Finger's On The Button...Beautiful Fresh Castello...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I have been in love with the bent apple shape for some time now, and scrolling through SP's Fresh Additions was this beauty...I can't afford it...Well I can, but I shouldn't, and I've always known that just because you can doesn't mean you should...but just.....look at it....the PAD monster is strong today.
002-386-3082.4873.jpg

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Normally I'm a smooth finish guy but that has a beautiful two-tone quality, both in color and texture.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Well, as is often said "You only live once!"
I've held off on a couple I really wanted and kept them on my SP Wishlist only to go back a day or two later and they were gone. I say if you really want it, just grab it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Who the hell cares about retirement? Having money when you are too old to work is so overrated.

(just trying to be the anti-enabler here)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@Carolinachurchwarden,
That is a great Castello. I love the Pi rustication for sure and I'm a sucker for full bent Castello pipes. They always (always) pass a pipe cleaner with ease.
Here is an example of the Pi rustication on one of my Castello short Canadian's (Trademark). Love the texture in the hand when smoking.

kpaFPNu.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@ssjones. I agree. I didn’t want to bash a pipe online. But that gap is glaring. I’ve seen a few flaws like this in the past few years. Hopefully it’s just a minor issue.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Not sure how public knowledge this is, but SP will do a lay away program for pipes. Put some down now, pay it off after some time (can't remember how long). Pretty sure you have to call them to make it happen, but if you have the money, but don't want to spend it all at once, atleast you can lock down the pipe.

Oct 7, 2016
Not sure how public knowledge this is, but SP will do a lay away program for pipes. Put some down now, pay it off after some time (can't remember how long). Pretty sure you have to call them to make it happen, but if you have the money, but don't want to spend it all at once, atleast you can lock down the pipe.
Al, please delete that post. I will try to pretend that I never read it. It would help if there was no trace of it when I look at this thread in the morning.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Hey Al, I did notice that something was off there and I did send them an email asking about it. For me and purchasing history, this would be considered a luxury spend and I would really hate to pick something up for kind of money if in fact it is a real issue and not just light or not being inserted all the way. It does look as though the back of the stem hits before the front, creating a slight gap. We shall see what they say... Hell, maybe I could get a discount? :rofl:

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Here's a view of the otherside. Is there a gap? I don't see it from this angle.
002-386-3082_17759-edited.jpg

It is a nice looking pipe!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
If we are supposed to try and dissuade you here is my attempt; I believe that shape is known at the workshop as “palle sul mento” or balls on chin.

If you are looking for encouragement I’d say, man, it sure can be tough to find a castello chin hugger.
Call it a compulsive, like a nervous tick or something but when these threads come I cross check prices at Italian vendors. Here’s the long and short of it; you can score a very similar pipe right now at bollito pipe for about 80 bux less. They have two bent eggs, one unstained the other black both b,asked and neither with Pi.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, I'm going to let it go. Just heard back from the people at SP's, they went and pulled it from inventory to check, but it does definitely have a gap between the stem and shank. However minor it may be, that pretty much sells me against the purchase. For that kind of money out of my pocket, that's a deal breaker for me. Not that I haven't had a $40 pipe that had something similar, but it was a $40 pipe, not a $340 pipe. That's a little sad, but better find out now, before I buy it. Knowing it's there would just eat at me.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
CCW, one thing on which you can count is this: SP will have another Castello that will be perfect for you. Just wait and save, they serve up fresh Castellos regularly :puffy:

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
If Castellos are your bag, check out Pulver’s Briars. He’s got all sorts of drool worthy pipes, including new and estate Castellos.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm not really all that particular to the brand of a pipe itself, just certain shapes and finishes hit that spot sometimes. Just like the Ardor Urano Bent Bulldog I saw a few months ago. I don't really have a loyalty to any one maker, I just see things I like. I'll just start padding up a little savings on the side of about $500 or so and let it sit there collecting dust while I keep scrolling on through in the future. Then, when I see the one, I'll just pounce on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.