PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I smoke aro's most of the time. Last year during the summer I tried some english tobacco. It was ok but not something I would smoke everyday. I have been reading some good reviews about Orlik here so I tried some and fell in love with it. I also like Dunhill Flake. Now, I've been ordering more Virginia tobaccos to try and a few Vapers. And, stocking up the cellar with them. Seems I'm more of a aromatic, Virginia and Vaper smoker. It feels nice when you finally find your taste in tobacco. I may not post often but, I still read the threads everyday.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Glad you are finding your way to what You like, I lean towards Burley and Burley/Va/per blends, but I have several Virginias and English blends in my cellar. When I made the picture for my avatar you see here, I was smoking Esoterica Dunbar, which is a Va/per

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
Maybe it's because I'm the type of guy that has to try everything once, but I loved searching for my tastes. I just went nuts buying different kinds of tobacco and always had something new to try. Awesome.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Thanks yohanan. It will be nice to walk into a B&M or look online and be able to know what to look for. I haven't tried Esoterica Dunbar. Think I will add it to the list. Thanks again.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I like the journey of finding all the tobaccos I like. My tastes have changed but will be changing all along the way I think so sit back and enjoy the ride.

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I believe I'm still trying to find my taste too. At least "finding". I like some aros..but am finding that I reach more for the enlish and virginia blends. I need to buy a little of each and sit down on a quiet evening. I've heard great things about balkans. I've been smoking latakia and virginias and they kind of been tasting the smae to me

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I like a good smoke.. recently I have been exploring GH blends and I'm finding some real keepers.. BOSUN CUT PLUG, BOB'S CHOCOLATE FLAKE, DARK BIRD'S EYE, LOUISIANA PERIQUE FLAKE & TOP BLACK CHERRY. Next up will be a tour through their ropes/twist.

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
Funny you mentioned black shag cuz thats the bowl I was smoking when I posted!! Maybe I need to try an all latakia blend and an all virginia blend. Currently I'm on some Frog Morton on the Bayou. I do taste the subtle differences..the froggy definitely has a deeper flavor. The tin notes though are VERY similiar for sure. Just did a sniff comparison :D

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
McClelland blends have some similarities but there should be no mistaking a Virginia blend for a latakia blend, whether by taste or by smell...
mp31guitar, I am glad that you have found your "calling" when it comes to pipe tobacco.
I started out with aromatics (because that's all that was available) and I dabbled in English blends for awhile but it was the Virginia tobaccos that stole my heart. Burley is nice for a change of pace but VA is my favourite.
It does give some relief when you can decide with some authority what you would like to smoke.
The best part of being a Virginia smoker is that there is no real expiration date. Cellar up and smoke away...

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I guess I just aint "learned" enough in the art of tobacco haha These two tobacco's were similiar but I could distinguish. I'm gonna go to my local shop and poke around, seeing what theyd recommend too. I don't think i've had any straight virginia type tobacco so I'll give it a shoot!

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
I did like the Black Shag. It was lighter than the Froggy, IMO making it just a good all around anytime smoker, unlike the froggy which i feel is a relaxing evening, deep smoke. Don't mean to start up any arguments!

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Its an interesting Journey trying to find your blends. Especially when you want to start cellaring tobacco. Its hard to decided if you want commit to blend because your tastes change.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Taste changes, too. Lately I find myself drawn again to English and Orientals after about a year of mainly Va and VaPer blends. Heck, today I picked up a pouch of MB Vanilla Cream and thoroughly enjoyed the smoke!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I guess I've found my self smoking English/latakia blends almost exclusively, with 8 of 10 briars dedicated to them. I do enjoy the occassional aro, but I always end up thinking "this isn't Nightcap..." somewhere during the bowl. I do need to try va/pers though, just haven't gotten around to it since I've been having too much fun trying new Englishes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto rothnh. In fact, I've given-up all Latakia and fire cured tobacco so I can enjoy Va's more.

To me, those tobaccos wear out the taste buds -- or so it seems.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I was given tow pipes by a member here, and he included some 2 year aged Boswells Countryside in it. I had only smoked aros and OTC blends at this point. I had my first bowl and fell in love with Latakia. I nnow smoke almost only English blends.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'm still kind of amazed to this day that the tobacco retailers don't have a sampler in which they sort of give the new piper a very basic idea of each of the main styles at a price that won't shy away those that are new to the pipe.
Even if every Virginia or latakia blend has bitten you very hard, I'm 100% positive that you can find something to love in every leaf. Different blenders can transform these leaves into amazing creations.
Love them all.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
One of the great things about our pastime is the endless variety of tobaccos to try -- I've been a pipe smoker for 50 years on and off, and I wouldn't want to say that I've "found my taste" -- it's just too much fun trying out new blends, revisiting old favorites and discovering how our tastes change with time.

pipesaplenty

Lurker
Mar 5, 2013
Hung out at my local shop for a lil bit tonight..got an estate pipe and about 4 tobaccos i believe. Some dunhill morning blend, a balkan blend that I REALLY enjoyed, the Frog Morton Cellar (enjoying right now), and some new stuff that hasn't hit the market yet. Enjoyed all!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think it is important to find what you like to smoke now so that you have time to stock up. Back when I started I was an English smoker but my tastes changed to VA and Vaper Flakes. I have now been stocking up on those because of the price increases that are coming our way. Back then there was no sense of urgency to figure out any of this and I took my time sampling tons of different blends. I can comfortably stock up now because of that experience and I know I will enjoy the stuff in my cellar 20 years from now. I think today's smokers area at a disadvantage because of the pending legislation and there is more pressure on them. I still try new blends today, but they are in the category of my favorites and I can figure out fairly quickly if I am going to cellar them.

Status
Not open for further replies.