Tags:  No tags yet. 

Finally Found my Castello

(29 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by alaskanpiper
  • Latest reply from mso489
  1. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

As many of you know, as a newer pipe smoker, now that I finally have a little bit of a handle on my tobacco preferences (at least for now), i've been testing out various pipe shapes for a while with more budget friendly makers to figure out which shapes I most enjoy. I have also been observing the pipes of higher end makers throughout this process, to learn more about which ones I may want to go for when I decide to pull the trigger on the shapes I really like. I got the ball rolling with an Ashton Pebble Grain Dublin a while back and couldn't be happier.

The next shape on my list was either a prince or a tomato, as I've found myself enjoying shorter, wider bowls lately, particularly with English blends. The next maker on my list was Castello, as I really admire the shape chart and their reputation as great smokers here on the forum is second to none. I have been watching and waiting, and, well, the right pipe finally surfaced for me and I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Castello 26. It's an estate, but looks to be in pretty darn good condition. I can't wait for it to arrive, I'm so excited to load it up. Anyone have experience with this particular shape? If so, I'd love to know your experiences/tips/recommendations...best cuts/blends for the shape, etc.

Thanks!

Frank

Here she is:

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 2 months ago #
  2. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Oh, and it's a Collection, 2006, KKK

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Sweet!

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

Congrats! I, surprisingly, don’t have any tomatoes. I can definitely endorse Castello pipes.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. jfred

jfred

Login to Send PM

That's a great looking pipe, congratulations. Be careful though, I personally found Castellos to be strongly addictive and one just wasn't enough…

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ooooh Oooh Oooooh!!!! This is great!!! You're still new here, and it's my first chance to get to tell you.....

Congrats! And enjoy the heck out of it!!!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks something like a chubby Prince of Wales with a Hapsburg chin - I love it!

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 2 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A very nice example. Congratulations

Posted 2 months ago #
  9. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really Nice..Should smoke great.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 2 months ago #
  10. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

A beautiful take on the Prince shape. I too find that I am liking shorter wide chambers for English blends. I am interested to know how it smokes for you. Looks like a great pipe!

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lovely pipe. Beautiful grain & birdseye.

I have several Squashed Tomatoes (or Squashed Princes) which cradle nicely in hand & smoke well. One, a Briar Workshop Squat Tomato with an oddly shaped bowl, is dedicated to English/Balkan tobacco. My latest PAD is a Morta that I have yet to smoke.
    They are nice sitters too.

I expect that you will thoroughly enjoy this pipe.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 months ago #
  12. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

One, a Briar Workshop Squat Tomato with an oddly shaped bowl, is dedicated to English/Balkan tobacco.

I had never heard of Briar Workshop until you posted this. Those are some excellent looking pipes!

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. tfdickson

tfdickson

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe Frank! I'm not a clencher so I've come to appreciate "hand feel" and that one looks like it would fit in the paw just right. I can't imagine you'll be anything but thrilled with how it smokes.

By the way I grew up in Anchorage and still have family there.

Ted

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe Frank! I'm not a clencher so I've come to appreciate "hand feel" and that one looks like it would fit in the paw just right. I can't imagine you'll be anything but thrilled with how it smokes.

By the way I grew up in Anchorage and still have family there.

I'm sort of an on/off clencher with each smoke so I definitely thought about the hand feel when making the purchase, I like that rounder shape in thicker walled pipes.

That's awesome! I live in the Knik River Valley, but I grew up splitting time between Anchorage and a place called Shell Lake (in the bush). I still work in Anchorage, and commute every day. What part of town did you grow up in?

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. tfdickson

tfdickson

Login to Send PM

[/quote] I'm sort of an on/off clencher with each smoke so I definitely thought about the hand feel when making the purchase, I like that rounder shape in thicker walled pipes.

That's awesome! I live in the Knik River Valley, but I grew up splitting time between Anchorage and a place called Shell Lake (in the bush). I still work in Anchorage, and commute every day. What part of town did you grow up in? [quote]

I grew up right downtown, near the old Family Market (now New Sagaya I think) at the corner of 13th and I. My parents moved south just a bit right near Potter Marsh and my brother and his family live in Eagle River.

Did you ever get a chance to visit Pete's Tobacco Shop on 5th ave when he was still alive? Great little spot.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

That's rad, I know exactly where you were, love me some Sagaya. Only place to go for sashimi grade ahi in town, really. And that little pizza shop they used to have! BBQ Leek Pizza was my fave. Potter Marsh and Eagle River.....ritzy! haha.

