PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
As many of you know, as a newer pipe smoker, now that I finally have a little bit of a handle on my tobacco preferences (at least for now), i've been testing out various pipe shapes for a while with more budget friendly makers to figure out which shapes I most enjoy. I have also been observing the pipes of higher end makers throughout this process, to learn more about which ones I may want to go for when I decide to pull the trigger on the shapes I really like. I got the ball rolling with an Ashton Pebble Grain Dublin a while back and couldn't be happier.
The next shape on my list was either a prince or a tomato, as I've found myself enjoying shorter, wider bowls lately, particularly with English blends. The next maker on my list was Castello, as I really admire the shape chart and their reputation as great smokers here on the forum is second to none. I have been watching and waiting, and, well, the right pipe finally surfaced for me and I pulled the trigger yesterday on a Castello 26. It's an estate, but looks to be in pretty darn good condition. I can't wait for it to arrive, I'm so excited to load it up. Anyone have experience with this particular shape? If so, I'd love to know your experiences/tips/recommendations...best cuts/blends for the shape, etc.
Thanks!
Frank
Here she is:
castello-26.jpg

castello-26-2.jpg

castello-26-3.jpg

castello-26-4.jpg

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
That's a great looking pipe, congratulations. Be careful though, I personally found Castellos to be strongly addictive and one just wasn't enough… :D

Jan 8, 2013
Ooooh Oooh Oooooh!!!! This is great!!! You're still new here, and it's my first chance to get to tell you.....
Congrats! And enjoy the heck out of it!!! :clap:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Looks something like a chubby Prince of Wales with a Hapsburg chin - I love it!

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
A beautiful take on the Prince shape. I too find that I am liking shorter wide chambers for English blends. I am interested to know how it smokes for you. Looks like a great pipe!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Lovely pipe. Beautiful grain & birdseye.
I have several Squashed Tomatoes (or Squashed Princes) which cradle nicely in hand & smoke well. One, a Briar Workshop Squat Tomato with an oddly shaped bowl, is dedicated to English/Balkan tobacco. My latest PAD is a Morta that I have yet to smoke.

They are nice sitters too.
I expect that you will thoroughly enjoy this pipe.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
One, a Briar Workshop Squat Tomato with an oddly shaped bowl, is dedicated to English/Balkan tobacco.
I had never heard of Briar Workshop until you posted this. Those are some excellent looking pipes!

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Beautiful pipe Frank! I'm not a clencher so I've come to appreciate "hand feel" and that one looks like it would fit in the paw just right. I can't imagine you'll be anything but thrilled with how it smokes.
By the way I grew up in Anchorage and still have family there.
Ted

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Beautiful pipe Frank! I'm not a clencher so I've come to appreciate "hand feel" and that one looks like it would fit in the paw just right. I can't imagine you'll be anything but thrilled with how it smokes.
By the way I grew up in Anchorage and still have family there.
I'm sort of an on/off clencher with each smoke so I definitely thought about the hand feel when making the purchase, I like that rounder shape in thicker walled pipes.
That's awesome! I live in the Knik River Valley, but I grew up splitting time between Anchorage and a place called Shell Lake (in the bush). I still work in Anchorage, and commute every day. What part of town did you grow up in?

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
[/quote] I'm sort of an on/off clencher with each smoke so I definitely thought about the hand feel when making the purchase, I like that rounder shape in thicker walled pipes.
That's awesome! I live in the Knik River Valley, but I grew up splitting time between Anchorage and a place called Shell Lake (in the bush). I still work in Anchorage, and commute every day. What part of town did you grow up in?
I grew up right downtown, near the old Family Market (now New Sagaya I think) at the corner of 13th and I. My parents moved south just a bit right near Potter Marsh and my brother and his family live in Eagle River.
Did you ever get a chance to visit Pete's Tobacco Shop on 5th ave when he was still alive? Great little spot.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's rad, I know exactly where you were, love me some Sagaya. Only place to go for sashimi grade ahi in town, really. And that little pizza shop they used to have! BBQ Leek Pizza was my fave. Potter Marsh and Eagle River.....ritzy! haha.
Yeah, I went to Pete's all the time when I was way into cigars, they had that "inner sanctum" back smoking room, some other cigar heads and I would have little mini-herfs there from time to time when I lived in Anchorage. It was definitely a well known Anchorage "character" spot. Unfortunately it went to shit (unpaid taxes is the rumor) and they closed up shop. It has since re-opened as "5th Avenue Cigars." I went in a few weeks back and was not really impressed. They had a few decent C&D and GLP bulks. The only tins they had were two tins of Navy Rolls for $50 each, hahaha. Their cigar wrappers were all covered in dust, and they were dry as hell. Apparently that back room still exists. They did remodel the place nicely though, and unlike Pete's, there wasn't a line of homeless people buying rolling tobacco to wait behind.
The spot to go now in Anchorage is G&P tobacco for sure. Good humidor with modest but very high quality selection, lots of house blends that are pretty good, and often some hard to find stuff in bulks (bought some stonehaven and penzance there on teusday, last week SG squadron leader). Their tin selection is only a handful, but they are realistic about competing with the likes of SPC, P&C,etc. in that regard considering the AK 120% tobacco tax. The have everything from fancy meers and new petes/savs to estate dunhills in there. It's a good shop with a very knowledgeable owner.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Do it! It's a small shop, but a good one. If you make it up, let me know with a PM. If you have time and are up for it I'll meet you there for a bowl.

ebnash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Los Gatos, CA
As already mentioned, Castellos are highly addictive. Purchased my 1st less than a month and already have 2 more. My other pipes aren’t getting much attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.