PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Hello briar folk.
I recently got off ebay a very nice Savinelli Roma 802 and the pipe itself seems to be in very good condition. However, the stem that was included is Savinelli but (1) it's a bit worn out and (2) it doesn't belong to a Roma. It could be a rookie mistake on my part and just due to the pipe being an older model, but when I check the Savinelli website the logo of Roma pipes is an R and the stem has a golden band. Does anyone know where, and how difficult, it would be to get a replacement stem that corresponds to the correct pipe model?
Thanks in advance.

ScreenShot2014-09-23at104520AM_zps47f1211b.png

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Very nice Savinelli, congrats!
Well, apart from a few exceptions, pipe manufacturers don't usually sell replacement stems at all. Too many variables in them to fit well, I suppose. I think you can have one fitted in Savinelli's factory in Italy but it will cost you and take some time.
Even if that's not the original stem, it looks pretty good IMO. I have a couple of Sav canadians and the stems look exactly like the one in the photo. Fifteen minutes of buffing and polishing will fix that right up.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Jarit, thanks for the advice. After this post I read of someone who did just that, so I e-mailed Savinelli yesterday. We'll see what they tell me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If the pipe is smoking well, I'd suggest you buff up the stem you have and try it for a while. It might be

completely satisfactory, unless it's non-orginal status annoys you. Like small fills, sometimes a peculiarity

can be appealing after a while. If it doesn't please you, but you still like the pipe, I'd have a repairman make

a new stem to exact fit.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
I guess I could do that. Savinelli still hasn't answered my e-mail. There are no pipe repairmen that I know of here in Puerto Rico, so I'll have to find one elsewhere and ship the pipe. For now, I did manage to remove the oxidation and I'll polish it this weekend.

mso489, I'm not that bothered by not having the logo; the quality of the smoke always supersedes the look. Besides, only one of my friends is a pipe smoker, so I really don't have anyone to brag to, haha. That being said, it does annoy me a bit that the stem is a little too loose for comfort, and it's also a little off to the left by a millimeter, so it's not flush with the sides of the shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.