'm not knocking Paragon in any way though. It's a good product. And as Sable mentioned above, I noticed no loss of color with with mine, and the stain bleeding eventually stopped. Could be the Paragon, could be the stain wasn't finished setting. But either way, it wasn't a problem and I'll continue to use it if I'm feeling too lazy to use the buffing wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.