PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
At a very beginner level, that is. It's actually really exciting, until the past month or two, the tobaccos i've smoked have just been aro's or whatever mixtures of tobaccos to make a blend. I finally bought an English/Latakia mixture (Brebbia) a month or two ago and got my first taste of latakia. I've recently discovered, or I think I have, what the perique is in that blend. I have also recently discovered what Burley is and what it tastes like (half and half, and I just opened a tin of Astley's matured dark virginia and tried it. Now I have a good idea of what the virginias in the past blends i've tried have more specifically been. I now know my opinions of blends can quickly change, so i'm not going to review the astelys, but I think if thats what most virginias can generally taste like, I'm not the hugest virginia fan for a regular smoking basis, because I recognize the taste in the other blends i've tried. Its fun, its like i'm narrowing down tobaccos to what kinds I actually prefer so I can more accurately pick what tobaccos to buy and try, ones I think i'll like. Unfortunately it comes at some cost, for instance if I continue to not really like the Astleys, i'll have almost a full tin of a tobacco i'm not a big fan of. I could always do a swap with someone maybe.
Anyways, its just cool to finally start being able to tell what the different tobaccos in a blend taste like. Long ways to go to specifically detect different flavours and aromas, but its a journey I guess, haha.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Loseth, the tin description for your Astleys is this " Deep flavored, heat cured, naturally fermented and matured Black Cavendish."
You may not want to think of this as a typical Virginia. I would try a tin of Dunhill Flake to get a better idea of what a Virginia is.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Loseth, the tin description for your Astleys is this " Deep flavored, heat cured, naturally fermented and matured Black Cavendish."

Nope, you're thinking a different blend, this is Astley's No. 88, "Matured Dark Virginia" then below it says "Full Virginia ready rubbed."
And on the back of the tin it says "Deep flavoured black stoved Virginia, naturally fermented and matured."

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is the description from other places.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/astleys/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=258

http://pipesandcigars.com/no88matdarvi.html#.UXGAnLWG2Og

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is Virginia tobacco but the method of curing it makes it a Cavendish, which I believe makes it much different than your typical straight Virginia.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Loseth:
I'll also add that -- without getting into whether you're smoking a dark-stoved Virginia or a Virginia cavendish, which are significantly different beasts -- a dark-stoved Virginia has quite a different character than a Virginia that is not dark-stoved. I happen to love dark-stoved flakes -- both Butera and McClelland make outstanding examples -- but the flavor is much different than you'll find in something like Rattray's Old Gowrie, SG's Full Virginia Flake, and Dunhill Flake.
Bob

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Interesting, I just read what was one the tin apparently. Its good to know that a cavendish is or was a virginia at one point.

I have a tin of Orlik golden sliced flake and erinmore flake on my wishlist on smokingpipes, are those also good examples of a straight virginia?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Have you considered trying a tin of Haddo's Delight or Hal O' The Wind?

These are two of my favorite Virginia blends.

Both are simply outstanding.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.