PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Finally have some new pipes coming to me. So I'll be able to hang the other one up for good... I may frame it as a reminder not to buy one of those pieces of junk again. But anyway :) :) :) I have a new Nording freehand, a Bjarne Viking, a Savinelli, and Peterson St. Patrick's Day 2013 ordered as of minutes ago. Had a serious case of PAD and TAD (see that? I'm using terms now ;) ) and also purchased a new pipe zippo. I'm looking forward to the Nording and the Peterson the most. The Nording, just because I've been wanting a plain rough looking freehand pipe that a caveman might have smoked, for a while now. And the Peterson, because hey, it's getting close to St. Patty's Day and it's a pretty impressive looking pipe. I'm so stoked. I think I'll make the Nording my Blackhouse pipe. Not sure if i'm going to really designate the others.
Here's the Peterson. It's the purtiest of the bunch.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=119380
Now the waiting begins. Not trying to brag... just super excited, because I'll finally have some descent pipes.

Jul 15, 2011
Damn dude, that Peterson has some terrific grain. Hope she smokes well for you. I recently came down with a HUGE case of PAD, and in the span of two months bought two Savinellis, two Boswells, two FLN hand carved pipes, and 1 Nording 8O But once you get your hands on the Pete, the Nording, and the Savinelli, you will never look back and you will truly appreciate how good a smoke a proper pipe will give you.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Congrats Anthony. I like the shape on that Pete.
Let us know how they smoke!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats - I caught the PAD bug again myself, so I know the feeling well. Those are some good name pipes and the Peterson is a beauty.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks all :) About the Peterson, I was 'considering' buying one of those or perhaps another Nording. But while I was scrolling through Petersons that one latched onto my eyes like a pitbull and wouldn't let go. I think I stared at it for a good hour before finally clicking on the "Buy Me Now Or Die" button :lol: Who knows? Peterson's St. Patty's and the Christmas Pipes may be my collecting pipes. I've seen some nice looking Christmas's as well, and the 2012 St Patty's were pretty nice.
I am having to force myself not to go pipe shopping right now lol. I'll let you all know how my new babies smoke as soon as I can. The waiting is going to kill me.

Jul 15, 2011
The only thing worse than waiting for the pipes is deciding what tobacco you are going to use to break them in and what kind of tobacco you are going to dedicate to your pipe, or if youre going to dedicate it at all.

Jan 8, 2013
I am pretty stoked about the Nording :) I really like the hand carved look of it. Something about those freehands really speaks to me. They just seem natural. I don't know, it's kind of weird. The Bjarne, and the Savi, I'll look at as smoke buddies. They will be my friends and we will hang out and watch tv and walk outside together, and I will light fire on their heads... (ok... that was just weird) The Nording will definitely be my "Me" pipe. And I'm willing to bet the Peterson will be my "special" pipe. I'm seriously thinking about waiting until St. Patty's Day to smoke that one, just to give it a proper christening.
If I dedicate any of them, it might be the Nording. It screams "SMOKE BLACKHOUSE IN ME OR DIE" It's kind of disturbing really and I'm wondering if that is just my imagination or if I should seek professional help.

Jan 8, 2013
I can do that :) It's not a super high dollar Nording, it's one of those signature freehands. But again, I really like the look of it. It seemed to have my name on it. I've been looking at a couple others as well, and I'm sure I'll add more Nordings to my collection. I've seen some giant freehands that I found intriguing as well. This one is a bit plain, unfinished I believe, and a bit beat up looking. But that's what I like about it. I'm guessing (from what I've heard of unstained pipes, it will darken with time from the oils in my hands, and this looks like it will become quite nice looking over time.
http://smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=117135
I think we'll be good friends.

Dec 24, 2012
Very nice Pete, Anthony. I hope you have better luck with your Nording than I have had with mine. It is a gorgeous pipe to look at, but I think it has a drill problem. Very hard to keep lit and smokes wetter than an autumn day in Seattle. Tried it again on the weekend and still the same. May have to send it away and have it opened up.

