PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
Well ive been wanting to try a tin of this for about a year now. Everyone has always been out of it but the other day I found some in stock so I ordered a tin of this and Autumn Evening.
Opening the tin of FDF I did NOT like it lol. It smelled like ketchup to me rofl. Supper is done and I thought I would sit down and rub out a bowl for after I ate dinner. Man this stuff is moist. It didn't rub like the tobacco in the video the demonstrates how to rub tobacco. Turned more into a ball at first till I just took my time and got it all rubbed out.
Now ill eat my dinner and pack a bowl of this and hope I enjoy it.
Now as for the Autumn Evening...I have not smoked it either but it smells like you could put some in a bowl with milk and eat it with a spoon lol.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I haven't tried either of those, but have heard a lot about FDF, I'd let it dry at least an hour if it's as moist as you say it is. I'm looking forward to your thought on these after a bowl or two!

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Autumn Evening was to moist for me right out of the can; it seemed a little over-powering also. I let it dry a bit and also mixed in a little PA. It's not my favorite but I'm liken it. I just wish the smell of the smoke was as good as the smell of the tobacco! Oh, and I like it in the morning instead of the evening - it reminds me of crispy maple flavored bacon.

fireink

Lurker
Oct 2, 2011
I'd love to hear your experience with the stuff. In mine, it takes forever to dry, and doesn't deliver for the work. I wanted to like it, but it carries little taste, and the flakes are of average quality. It has actually made me reluctant to try other flakes noted as overly moist. No doubt this stuff has a humectant keeping it from drying out. I'd like to think I got a bad tin.

bogie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2010
Well just finished my first bowl of this stuff. I am by no means well enough versed to give a review however i can say i liked this. I liked it a lot in fact. Must get my hands on more.
I cant quiet make out any blackberry flavor but it does carry a fruity note with it, very mild and no tongue bite even with me puffing pretty good to keep it lit. If i pay attention i can pick up on maybe a vanilla here and there but just enough to notice if that makes any sense. This is my very first flake, and apparently i like virginias.
Now to broaden my pallet with other blends and flavors. Any one have suggestions LOL.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
Sounds like it has good reviews....I can imagine the aromas !! :clap: :puffy:

firedanceflake.jpg
firedanceflake.jpg

firedanceflake.jpg
firedanceflake.jpg

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I just popped a ten-year-old tin of Firedance Flake. Perfect moisture right out of the tin and ... wonderful! This is one aro that greatly benefited from the aging, in my opinion.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Firedance -- and whoever thought that was a good name for a pipe tobacco? Doesn't it make you think immediately of tongue bite and hot coals? -- has the distinction of being the most unappealing tobacco I have ever tried! I went through an entire tin, and I could never get past the pervasive aroma of sweaty feet. I like a lot of SG blends, but that one I will never revisit.
Interesting to hear from the fans, though...
Bob

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Firedance Flake was originally created by the Firedancer herself, June Starke. June would come into John B. Hayes and have the folks there mix up "Junes Batch". Later she met some of the folks from SG, (I think at one of the Richmond Shows), and they were impressed enough with June that they created the blend that you see now. It seems to be one of those types of blends that you either love or hate. I haven't met anyone that has tried it that seems to be in the middle.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
- and whoever thought that was a good name for a pipe tobacco? Doesn't it make you think immediately of tongue bite and hot coals?
:rofl:
Firedance Flake was originally created by the Firedancer herself, June Starke. June would come into John B. Hayes and have the folks there mix up "Junes Batch". Later she met some of the folks from SG, (I think at one of the Richmond Shows), and they were impressed enough with June that they created the blend that you see now. It seems to be one of those types of blends that you either love or hate. I haven't met anyone that has tried it that seems to be in the middle.
Now that's a neat tidbit of info. I love stuff like that!

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I love this stuff but I will give you haters that the tin smell is not something that entice the senses. Smoking a bowl as I type this and I bought the last 4 tins from smokingpipes stocks the other day.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I bought a tin of Firedance on Saturday at the B&M. I sat on their patio and rubbed out a bowl and let it dry about twenty minutes as it was quite moist. Loaded it up and had a memorable smoke. It started out awful as it first tasted like...well...vomitus. Then I began to pick out the flavors and found it wonderful. It burned beautifully and only needed one relight after dumping ash at the midway point. The subtle blackberry and brandy flavors stayed consistent to the bottom of the bowl and no goop. As a VA and English smoker this is my idea of an aro. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Now Grousemoor on the other hand... I smoked one bowl out of the tin and have been afraid to go near it for a year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.