Finally found a tobacco blend I don't care for.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Sutliff Molto Dolce is so wet that because it's sold by weight that the tin is only half full. Silly me I thought an hour of drying SHOULD be enough but it was so wet that I couldn't keep it lit. It had a great taste for about the first 3rd of the bowl and then it disappeared, after that it was like smoking warm air. I'll try letting it dry for several days to see if it smokes better, otherwise it will make a great potpourri!
I much prefer Sutliff's Black Cordial, it is kinda wet also but smokes great after 30-60 minutes of drying and still has taste to the end of the bowl.
Bob

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
Molto Dolce is a blend for people who don't like the taste of tobacco.

I wouldn't go that far, I liked the taste while it lasted and I like aromatics for a change of pace.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Heavily flavored aromatics are definite genre of pipe tobacco, and a fairly popular one, it would seem. I prefer tobacco-forward aromatics, and non-aromatics above those. I find heavily flavored aromatics prone to bite, too wet, tending to fade in flavor, and just not that tasty. You do have to realize that aromatics are a majority of the market that carries the rest of blends. Some of Sutliff's aromatics are more tobacco-forward and, to me, pretty good. The Great Outdoors and a number of others. Their non-aromatics are quite good; their Balkan 957 was a pretty good example of a Balkan blend.

'

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What I find funny about the Sutliff bashing that goes on around here is that Sutliff makes blends for so many labels that the bashers love to love. Sutliff bashing is cluelessness.
Not liking specific blends is another matter altogether.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sutliff actually makes a few blends that I enjoy, but I've yet to try Molto Dolce. The birthday cake description I've heard about it makes it sound interesting, but being that damp I would likely have to smoke it in a cob.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Oh you need to dry it out for like 8 hours before smoking, but it is truly fun to smoke. My wife and kid LOVE the room note.
Happy wife, happy life.
:)

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've only ever tried their April Dawn, which arrived along with a pipe I bought on Ebay, and it wasn't bad at all.

It smoked better than Captain Black.

I don't smoke aros any more, except when the moon is blue.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here ya go Mike!
blue-moon.jpg

Sorry, too much bourbon in the eggnog. :mrgreen:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I might still have a bowl of that stuff hanging around in one of these little jars of last remains I've kept, Duane, but, although I appreciate the pic, I am not sure that it's motivation enough to become an aro deviate.

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Arodeviate....hmmn...sounds like a category of pipe smoker.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Arodeviate:
definition;

An aromatic smoker who deviates from the norm. One who smokes Captain Bob's Blend and Briarworks Bacon Old Fasioned

I think the main difference between Sutliff Blend bashing and the stuff they make for other companies is that Sutliff may do a great job for other companies, but for the stuff they stick in those paper cans lacks any nicotine and (to me) tastes like crap... except Molto Dolce, which is my favorite by them, ha ha. Funny how that works. It's best IMO smoked sopping wet in a dedicated pipe, because it will ghost like a Lakeland. But, in my experience, when I smoke it, it draws a crowd. No, I don't smoke it for my own tobacco enjoyment, but to draw in a crowd, usually beautiful women, and then hold court. :puffy:

For myself, the only thing Sutliff puts their name on worth smoking for my own enjoyment is 1849, a nice little VaPer. All of their other blends, including their attempts at Balkans and Virginias are just swill, IMO. They must just use better formulas and stuff for the work they do for other companies. But, my guess is that they use tobaccos selected by other companies in those blends.

Well, then they just have better tastes in the work they out source, because I have never had a Sutliff tin, other than the two I mentioned that I would ever recommend to someone. But, surely everyone is entitled to their opinion. And, may the Sutliff bashing continue till they make more stuff like 1849. :puffy: ...because it's fun and brings us together with love, peace, and harmony.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
DBE to the rescue...

After adding a healthy dose of Dark Birds Eye to Molto Dolce dried for 12 hours it smoked like a dream and it actually had some tobacco flavor.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
And I'll happily bash the bashers.
Well played :clap: but as I've stated many times, I have tried a dozen or so Sutliff blends all to disappointment, Im at the point that I will pass on anything under that label

jmagen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2016
Glad I found this thread! I just ordered a tin of Molto recently, motivated by hearsay, FB and forum posts. We'll call this due diligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.