PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
B129cG9l.jpg

IzcsNwxl.jpg

zrhUUqul.jpg

Although I don't want to admit it, a large part of my focus in collecting is to get an example of every British sandblast I can. I don't want to admit it because it's a pretty daunting task and I don't want to burden myself LOL but there is a very strong undercurrent in my collecting that drives me to seek these out.
A Barling Fossil has been on my list for quite a while, but as of yet no luck. Many of them seem to have been smoked very hard, are totally clapped out, go for big money or there's so much interest that I've usually been sniped.
Well, I kinda lost my head with this one and a sudden impulse made my heart bid big at $225 and I ended up winning it for $200. My heart was racing, it was a bit of a gamble because the pix were blurred and lousy and no nomenclature was shown, but what little I could discern gave me a very good feeling that this was in cherry condition...
...and it was!

When it got here I was astounded at how crisp the nomenclature was and how nice the pipe looked overall --- with a tremendous blast too!
A nice smaller EL size.
I was ecstatic!
The stem was exquisite, still carrying a very crisply stamped REG'D 98 046 on the underside and fully intact Barling cross on topside!
Then I removed the stem...
...and something felt off,

seemed to come out too easily.
Had a closer look.
~squint~
~squint~
8O
8O
8O
8O
8O
8O
8O
:crying:
...and the Fossil fell from my graces.
:crying:
smM25rXl.jpg

Ltgm3mRl.jpg

..well, I was totally disappointed and a little freaked out.

Dammit.
I pm'd Sablebrush and he gave me some great advice and general words of wisdom.
Fortunately for me, the seller refunded my money with no problems and all is well.
They relisted it the next week and it sold for $132,

and this time disclosed that it had a cracked shank - I do believe they were honest and didn't notice it on the first go around, they weren't pipe smokers and small cracks on blasted pipes are hard to detect anyway.
Shame that such a nice pipe had that damn crack.
Another sad thing is that at some point or other a furry freak brother had decided to smoke hash or pot or opium in it, it had that distinct smell, as well as that dense gummy resin in the stem.
Oh well.
The good thing is that there's many more Fossils in the ocean and one day one'll finally wash up on my shore.
That's the good thing about pipe collecting, there's just so many pipes out there in the big wide world that it's no big deal if a few get away and slip through your fingers...
:puffy:
rxpq4qY.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Oh, man! It hurts just to read the story. I have one and it'll probably be the last pipe I'd part with. Hope you find one soon.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Oh my goodness, what a disappointment!
. The anxiety of the bidding, the thrill of winning, the anticipation of delivery and the excitement at opening the package and then...
My heart goes out to you
As you said, there are many more out there
But that old barling looked in great condition :(

May 31, 2012
Yeah, it was a drag -- but the initial exhilaration was intense!
Sam,

I have an oddball 2nd, Piccadilly Square, it's pretty damn great!

A 185 billiard.

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Hi Troy,
I saw this pipe during it's two auctions and I now understand why it was offered a second time. Sorry that you were the one with the disappointing experience.
You're right that there will be others and I trust that when you do find yours that it will be a peerless smoker as so many Barlings are. No other company controlled their quality as Barling did, from ground to mouth.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Dang!
1. Man that is awful it didn't work out, since it was such a beauty!
2. Thanks for taking us on the rollercoaster ride, I appreciated it.
Better luck next time!
I hope a pristine Barling comes to you at crazy low price.

May 31, 2012
wyfbane - Thanks man, I hope so too!
neverbend - I love this quote:

...a peerless smoker as so many Barlings are. No other company controlled their quality as Barling did, from ground to mouth.
"from ground to mouth"
...what a great turn of phrase!
:!:
This is the second pipe I've come across that had cannabis or hash smoked in it,

damn'd stoners!

:lol:
HgTcAvi.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
REEFER ADDICTS! AIII!!
Is there any way to get that weed gunk/ resin/ thc out of a pipe?
I ask as a person who detests the smell of pot AND as a military person who can't have that stuff around them at all.
I pitched the only pipe I ever got off ebay with the skunk smell.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Well actually it doesnt say fossil, Just says Barlings make EL 201 so no wonder I got it for that price, but the blast is pretty close to the one above with less ring grain.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
"Well actually it doesnt say fossil, Just says Barlings make EL 201 so no wonder I got it for that price, but the blast is pretty close to the one above with less ring grain."
That actually is probably an indication of an older pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.