PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
At around three months into pipe smoking, with perhaps around 10 pipes, I'm finding - rather surprisingly - that I prefer my tighter draw pipes (Butz-Choquin, Peterson System P-lips). Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate the open draw of my Savinellis and my Stanwell. But the tigher draw of the narrower bore pipes helps me to smoke slower, both reducing tongue bite and enhancing tobacco flavor. And I find that tighter draw pipes are more enjoyable to clench for short periods of time. I don't enjoy clenching my open draw pipes at all, really - just too much smoke all the time.
This isn't a better/worse thing for me, just a preference. And of course, preferences can change quickly.
A fantastic smoke this morning with an absolutely superb tobacco in an absolutely superb pipe. And the fauna decided to join me as well (he/she must have known I wasn't much of a threat).

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Ah!
I had that happen yesterday. Was at my patio table and a squirrel with a walnut came up within a few feet and started cutting. Unusual because they are particularly skittish in my yard, since I have two big dogs whose favorite sport is bolting after squirrels.
It's the pipe. Gotta be. Wanted a closer look at that beauty.
Say... tight or open draw -- does blend or form matter? What range of tobaccos have you found you preferred the tighter draw with, out of curiosity? Both aros and non aros? Ribbon as well as slices? Drier or more moist?

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Great questions 12pups. Of the 25 or so tobaccos I currently have, around two-thirds are Virginia or Burley based, and around one third aros. Of the blends, many have perique.
I find that no matter which pipe I use, my aros smoke hotter and faster than my flakes and kakes. So I tend to smoke my aros in my Savinellis, and my Virginias/Burleys/English flakes and kakes in tighter draw pipes. The only aro, if you want to call it an aro, that I enjoy in a tighter draw pipe is Mac Baren Mixture Flake.
And as far as ribbon vs flakes/kakes, the flakes/kakes in tighter draws are much more enjoyable, with ribbon in more open draw.
I hadn't really noticed a pattern until you asked the question.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I am not usually fond of tighter draw pipes, but do have a few that I find good for tobaccos with higher nicotine content. Like you say, I have a tendency to smoke slower, not to avoid tongue bite, but to avoid to much nicotine intake too fast.
I also like a tighter draw when clenching a pipe over a long time. I usually stick a cob in my mouth with a mild Virginia blend, or even a Virginia/aro blend when I mow the lawn. I usually don't use filters, but while clenching and smoking in this case, I like using a filter as I will avoid the very open draw of a cob without a filter, thus avoiding tongue bite, and just smoking too fast. Just a matter of adjusting things for fit the conditions, tobacco, and whatever.

Jan 8, 2013
How can you not love squirrels, right? They're just fun little critters to watch... until a large bird of prey swoops down out of nowhere like silent winged death and snatches it away!!! Woohoo! Birds of prey are awesome! :D :) 8O :? ... now I'm sad, because squirrels are cute :cry:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find the openness of draw a matter of balance. Too closed a draw doesn't deliver the smoke and makes you work too

hard to keep the fire going. Too open a draw gets too much air in the mix, a problem sometimes with smoking filter

pipes without the filters. Within a certain range, both open and tighter draws can work well, depending on the blend

you're smoking. I like the mid-range the best; within that range, most pipes work pretty well.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think this is sort of the reason I liked Kaywoodies with the stinger when I first started. It sort of regulates the draw for you when you have crudy technique. After I was at it for a while, I was not as fond of them. So maybe an older Kaywoodie is in your future.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with Snag on Kaywoodies and stingers, they do force a slower cadence that is quite nice, particularly with flake tobacco (which I seem to rush in my other pipes).
Overall, I prefer a draw that is not "wide open" I'd call wide open a Castello or Rad Davis. I got tired of the fussiness of packing my Castellos and sold them. I have Rad Davis, which also rewards a careful, tight pack. My preference are my Ashton and Upshalls. They have a slighter restricted draw, but somehow they work better for my needs.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I pipe seller of highgrades told me that he prefers European pipes that are drilled more conservatively giving him, he feels, more flavor. I like them all given a clear airway.

bignben

Lurker
Aug 25, 2014
I concur with you Andy. I've noticed I prefer flakes and the likes with a tighter draw, while I prefer aros and the "loose" cuts with a wide draw. I feel like the wide draw really helps keep and eye on how tightly the tobacco is packed.

mainman341

Lurker
Aug 18, 2014
Hi flow = Hi taste for me..my current mindset. I think there is a reasonable minimum limit

beyond which..low flow becomes a detriment..

Doing a free draw, I can tell you whether the pipe is for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Vuillard bent apple that has a slightly restricted airway but that smokes very well. It feels too

tight when you blow out the empty airway, but once packed, it provides a good, concentrated smoke

without impeding the draw. It surprises me, because it doesn't have the ease of some other pipes, but

it works. So the function varies from pipe to pipe. I was intrigued by the post about selling the Radices

for having too open a draw. It's individual with both the pipe and the smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.