Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe reviewed to death I know but with the majority of reports being good thought I would give it a try.
Usually I prefer Plug Tobacco and on cracking open the tin I was disappointed at the aroma, not the usual plummy richness I am used to, though the smoky scent is quite pleasant.
Tried a bowl yesterday and again was disappointed, found it quite flat and bland didn't really taste much and was extremely mellow. All that said I wasn't too downhearted as I understand sometimes the first smoke of a tobacco isn't always the best and put it down to not being my usual tobacco type.
This morning I woke up and decided to give it another try, the smell this morning seemed richer and on lighting up immediately I could now taste the smokiness which reminds me of smoked fish type smell. The flavours where abundant nothing like yesterday and actually can't put a finger on them, that mildness that I was disappointed with yesterday was welcome and the whole smoke was really enjoyable. The Nicotine content didn't seem high but certainly enough in there for me.

I can understand why it's designed as a morning smoke but I think I could get along with it at other times of the day, probably one that requires a nice sit down to appreciate the subtle flavours
I was in real danger of writing this one off but have totally turned my opinion around in a single bowl and is definitely one I will buy again, thumbs up from me.
Cheers

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's called early morning pipe for a reason, I've never smoked it except for the first bowl of the day.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Thought the name was just just that to be honest but it's spot on, worried now as I wanted to try the London Mixture but I'm off to London next month so might wait until then lol :D

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Can't start a day wrong with a bowl of EMP and a cup of coffee. I find it burns fast but I think that's part of the early morning pipe ritual. You have to sip it slow but it still burns fast.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
No same pipe, I had a bowl of Mick Mcquaide plug in a different pipe earlier in the day and with that being a fairly strong flavour I think that is what what ruined the EMP for me yesterday.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Of the Dunhill English blends I prefer MM965. EMP isn't too bad though, but I agree with @Andrew that it is best in the morning.
@jamespworth, glad you found it more enjoyable the second time around -especially in a rested pipe- as EMP is pretty good stuff as far as a light English blend goes.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Earlier this month I bought a pound each of EMP and NC...when I like something I try to buy a lot of it. But before that I purchased P&C's Dunhill tin sampler, and just this week I opened the London Mix - I like it more. I wish all the Dunhill tobaccos were available in bulk.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A good mild tobacco is an achievement. Now that I have some of the stronger C&D burley blends in rotation,

Dunhill 965 tastes like a gentler morning blend to me. Nightcap has quite a bit of kick, when that's desired.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
just goes to show.
I like emp, but much prefer nightcap with my morning coffee.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I recently had the opportunity to try a mixture of 14yo and 19yo EMP and it was amazing. Not sure if it was more the age or it being the Murray's version, but it was amazing. Definitely made me want to put some more away for a good while. Luckily I already have a few 8yo tins.

christiann

Lurker
Aug 31, 2014
EMP was one of two tobaccos to really click for me. I have only been smoking a pipe for about 6 months consistently and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and McClelland Acadia have been the only two tobaccos to really give me a taste of what pipe smoking can feel right when done correctly.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
A fellow from this site sent me a few baccy's to try - EMP was one. It's one of my go to, everyday smokes. I also like the Match version of this. Slightly different cut, but seems to be the same otherwise.

bignben

Lurker
Aug 25, 2014
Man, EMP is one of my favorites. In fact, it's the tobacco that got me hooked on oriental blends!

Status
Not open for further replies.