PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
For my first post in a bit I thought I'd give an update on my move. I finally made it to Latvia and so far it's been quite the experience. Getting our pets over has been a trial but nothing we couldn't handle. Aside from the jet lag there has been nothing else even remotely tough. Now it's all about paperwork and seeing if we're a good fit for the jobs here.
So far no pipe sightings but I am about to go down and smoke my first pipe in the country. The nearby supermarket had a good selection of pouched tobacco, nothing rare, just sail and the like, so I'll have options when I run out. As for customs, a worry for me with my pipes and tobaccos (carefully measured to come in under the import restrictions), there were no problems at all.
This is not at all what I expected from Eastern Europe but a pleasant surprise indeed. Good food, friendly people, fun architecture, what more could you ask for? Plus the food is CHEAP!!!
I must say that the gun store in the supermarket was a bit of a surprise. It was just a few stalls down from the growler (alus) station.
I hope to be able to post more in the next few months and since I'm in the home of Baltic Amber I hope to find some good old pipes with the right stems too.

Mar 31, 2014
Funny story about moving with dogs. Are any of your pets dogs?
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/11/dogs-dont-understand-basic-concepts.html

Mar 31, 2014
Just google.earth-ed Latvia. Looks gorgeous! Lots of farmland, huh? Love to see some pics when and if you get the chance. As an American (bad at geography), I hadn't realized that it was so far north.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good to see you posting again captain - sounds like quite the adventure! Glad to hear it's working out. I hope you can share some pics when you have settled in. Where in Latvia are you?

Aug 1, 2012
The dog story truly made me and the wifey laugh until we cried. Our cats are arriving tomorrow late so we'll see how well they adapt. The one who is usually well behaved and happy was the most upset while the grumpy one was her usual self...so far. Pics of the country will be coming soon and it is a truly beautiful place. Forests and farmland abounds and the fruit is good and plentiful (albeit seasonal only).
I'm in the capital city, Riga and the sun didn't go down until almost 10pm. It's been unusually warm but still not too bad (30C/90F) but the rain and breeze have helped...a nice bowl of Nightcap helped even more.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
sounds like a sweet place. I have always wanted to make it over to that side of the world. And as for the guns in the supermarket... sounds like walmart. Interesting how things have evolved to that.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks all. Well, the jet lag is starting to pass and my co-workers seem to be great. I am adjusting to the different language (still can't speak much but so far, so good) and the food is nothing short of fantastic. I had a burger this morning, the guy at the stand said it was from a highland cattle breed...you know the cows with really long hair, that I'm pretty sure I'll be going back many more times to get more. If you've ever been to the touristy bits of Scotland you'll know what I mean when I say some ground up Hamish tastes pretty good from the grill.
Saturdays are great for me since nobody gets up early. The markets don't open until 10 and the coffee shops don't open until 9. Speaking of coffee shops, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to the burned/weak coffee that we have back home. The stuff here is super tasty and truly strong. One cup is usually plenty and is the equivalent in size to a triple espresso and only marginally less strong :D .
I plan to visit my first pipe shop in the old town today so we'll see how that goes. The acceptance of the pipe has been great so far so I'm hopeful. You can't really walk through the market or parks while smoking but pretty much everywhere else outside is fair game. I will say though that the cigarettes here smell absolutely foul.
The pipes that I decided on have been pretty good choices so far but my choice of tobaccos does not necessarily go so well with the heat. I mostly brought English/Balkan tobaccos and a pouch of Carter Hall. Luckily, pouch/OTC tobacco is plentiful if a bit on the expensive side.
This is one hell of a city and a great country so far so let's hope it seems that way a few months from now.

Aug 1, 2012
Another update. Went to a tobacconist downtown today. Too packed with tourists to get a good photo but it was stocked well with tins and pouches. The pipe selection was not plentiful but what they had was quality.
The best bit? Most of the tins were under 10 Euro ($13.60-ish) for the 50 gram and around 20 Euro for the 100 gram tax included. Didn't get the price on the pouches but it did look like a few said "condor" on them for what it's worth.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I've relocated twice. Once to Japan, which was a real eye-opener and extremely stressful due to Japan's total unwillingness to deal with or even understand difference; and once to China, which was even more stressful due to being totally conned into going to a compete sh*thole, having almost no money and needing to run away from the job I had signed up for, then spending a good few weeks in genuine difficulty until it finally worked out. Last week, after more than three years doing very well in a second-tier city of "only" 6 million I relocated to a small but clean apartment in the heart of Shanghai. After spending 4.5 years in PRC I am due to start my 4th job at the start of next month. My salary has increased by >425% in four years. China is difficult. Many Westerners go mad here and I myself have had to deal with more crap than is possibly good for me; the indolence, disorganisation, corruption and sheer incompetence of many people, not to mention the apparent absolute unfamiliarity with common sense, is very draining and it never really leaves you. We all decided what our uncrossable line is and much in China is so waaaay beyond the line of Europe or America that many of "us" spend our lives in quasi-perpetual disbelief and simmering rage. But, there is work here. There is work here. I often wonder what it must have been like for immigrants going to New York from Tuscany at the end of the 19th C; substituting a country of almost peerless culture and beauty for a near-barbaric melting pot with loads of cash. I did spend 6 weeks in Praha about a decade ago and found it pretty decent, with great lager, very attractive girls and great food; was offered three jobs on the spot but eventually returned to Scotland to finish my degree.

Good luck to the OP! Latvia isn't very different. You should do fine

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Sounds like a fun experience! I went to high school many, many years ago with quite a few Latvian kids. They were great fun, even if they had strange names by American standards. Really would like to see some pics though.

Should we look forward to seeing your move to another country on "House Hunters International" any time soon? :lol:

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
my paternal grandfather left Riga about a century ago; maybe it's time for me to go back. I assume any outstanding warrants or overdue library books would be voided by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.