Jan 8, 2013
I remember you stating that, peckinpah. Hopefully it smokes better for you if you send it in. I keep looking at the Peterson... and I can't help but think I'll smoke that one more often than I intend. The Bjarne and the Savi were inexpensive as well. The Bjarne looks like it's worth much more than the price, the Savi is a 'natural' but looks like it has some nice grain that will darken as well. It's the plainest looking thing in the bunch but again, it seems to speak to me in a way.
The savi is called an oom paul, although even new to this hobby it looks more like a bent dublin to me... http://pipesandcigars.com/sanawivubesa.html#.US5x4DCG2Sp
and here's the other... http://pipesandcigars.com/bjhodapibesa3.html#.US5xYjCG2Sp

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks rothnh :) I intend to do just that. I have this little flashlight that's perfect for looking down into the bowls too so i can be sure they're drilled well. I just ordered yesterday (well early this morning really), Pipes and Cigars already shipped out what I ordered from them so hopefully not too long a wait. I haven't checked with Smokingpipes yet.

Jan 8, 2013
I fully intend to captainsousie :) I'm looking at it as an early birthday present to myself... well actually a late birthday present since they'll likely arrive after my birthday which is on March 2nd. But I'm sure once they're in my hands and I'm puffing on them, it will be worth the wait. Well the other three anyway. I'm seriously thinking about waiting until St. Patty's Day to light up the Peterson for the first time. We'll see if I can wait that long.

Jan 8, 2013
Ok :)So I just got this package in the mail from smokingpipes.com In this box are my Peterson St. Patty's Day and my Nording freehand... I am opening the box now. (insert lots of giggles and a huge grin) Inside the box are two little boxes. One is plain brown with the Smoking Pipes logo, which is a pipe in a circle... I'm sure many of you know that. And a neat greenish box with shamrocks all over it saying Peterson of Dublin St. Patricks Day 2013 (Insert more giggles and a little dance) Opening the brown box now... ooooooh lots of little styrofoam thingies 8O :D Ok underneath all those thingies (I dumped them.. they're all over the floor and table now) is a neat little green suede-ish baggy with Nording written in gold (quite a nice bag... Nording must be in the Irish Spirit too) with a stem sticking out. What could it be? I'm pulling it out of the box now. Pulling stemmy looking thing out of green bag... It's a Nording freehand signature!!!! Yaaaaayyyy. And the photos did it no justice at all. This thing is huge! Quite a bit larger than I expected. I guess the lights they used when photographing it washed it out quite a bit, as it is darker than the photo, but good Lord in Heaven this thing is nice! It's a great big hunk of briar that feels really nice in the hand. It's truly a manly pipe. And I'm quite pleased it's a bit darker than the photo.(So many giggles and chair dancing, someone would think I'm going nuts)Ok... I'm going to stop caressing this thing like a lover and put her bag in her little green baggy. Moving on to the Peterson box...
Oooh neat! It's a box in a box :D and inside that box... more styrofoam thingies (did i mention the styrofoam thingies are green?) that I'm dumping all over the place. Confetti! Weeeeeee! (More giggling and grinning and chair dancing) Wouldn't you just know it.. that's in a green baggy thingy too! With Peterson of Dublin in white... they should have done gold too. Oh and there's a little "Hints For The Pipe Smoker" pamphlet in there too. I will read it later :)Taking pipe out of pouch now... What can I say other than it's gorgeous? :D (More giggling and chair dancing)It is a bit darker than the photo as well, but no less gorgeous. (Something to remember when ordering from Smoking Pipes.
I gotta tell you, I can't wait to smoke these beauties. I may have time before I get ready for work to smoke one of them, but if not I will have to wait until tomorrow evening. I'm working until closing tonight and then I gotta open in the morning so it will be to bed with me as soon as I get home from work. But as of now, I am quite pleased with them both... and man, that wood grain on the Nording is fantastic! Lots of close straight grain, and if I've learned anything about that since joining the forums, then this pipe could have sold for a whole lot more than what I paid for it. I am absolutely stoked.
Oh and for those wondering how they were shipped together in the larger box, they were surrounded by these air filled plastic bags, so I'm sure they had a nice soft journey. I would assume Smoking Pipes takes great care in how they ship out their pipes. :) (more giggling and chair dancing)

Status
Not open for further replies.