PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
And I snatched that puppy up. I think it cost me about $6-$7 for the pouch. I took it home, opened it later that night and packed it up into my Nording churchwarden and made my way to the back porch. It was a little bit moist, but like many OTC tobaccos, I generally regard most of them as ready to smoke from the pouch with very little drying time. I was right again.
This shag cut really is different, and by different I'm referring to filling my bowl with it. I think this is my first shag cut tobacco. It almost felt like I was packing too much in there, but it didn't seem that way once lit. It did curl up and over the rim a tad, but nothing my trusty tamper couldn't fix. Smoked it while I grilled a steak and some mushroom and bell pepper kabobs. It was so very smooth and delightful. I brought it with me and fully intend to smoke another bowl in the meer today, which is coloring up quite nicely, I must say.
Final thoughts on the SWRA is that I genuinely enjoy it. It seems to quench my thirst for an aro while at the same time providing at least a moderate amount of the hit from the nicotine I look for and doesn't seem like a "light" tobacco like many other aros seem to be to me. If you're interested in it, definitely pick up a pouch and give it a whirl. You more than likely will not be disappointed. I know I'll be purchasing more, likely the tub next time.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
SWR Aro is possibly my favorite OTC blend. Just the right amount of flavors. Have yet to try it in the tub - ray, what differences do you notice?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I find it far better from the tub.
+1
20181008_101127.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of my favored aros, a good balance between the burley base, the Virginia condiment, and the three-liqueur flavoring. It's tobacco-forward to me, burns evenly and doesn't require much relighting. I get no flavor from the regular SWR, but the Aro is in my rotation.

Reactions: f4phantomdriver
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I find it far better from the tub.
I think I read that somewhere else too. Once I drain the pouch, I'll definitely pick up a tub of it. This particular store also had CH in the tubs and pouch along with Middleton's Cherry. Might have to try the Middleton's Cherry too.
I would agree, MSO, it has a very good balance. I thought initially that the liqueur flavorings might over power the tobaccos, but they seem to compliment them as I still get that nutty, chocolatey sensations from the burleys. I could easily see this being included in a rotation.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
ray, what differences do you notice?
I find the tub is more fresh and retains its flavor a lot longer. I also don't get the bitters from the tub compared to the pouch. Of course this is according to my tastes. Others may find the opposite. Bottom line is, if you like SWRA in the pouch, you'll most likely like it from the tub.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I have this one on my wishlist. I just ordered the regular SWR and looking forward to trying it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Definitely, next time a must have this along with the R Daughters 'Two timers'

Carolina Churchwarden: Do Your self a favor and get a pouch of Amphora Original regular, I'm pretty confident You're gonna like it.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Carolina Churchwarden: Do Your self a favor and get a pouch of Amphora Original regular, I'm pretty confident You're gonna like it.
Well, I just saw somewhere is having a sale on Amphora now until the 18th, so I might take advantage of that. I have been wanting to try some for some time now, just never ran across it.
Edit: Oh, it's over at SP's, just saw the add flash again.

pastorpiper

Lurker
Dec 16, 2016
Yep.....SWRa is my favorite aro too. I also regular SWR and would even call that a mild aro too. Often that will scratch the aro itch too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pastor', a number of the old OTC so-called codger blends have a subtle flavoring. I tried a pouch, then a tub, of my dad's old favorite Kentucky rough cut, Granger. My local independent pipe shop owner told me that technically it was an aro. Until he told me that, I never noticed, but I think he was right. The flavoring is subtle, but it's there. For some reason, SWR Regular is one burley I can't much taste, but many have enjoyed it for many years, so it's me. Mostly I'm wild about any burley or burley blend, in English blends, with Cavendish and Virginia, etc. etc. Semois, yes-yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.