PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I got this off ebay. It looks to me like it's in good condition. The meer bowl has a little chip out of the bottom, but I got it for a good price, and I can always get a replacement.

sdgs.jpg

wettwt.jpg

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I got it for a really good price. I used my ebay bucks on it. I got it for $29 and some change. Most of the ones at that price are really beat up. It looks pretty clean on the inside to me, just a little oxidation on the stem.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very nice...congrats! Looks like a VERY good buy at that price. I've yet to obtain a calabash myself...definitely intend to one day. Just seems like every pipe collection needs at least one. Enjoy! :puffy:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Just seems like every pipe collection needs at least one

I agree. I think a full collection is on that has at least one of everything. A cob, a briar, a clay, a meer, a calabash, and a churchwarden. You could had one of the synthetic material pipes, but I don't know anyone that likes them

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Congrats on the Cala, Uber. That is a sweet looking pipe. Enjoy! And maybe indulge a good Sherlock Holmes mystery (even though he didn't smoke calabash pipes in the books) while you're at it!

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Clench that classic in your teeth, take a photo, and show us a new avatar!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The calabash is one shape I've not grown an affection for yet. Maybe it has something to do with people always associating it with Holmes and Holmes never was mentioned having a calabash pipe in the stories, as far as I recall. The calabash/Holmes connection started when an actor wanted a pipe to use on stage that would be clearly visible in the back row.
As far as smoking goes, I've heard they're really smooth and cool. That one looks like it should give a good cool smoke and will definitely give a long time of enjoyment. Looks like it's in good condition and doesn't need much cleaning at all. For the price that's definitely a win. Conrats on the find. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.