PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjarrett88

Lurker
May 20, 2019
I’ve noticed when cleaning my new Peterson it seems like some of the stain is showing up on my cleaning rag. I don’t use alcohol to wipe the outside of the bowl at all. I noticed it when cleaning the tar off the rim of the bowl with water. I also used olive oil to wipe down the entire pipe, and it appeared to Show up on the rag from all over the pipe. So it doesn’t appear to be tobacco tar or anything. Not sure how to post a picture on here because I use an iPhone to post and can’t copy a URL. I don’t feel like the stain should be coming off of here. It’s not noticeable on the pipe itself however..... not getting lighter or anything.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You're right, the stain shouldn't come off on the cloth when you're buffing your pipe. I've been crazy lucky with my Petes, quite a few of them, but there has been a long history of quality control issues on a small but persistent number of Peterson pipes. If you bought it new, you could discuss it with the retailer, and they might refer you to Peterson, which is under new ownership and might be helpful. My last Peterson, not long ago, was unfinished, so I had no problems with this or anything else. I can attest, they make mostly serviceable, and to me pretty wonderful, pipes for the most part. The beefy sturdy designs win the heart. With time, the stain will rub down and perhaps stabilize, but no, this just shouldn't happen. Some have gotten disgusted, understandably, and won't buy Petes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd do this: wash the pipe in hot water, towel dry. Apply a very tiny bit of mineral oil to the stem and rim, and a touch to the bowl. Rub/buff. That should remove any stain that's poorly applied as well as protect the stem and stummel.
As Warren mentions, olive oil goes rancid over time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jjar', don't take this as typical. Most name brand factory pipes, including Petes, are well crafted and won't cause you a moments problem over years. If I were you, I likely wouldn't buy another Pete until you hear good reports about the product under the new owner. But many other brands are available and will be unlikely to give you a bad experience. Savinelli is a reliable pipe, as are Stanwell, Big Ben, Nording, Chacom, BC, Genod, and many others. Once the stain on your Peterson dries out and stabilizes, I think it will give you years of good service, but it's not a happy way to start.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
By my experience Brebbia provides the best quality. They make absolutely perfect pipes. Savinelli, Vauen and Winsløw are close seconds. I also like my BBB, but it is a vintage pipe. White Star is surprisingly good as well. I had issues with Petersons, Missouri Meerschaum and Nørding.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
If you're not noticing the stain becoming thinner/lighter on the pipe, odds are you're not likely to lose more stain to any significant degree. Have only recently heard tales of this occurring but it has occurred with more brands than just Peterson and has not entailed significant loss of stain.

Jan 8, 2013
I've encountered this before, and I've seen it mentioned before by others. And it's not a "Peterson" problem. Usually it's excess stain and you won't notice any significant loss of color. I've had this occur with a Peterson, A Ser Jacopo, and the only pipe I own that actually noticeably lost color, was a Savinelli.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I wouldn’t let it worry you much. Just keep the alcohol away from the exterior. You may be getting some stain from inside the mortise. And worst case in the world is a quick refinish which is super easy. I’m a reformed Pete hater. Recently added one since Laudisi came into the picture, it’s great with no issues. Smoke it and don’t worry about it!

jjarrett88

Lurker
May 20, 2019
I spoke with tobaccopipes.com (who are awesome by the way) and they said that this is a common thing they are hearing these days. They said if the finish starts to wear out to wear it’s noticeable or if I feel like it’s a bad pipe they will replace it or refund it.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
This thread has been a good reminder and cautionary tale not to single out Peterson pipes when quality questions arise. :wink:

Aug 14, 2012
Pipes usually smoke better when the stain comes off. I used to remove it with an alcoholic beverage before smoking,but when I got better pipes it wasn't necessary. Also, do not wax or seal it.

fusion

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2019
I just ordered my first new pipe from tobaccopipes.com good to see they offered to refund/replace

Went back and forth with myself on a Peterson or Savinelli, went with the Savinelli 320, cant wait for it to get here, Good luck with your Peterson, hope all is well with it

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've found that "unfinished" and "virgin" pipes smoke especially well. See foggymountain's post above.

spanishkarl

Lurker
Aug 24, 2015
Most of my pipes are fine, but I experienced something similar with my green Savinelli Arcobaleno. I don't remember how it happened, but I think I was using spit to clean the rim. You can kind of see the wood through the finish now

Status
Not open for further replies.