Yeah, I went to Pete's all the time when I was way into cigars, they had that "inner sanctum" back smoking room, some other cigar heads and I would have little mini-herfs there from time to time when I lived in Anchorage. It was definitely a well known Anchorage "character" spot. Unfortunately it went to shit (unpaid taxes is the rumor) and they closed up shop. It has since re-opened as "5th Avenue Cigars." I went in a few weeks back and was not really impressed. They had a few decent C&D and GLP bulks. The only tins they had were two tins of Navy Rolls for $50 each, hahaha. Their cigar wrappers were all covered in dust, and they were dry as hell. Apparently that back room still exists. They did remodel the place nicely though, and unlike Pete's, there wasn't a line of homeless people buying rolling tobacco to wait behind.

The spot to go now in Anchorage is G&P tobacco for sure. Good humidor with modest but very high quality selection, lots of house blends that are pretty good, and often some hard to find stuff in bulks (bought some stonehaven and penzance there on teusday, last week SG squadron leader). Their tin selection is only a handful, but they are realistic about competing with the likes of SPC, P&C,etc. in that regard considering the AK 120% tobacco tax. The have everything from fancy meers and new petes/savs to estate dunhills in there. It's a good shop with a very knowledgeable owner.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. tfdickson

tfdickson

Login to Send PM

Very cool! I hope to make it back up there at the end of the summer, I'd like to check out G&P.

Posted 2 months ago #
  18. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Do it! It's a small shop, but a good one. If you make it up, let me know with a PM. If you have time and are up for it I'll meet you there for a bowl.

Posted 2 months ago #
  19. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great looking Castello. I hope you love how it smokes, congrats.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  20. ebnash

ebnash

Login to Send PM

As already mentioned, Castellos are highly addictive. Purchased my 1st less than a month and already have 2 more. My other pipes aren’t getting much attention.

Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...
    Posted 2 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

headhunter

Login to Send PM

Beautiful shape, you’ll love it, I do.

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

Castellos are great. Enjoy, and fight the addiction!

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All Castellos are expected to smoke well and effortlessly ,at least what I have do so,but Yes, Congrats on Your brand new acquisition.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 month ago #
  24. davidsaulmarshall

davidsaulmarshall

Login to Send PM

That's a beautiful pipe! In fact, it will probably have me thinking about the tomato shape more often from now on. Enjoy that famous wide-open draw!

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stellar, bubba! Smoke it in good he.... Oh, heck, just smoke it. }:)

BTW, speaking of tomatoes, you need to see "The Thing." It's one of jaytex's pieces, & I'm gonna tell you, it is ugggggg-LEE! OK, it really *isn't* that heinous, but with a name like that. Check it out here.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fabled-sublime-smoke-to-grey-ash-on-one-light-alert

Oh, also, you need to see some of Jay's tattoos. Seriously As a teaser, one involves a skull & toothbrush. Seriously.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  26. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

BTW, speaking of tomatoes, you need to see "The Thing." It's one of jaytex's pieces

Haha, that is quite the......................thing. Not that bad though, and certainly unique. That man does seem to love some ugly ass pipes though. (Sorry, Jay! To each their own, etc.) Just nabbed one of those 8oz Potlatch tins myself, P & C had them on sale for $15.99. Couldn't resist that price. Not sure if it's still going.

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

In fact, it will probably have me thinking about the tomato shape more often from now on.

I never thought much about tomatoes until recently either, this is my first one. But lately I began to notice I was really enjoying English blends in the short wide bowl of a prince or pot. Then I began to notice I was enjoying them even more in those two shapes when the pipe itself had thicker chamber walls...............then it hit me..........holy tomato, batman! I need a tomato!

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love that Castello. I really like how nice and cool that shape tends to smoke. Just have to be a bit careful that the bowl isn't too shallow. Great flake pipes.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My home-state carver Jerry Perry pulled a pocket pipe from under the display counter for me at the state fair with a bowl about like this, though the pipe has a shorter and thicker shank and stem (amber color). I find the bowl is deeper and bigger than it looks. I did survey the whole display, but I bought the recommended pipe. It turned out even better than I thought. Yours looks most promising.

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   the85boro, mso489, jguss, donjgiles, yaboofive, skeeter456, cosmicfolklore, mtwaller, james72