PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Well tonight I had an ahha moment. I have been searching for a VA that I would enjoy that didn't taste like cigarette smoke going on 15 years now. I was gifted a tin of McClelland Deep Hollow back in the late 90's and it sat in a box in the closet since. Well I wanted something out of my normal rotation tonight and I had some time while walking the dog so I cracked the tin and was met with a very pleasant almost sweet smell that reminded me of Maple and Molasses. Not much on the maple but it was defiantly there or it could be my bad sense of smell or over active imagination. It was a little on the damp side so I left it out for 15min before filling my Peterson and set out. It's nearly a full moon tonight and still very mild for this time of year. I struck flame to tobacco and not expecting much given the VA description on the tin was met with a very mild almost sweet smoke that was subtle with something more underneath. I have to say I will give this tobacco a chance to be my go to VA and hope that another non aged tin will taste as good. If not I can buy a few tins and re-visit them again in 16 years. Oh the joys of a pipe hobby!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have to agree, I'm not a big Va fan and although my tin was not aged, Deep Hollow is the first Va that I've really enjoyed. I only smoke Va's on occasion, but this is definitely the best one I've had!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Thanks piperl12! I am always game for a good Virginia and have never heard this one mentioned. I'll probably have to wait 16 years to duplicate your experience though.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I just smoked another bowl of Deep Hollow this morning. It's now been in the jar for a couple of months, and it has gotten even better! I still have the tin on my shelf, and I just checked the date on it, 6/12! I opened it 2 months ago , so 1 year and 2 months in the tin, and 2 more months in the jar! I hope it keeps gettin better, I might have to add some more to an upcoming TAD!

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
I love Deep Hollow, it was one of my first Virginia blends that I really enjoyed, and I still keep it in my regular rotation.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
McClelland Virginias have a very solid reputation. I have enjoyed everyone I have smoked. There's none in my rotation at present, but there are several tins aging.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Haven't tried this, fresh or aged, but have been meaning to. I think it's one of the original blends put together by Barry Levin (creator of blends like Frog Morton, Grey Havens and Blackwoods Flake).
Would someone who normally doesn't like aromatics like this?

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
@Pitchfork I smoke primarily Aro's for my wife and have found a few that I can tolerate that actually taste like they smell. For myself I have usually smoked English but I think as a non VA smoker you would really enjoy this as your first foray into VA blends. I am pretty sure there is a casing on the tobacco given it's sweetness. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong. It is literally the first time I have experienced the sweetness everyone talks about with a VA. At under $20.00 for 200g tin I say give it a try. If you don't like it today cellar it for 16 years.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
On the list, always looking for VA's. Now if I can just make an order off the list I may get caught up. This rush to cellar bumps everything. Now with the box pass I'll have a crap load to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.