PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So the bulk of my pipe ignition sources consist of matches when it comes to getting my pipe going, but once I get further down the bowl I really like having a lighter because it helps to get a flame down to the bottom of the bowl a little easier. For the longest time, I had always used plain ole' Bic lighters with success aside from occasionally burning my thumb on a few of my really deep chamber pipes. I had posted about a cheap little Eternity lighter I had gotten at my B&M some time back which worked really well for a little while, but then the electro-quartz ignition got all jacked up, and now it maybe lights every 7-8 clicks if I'm lucky. I had also bought a Xikar Scribe lighter, but it never lit my tobacco very well and after a month or so, the butane valve got screwed up and no matter where you have the screw set, the lighter is always stuck on "flamethrower" mode. Well the other day, I went to the B&M and found a Xikar Resource, and so far, I really like this lighter. Just a couple of puffs gets me a nice, even light, lights on the first click every time, and I've been using it religiously for a few days now and it still has plenty of fuel left in it, plus it has a tamper, pick and scraper built right into the bottom of the lighter. Plus it has a lifetime warranty which is really nice. My Scribe has the same warranty and I plan to send it in to get the butane valve problem either fixed or they may just replace the lighter, but the Resource is by far my favorite lighter to date. Really nice value for the price and a solid performer.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
F04614D1-EA30-42FB-AFCA-AAAF79A57E7F-13199-0000157014EFB7A8_zps197e249a.jpg
Got this one for Christmas with a gift card son and his family gave me. It's a corona Pipe Master, love it, big tank, lifetime warranty, works swell so far, no flint.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have a Xikar Pipeline that I enjoy. The flint tube started to loosen a little, but it was easy enough to take apart with a punch set and tighten it down. Still works great; most of the time I fail to fill it properly and end up with air bubbles if I happen to run into problems.

Jul 15, 2011
I have the same one with this black finish
That's the same one that I bought. And in reference to people lighting their cigarette with it, no one handles my lighter but me. So if someone's cigarette is getting lit, I'm the one doing the lighting.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I have that same one as well and I LOVE it. I had a problem with rim charring with just about every other lighter I had and this one keeps it from happening thank god!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Been my favorite for some time but lately doesn't have as big of a flame as it used to. I am getting down towards the bottom 1/4 of the fuel in my container, so maybe it just doesn't have the pressure in the lighter it needs to produce the full flame it had. Anyone else experience this?

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Currently I am using a zippo with pipe chimney, works great, but I do want to get one similar to the above. Classier and I prefer the look over my zippo.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I have the same one as Sam but I have the brown finish. For the money I think this is a great lighter.
585bu.jpg

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
I light all my pipes, from corncob to Baldo Baldi, with bics.
I own an Old Boy but the tank doesn't last as long as I'd like and it blows out if a baby farts nearby. The tanks on Bics just last forever.
I don't know what it is, can't shake the habit even if I like the looks of nicer lighters.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
First light is almost always a match. If I'm in my easy chair, I light a smokers candle on the end table, and use that to light hemp string for subsequent relights. Otherwise I use my zippo with the pipe insert, especially if I'm out on the deck. Also have a nimrod sportsman and a commander. I also have a nice collection of butane lighters, including an Old Boy, a few Xikars, 2 colibris, and I use them when I'm not using a Bic. They all work fine but I prefer the lower temp/low tech versions because they don't overheat the tobacco or scorch the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.