Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Finally Found a VA That I Enjoy

(13 posts)
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well tonight I had an ahha moment. I have been searching for a VA that I would enjoy that didn't taste like cigarette smoke going on 15 years now. I was gifted a tin of McClelland Deep Hollow back in the late 90's and it sat in a box in the closet since. Well I wanted something out of my normal rotation tonight and I had some time while walking the dog so I cracked the tin and was met with a very pleasant almost sweet smell that reminded me of Maple and Molasses. Not much on the maple but it was defiantly there or it could be my bad sense of smell or over active imagination. It was a little on the damp side so I left it out for 15min before filling my Peterson and set out. It's nearly a full moon tonight and still very mild for this time of year. I struck flame to tobacco and not expecting much given the VA description on the tin was met with a very mild almost sweet smoke that was subtle with something more underneath. I have to say I will give this tobacco a chance to be my go to VA and hope that another non aged tin will taste as good. If not I can buy a few tins and re-visit them again in 16 years. Oh the joys of a pipe hobby!

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to agree, I'm not a big Va fan and although my tin was not aged, Deep Hollow is the first Va that I've really enjoyed. I only smoke Va's on occasion, but this is definitely the best one I've had!

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. flyguy

flyguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks piperl12! I am always game for a good Virginia and have never heard this one mentioned. I'll probably have to wait 16 years to duplicate your experience though.

“Apples for walking, and a pipe for sitting.”
    ― Samwise Gamgee
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just smoked another bowl of Deep Hollow this morning. It's now been in the jar for a couple of months, and it has gotten even better! I still have the tin on my shelf, and I just checked the date on it, 6/12! I opened it 2 months ago , so 1 year and 2 months in the tin, and 2 more months in the jar! I hope it keeps gettin better, I might have to add some more to an upcoming TAD!

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

McClellands seem to get better the longer they are open in the tin. I can assuredly say that a fresh tin will not be quite so good as a 16 year aged tin. I love me some aged McClellands.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. seanlamb63

seanlamb63

Login to Send PM

I love Deep Hollow, it was one of my first Virginia blends that I really enjoyed, and I still keep it in my regular rotation.

Sean Lamb

"You might find that smoke blown out cleared your mind of shadows within. Anyway, it gives patience, to listen to error without anger" (J.R.R.T)
    Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the review, Piper!

It's been a very long time since I smoked a bowl of Deep Hollow, though I remember this blend as being very light, extremely mild and somewhat aromatic (vanilla?)

Being a McClelland virginia blend, I've no doubt it has greatly improved after aging for 10 years.

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for posting!

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McClelland Virginias have a very solid reputation. I have enjoyed everyone I have smoked. There's none in my rotation at present, but there are several tins aging.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haven't tried this, fresh or aged, but have been meaning to. I think it's one of the original blends put together by Barry Levin (creator of blends like Frog Morton, Grey Havens and Blackwoods Flake).

Would someone who normally doesn't like aromatics like this?

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. inteus

inteus

Login to Send PM

Just put Deep Hollow on my to try list.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Pitchfork I smoke primarily Aro's for my wife and have found a few that I can tolerate that actually taste like they smell. For myself I have usually smoked English but I think as a non VA smoker you would really enjoy this as your first foray into VA blends. I am pretty sure there is a casing on the tobacco given it's sweetness. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong. It is literally the first time I have experienced the sweetness everyone talks about with a VA. At under $20.00 for 200g tin I say give it a try. If you don't like it today cellar it for 16 years.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the list, always looking for VA's. Now if I can just make an order off the list I may get caught up. This rush to cellar bumps everything. Now with the box pass I'll have a crap load to add.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 5 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Pitch & Craig, IMO, you'd both find Deep Hollow a bit too mild for your tastes.

That said, I totally agree with Piper, the Deep Hollow is a great choice for anyone transitioning to virginia blends, especially aromatic lovers.

And Pitch, I just received a couple new-to-me McClelland cans -- Tudor Castle and Beacon -- both recommended by members here, the former blend by you.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   64alex, jaytex969, elpfeife, canucklehead, craig61a, oldtoby, trudger, yuda, gerryp, lightxmyfire, bluegrassbrian, rsobel993, ajohnb, lochinvar, cossackjack, jiminks