Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
After 5 or more years of smoking a pipe, and having a brand new cob sitting in my collection for a year, I finally got around to trying one. Yes, I'll admit I'm one of those people that perhaps views the briar as superior to the cob, and if I was going to smoke a cob, it certainly wasn't going to be with good tobacco.
This weekend, when I realized the only way I was going to get a smoke in was while working in my garage and/or during the kids' nap, I pulled out the cob for the first time. I smoked two bowls- one loaded with Anni Kake, the other with MacBaren Rollcake.
I was pleasantly surprised. Nice smoke, good flavor. Certainly worthy of smoking "good" tobacco in. And, something just felt right about listening to country music, drinking coffee, smoking a cob, and getting work done outside.
So, in summary, to you cob fans: I have a new gained respect. I think I may add another cob to my collection soon :)
Happy smoking, be it corn, root, or block :puffy:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Virginias and VaPer's were made for cobs IMHO, I really like to tryout new mixtures in a cob to get a feel for what it smokes like. I also tend to steer cash strapped beginners toward the MM cobs and get them turned onto premium tobaccos, this ultimately leads many of them back to buy their first good briar pipe. I also supplement my rotation with my cobs, I never smoke the same briar more than once in a days smoking so if it's a day where I move through 3-4 pipes and still find myself wanting more in the evening, I'll bust out a cob. If I'm outside working or fishing or whatever I just take a cob along, I can smoke that pipe all day and just let it cool before reloading. There's a reason why MM cranks out 750,000 pipes a year!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have had both Cobs and briar for the last 20 years. Now that I am more serious about pipes, it is clear that the consensus is 100% correct, cobs smoke as well as (or better ?) any other material. Yes they are cheap, but they work real good. For around $10 I absolutely love my Missouri Meerchaum Mark Twain cobs.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have 3 cobs that sat unsmoked for quite some time. I avoided them because to me they seemed like more of a novelty item than a real pipe. A few weeks ago I finally smoked my MM Washington and really had a great smoke. It is now part of my regular pipe rotation. I have 2 Old Dominion cobs that still are unsmoked but that's because the chamber diameter is just to small for my liking. :puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
There is some wisdom in the old adage, of "Don't knock it unless you've tried it."
I suffered similar delusions regarding aromatics. Then I tried Bob's Chocolate Flake. That opened my mind. We're now smoking Classic Burley Kake this week, a Russ Oulette creation of Burley, Kentucky and Virginia tobaccos cased with anisette, cocoa, chocolate and rum. The flavoring are mild, almost just suggestive, the burleys are tame and and Kentucky lends body and rounded authority.
So, while I'm not an aromatic fan, some of my favorite blends are aros. So, I no longer turn up my nose at a blend because of its class.
I never had that problem with cobs. My first smoke was Prince Albert from a tin, smoked in a home made cob, on a tobacco farm in SC.
Pax

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
jkrug...seriously...drop some cube cut flake into one of those OD's...

tarak, congratulations! One's pipe and tobacco experience is incomplete without having at least given cobs a try.

I like the imagery you conjured of working in the yard, country music, and a cup of coffee.

A cob is like blue jeans and a t-shirt. Nothing fancy but really do the job.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I have to admit, I was a cob snob. Looked like something a hick would smoke, then my wife reminded me I am a hick. Just goes to show, you're never too old to learn that looks aren't everything. Now, I treasure my cobs, and have several. All are excellent smokers.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Welcome aboard!
I got 7 cobs, and I smoke at least one every day. I smoke all kinds in them but I think they favor the Va/per, but they sure do like Chelsea Morning as well. They are a wonderful retreat from briars and meers.. lending a cool and flavorful smoke, never failing to satisfy.
For that "extra" lil bit of happiness, go to http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/-forever-_stems.html, and order you a Forever Stem or 2! I got 9 (2 churchwardens)! Dave Wolff is second to none. These stems are all hand made in both acrylic and vulcanite to fit MM cobs! They are very affordable and will bring your cob to another level. Keep the original stems for work/clenching, but sitting around a fire, or where ever, I alway stick a forever stem on. The cool thing is.. most all the stems fit most all the cobs! Highly recommended by me, and a lot of others on here.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I do like the way they smoke. I keep meaning to buy more but living in the UK we don't get many types. I mainly only see the legends. The main thing that stops me smoking them though are those bloody awful stems.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
newbroom I'm gonna give that a try later tonight.

I also just got off the MM website where I order the grab bag of 10 seconds and a bent Country Gentleman....and so it begins!! :puffy:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
For around $10 I absolutely love my Missouri Meerchaum Mark Twain cobs.
Got 2 of those coming as we speak( To add to the other 40 MM Cobs I have now)I guess I kind-of-likem...

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Resistance is futile… Being the cheapsk.. err frugal type of guy, I save my cash for tobacco.

I have a few `briars but have been smoking only cobs since 2004. All day every day any tobacco (Dunhill Flake is currently smoldering in a plasterless Spool).

Welcome to the cob side…

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I've only smoked a cob once or twice. Tried it as a youngster emptying cigarettes into it and smoking it til it was scolding hot and a black crater formed on the bottom. I would like to try it again. Being a newbie pipesmoker it seems like a recommended step but I haven't ever seen one at the Swedish online retailers.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I would like to get a couple, I like everything that I have heard about them, actually I have never heard anyone say that he or she did not enjoy smoking a cob. I am wanting a few more pipes to explore the world VA blends (most all of my pipes are briars that have seen a lot of Latakia English and I believe that will interfere with the flavors from the VA), but the one thing about cobs that puts me off is the small chamber size. It seems like most of them are small chambers, and then there are a few like the General models and the Freehands, that are really big. Do you folks like the small chambers?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always enjoyed cobs, since I bought one years ago. I have Forever stems on most, and have a MM freehand that burns for an hour, or on and off all day. Contrary as I am, I like to play against type and am drawn to smoking a cob when in jacket and tie, although jeans and faded t-shirt work well. I also have two Old Dominion cobs which have the classic bamboo reed stems. Very small cobs are perfect for sampling, flake and short smokes. They work fine for any blend, no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.