PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I had a little 314 I think it was but sold it. Now after two years of pipe smoking I found an estate dude of the Repbulic Era with hallmarks. Had a little ghost in it still after a quick cleaning so I figured some good ole Condor could wipe that out. Green smoke! hehe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You didn't just get a Peterson. You got a piece of their history. I don't have anything quite that classic, but I've been lucky with my Petes, all good solid pipes, with that hefty stalwart look.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Hahahaha jkrug

Ok then...

As purchased:($35)

34s04mc.jpg

Phase one cleaning: (Stem only slightly scrubbed so far)

33z2na9.jpg

2ujm9nc.jpg

i4ints.jpg

So now how about some help on the production date of this pipe?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
The Shamrock is a Peterson symbol?

The Lion is a sign of quality of the silver right?

Shouldn't that be a letter on the end? Is that an "I" denoting 1950 and start of the Republic Era Peterson? It looks more like it would be a "T" and 1961 to me.

I have a hard time sorting thru all the hallmarks.

hallmarking-new.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Found that the Shamrock denotes a non silver metal, so this is probably nickel. On this pipephil link under "Irish Free State" there is a hallmark set exactly like the one on my pipe and it says these are "faux hallmarks and cannot be of any help to date the pipe".
So I'm at a loss at to how to date this pipe with any real narrow timeline except "1950 – Present".

Am I on target here?
Still its a fine pipe to me for the money. Its not a straight grain but I see only one fill. Its at the top rim on right side and that's it! The draw hole is centered perfectly. The stem I suspect since I see no "P" is a replacement.
Well, I now have a Peterson again, Whahoo! It doesn't take much to make me happy, hehe.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Well, there's still a ghost of some kind in this pipe. Looks like a retort cleaning and salt treatment is in order.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Several retort shots and a 24 hour salt treatment has helped immensely. I recommend this before anyone gives up on a ghosted pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.