PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plains

Lurker
Sep 4, 2011
After dinner last night I stopped by a local antique mall. I asked a clerk if they might have any pipes. She directed me to the following items. The pipe smokers radio was something I was totally surprised me. It spoke of a time when pipe smoking was much more popular and recognized.

The tiny meerschaum as you can see was broken and the stem easily came off. Much to fragile for anything but a collectors item.

(By the way this is my first attempt at posting photos - hopefully this will work)
http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s403/mbeckius/IPhone029.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s403/mbeckius/IPhone030.jpg
IPhone031.jpg

grafikchaos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2012
Chapin, SC
That radio/pipe rack is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Back when radio was pretty much the only mass medium, that would've been the perfect thing to have. Thanks for sharing these!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wow! Thanks for taking the time and effort to post that! :clap:

My goodness, how the culture has changed!
Has anyone said it yet? Welcome Matt. :rofl:

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I agree with grafilchaos that has to be one of the coolest things ever.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
There was a time when the only information available was radio magazines newspapers, books. The amazing ability to go to a small device on your desk and exchange ideas in a matter of seconds worldwide is quite astounding, now. My grandfather, without fail would listen everyevening to his floor model radio. Too bad he didn't have a nice pipe to enjoy also. I still listen to Baseball games on XM radio. This radio in photo is way cool. Thanx for post, Plains :puffpipe:

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I need to hit a flea market RIGHT NOW.
That is Sooooooooo unbelievably cool!!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Like others said, WOW! That radio set up is really cool...you made quite a find there...those were the days. Thanks for posting, and welcome!

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
That radio is way too cool! I used to collect antique radios, and have seen a lot of them but, that is the first Smokerette I've ever seen. Excellent find!

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
That radio is just coo :)l
Can you imagine the turmoil it would create if someone were to offer something like that today?????

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
That's a pretty cool radio. Is the top an ashtray? lol I hope it comes off so you can dump it. If not that's a pain in the butt. And it makes me thing of a bunch of people sitting around the radio with their cigs, cigars, and pipes, in the house and using the ashtray lol.
Oh how times have changed... I still listen to the radio and smoke a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.