Finally Joined the Brigham Chinook Fan-Club

(31 posts)
  1. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know, I know, I know...

I am a horrible Canadian.

No, really, I'm not very good at it. I don't watch hockey, I think Jordan was better at his game than Gretzky was at his, and I don't apologize much.

On top of all of that, until yesterday I didn't own a Brigham. Sure, I've cleaned up and sold a boat-load, but I hadn't yet found one that tickled my fancy. But a recent eBay find cured me of this little issue.

Here it is, at $45 shipped, I think I got a pretty good deal.

-- Pat

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well it's about bloody time! Great smoking pipes, as you know my favourite is a Chinook. As for your other statements..........well aside from suggesting deportation, we'll just have to let it go at "silly American".

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, really, I'm not very good at it. I don't watch hockey, I think Jordan was better at his game than Gretzky was at his, and I don't apologize much.

Same Boat here! oh and i hate beer

And i don't own a Brigham anymore sold all mine whoops!

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Andrew, you don't even have an excuse..........please hand over your passport.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two! Brighams, one thanks to the generosity of Pat, and I love them. I drink beer once in a while, I like maple syrup, I've seen a hockey game, and one of my favorite movies is "Strange Brew". I've even been to Canada a few times.... So does that make me an honorary Canadian?

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 4 years ago #
  6. huskysibe

huskysibe

Login to Send PM

Wow, great looking pipe and smoking deal you got on it! Enjoy that one and smoke it for many years.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Andrew, you don't even have an excuse..........please hand over your passport.

Don't worry Andrew, Brian doesn't really mean it. In fact, he'll probably up and apologize in a few minutes for overstepping, and then offer you conciliatory poutine and beaver tails.

For the record, I do drink beer, I love the winter, I have gone ice fishing and I spell colour and flavour with a "u". Which could just mean that I'm from Northern England, but I'm not that sarcastic. Close. But not close enough.

-- Pat

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't watch hockey, I think Jordan was better at his game than Gretzky was at his

The first part of this comment is obvious based on the latter part.

You are a complete disgrace for going this long without owning a Brigham. I have reported you to the Canadian embassy. They will conduct a test. If it turns out you hate maple syrup and have an aversion to poutine, then I am afraid that your immediate expulsion from the country will necessarily follow.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But then again, you do love Tim Hortons, so that might earn you a pass.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are a complete disgrace for going this long without owning a Brigham. I have reported you to the Canadian embassy. They will conduct a test. If it turns out you hate maple syrup and have an aversion to poutine, then I am afraid that your immediate expulsion from the country will necessarily follow

My parents tap their own sugar bush and make produce wonderful maple syrup just a few miles from Algonquin Park. I enjoy poutine, but prefer authentic poutine to the stupid crazy gourmet versions of chili cheese fries that are popping up all over the place. I used to deliver the Toronto Star, I've "gone fishing" in the trout tank at the old Toronto Sportsman's Show, and I spent one whole winter living and working in Winnipeg. I think I'm good.

PS - not watching hockey now, doesn't mean I don't understand it, or how it's played. Jordan had a level of control, and fierceness, that Gretzky just couldn't touch.

-- Pat

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pat, if Gretzky never got a single goal in his NHL career he would still be the all time points leader. 'Nuff said.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. alex87

alex87

Login to Send PM

Being an expat from northern england now a Canadian I get it haha. I love beer but can't follow hockey. And I do own a Brigham, a Voyageur...but I do need a Chinook. They are great looking pipes. Do the newer Chinooks have the bowl coating? I found my voyageur smokes oddly but I can't pin down why...wondering if it is the coating inside or just my bad you technique?

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Both the Chinook and the Acadian have bowl coatings. Even back when manufacturing was in Toronto, Brigham pipes had a bowl coating. They used to use a simple clay coat. The new bowl coating is clearly an evolution and is charcoal grey in colour.

-- Pat

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Pat. I love my chinook as I seem to just copy everything Brian likes

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. tallguy

tallguy

Login to Send PM

Well... as a fellow canadian... I am ashame to say that I didn't even know that Brigham pipes are made in Canada.

Well being new to all this, I hope that you will excuse my lack of knowledge and give me a bit of time to go get one...

I am still in my tobacco tasting phase (so mostly buying tobacco by small amount)...

BTW... who would have been the best hockey player... Gretzky or Lemieux (if he didn't have his back problem) if they had been playing at the same time... (just letting the wolf in the den)...

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. quincy

quincy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love my Brighams. Every one of them!

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard Pat. I love my chinook as I seem to just copy everything Brian likes

This is true. I just wish I had more pipes to sell you guys.

I am ashame to say that I didn't even know that Brigham pipes are made in Canada.

Don't feel too badly, they are actually made in Italy and France now.

BTW... who would have been the best hockey player...

Jordan.

-- Pat

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The level of statistical dominance in a true TEAM game (unlike basketball) such as Gretzky possessed is beyond reproach and is unrivaled by any participant in any sport on the planet. Jordan was quite possibly the greatest professional athlete we've seen, but dominance of his sport pales in comparison to Gretzky, honestly it doesn't belong in the same sentence, and I loved Jordan.

As for Lemieux, best one on one pure scorer the game has ever seen. However, woulda shoulda coulda. .....but Gretzky's allure is that he lasted as long in such a fierce sport (once again, unlike basketball) and was such a small man at only 165 lbs and produced and survived for as long as he did shows the pure mastery he had over the sport.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PS Brigham pipes rock! (Just to stay on topic)

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am confused. Jordan was Baseball right?

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think I am going to have to fire my Chinook up tonight with a little Klondike Gold.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dan I have one of Erik Stokkebye's new pipes made by Neerup and it is fantastic. I have the 1855 in a black sandblast that is very reminiscent of a Brigham Chinook finish......... just something you may want to check out! LOL

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am confused. Jordan was Baseball right?

Yup....... smacked the hell out of a curveball if I recall correctly.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now, the test of a true Canadian sports fan would have to be their knowledge of lacrosse. And as far as dominance in their respective sports, John Grant Jr would give Gretzky and Jordan a run for their money. And he is still playing today.

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm on it Brian

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

However, woulda shoulda coulda. .....but Gretzky's allure is that he lasted as long in such a fierce sport (once again, unlike basketball) and was such a small man at only 165 lbs and produced and survived for as long as he did shows the pure mastery he had over the sport.

McSorley, Semenko, and McCelland helped.

Hey I'm keeping it on topic, I mentioned McCelland.

Kidding. Grats on the pipe.

Posted 4 years ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That's a nice and very elegant classic shape, Pat. I guess the band is nickel?

Posted 4 years ago #
  29. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a nice and very elegant classic shape, Pat. I guess the band is nickel?

You betcha. It is a nickel band. The blast is a little more sedate than I like, but it's consistent with the rest of the Chinook line. It is a very easy pipe to hold, and I have a soft spot in my heart for Brigham's stem material.

-- Pat

Posted 4 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

portalhq

Login to Send PM

Dear Canadians, please send all the Brighams you can to the USA, wonderful pipes, we will get rid of them for you.

I've got 3 Brighams plus two on order but no Chinooks yet. Even the cheap ones smoke great. OP that is a handsome pipe.

P.S. Send more hockey players too!

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dear Canadians, please send all the Brighams you can to the USA, wonderful pipes, we will get rid of them for you.

Keep your eyes peeled on the "Buy & Sell" forum, there are a few of us (Smokeybear and purplemotoman) who regularly find, clean up and move along vintage "Made in Canada" Brigham pipes.

-- Pat

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ssjones, mikethompson, jfred, chasingembers, leafsmoker