Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Finally Bought Some C&D Blends - Any Good, Bad, or Ugly Opinions?

(36 posts)
  • Started 7 months ago by mtwaller
  • Latest reply from them4chef
  1. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I pulled the trigger on 3 Cornell and Diehl blends online, having never tried a one of them. I must admit I’m damn excited about them, though. I’m a new pipe smoker but I’ve fallen in love with it mainly thanks to my trusty little Peterson System Standard 313 and some Plum Pudding that’s been cellaring for a couple months. Anyway... on to the tobaccos in question... I got 2 oz. tins of Mad Fiddler, Dreams of Kadath, and Bayou Morning Flake. Any folks have experience smoking these? Any nirvana moments, any gripes, any of them just meh? I’d love to hear personal accounts from some folks who’ve smoked and cellared these blends. They’re going straight into mason jars so they should keep well, for my part. Assuming they’re tasty enough to keep around for a few years.

“There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion”.
    Posted 7 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

To me, the best of C&D are the burley blends, but maybe that's the burley fanatic speaking. Kadath, though I only have a sample a Forums member sent me, is excellent. Burley blends I re-order are Old Joe Krantz, Billy Budd, Bayou Night, Riverboat Gambler, and others. I have several more in waiting. Once jarred, even if you try them and aren't immediately enchanted, I'd keep 'em aging, and see if you like them in a year or two, as tastes change and aging helps. I think C&D is to burley what McClellands was to Virginia blends. Happy sampling. I think you'll find most blends good or better.

Posted 7 months ago #
  3. d4k23

d4k23

Login to Send PM

I have only smoked Dreams of Kadath out of the selection you have. It is the most unique tasting tobacco I have tasted. I smoke it out of a meer to get the most flavor, like a fine wine or nice Christmas Ale. There is a lot going on, sweet, sour, nutty, all at once. I have one tin open and will let my other rest. I am curious how it will be in a few years.

Other C&D tobacco I am a big fan of are Opening Night, with some age, Waccamaw per another's suggestion (if that counts) and of course Red Flake.

Posted 7 months ago #
  4. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

Awesome! I’m glad to hear that their blends age well. If I like these I’ll definitley try some of the other ones that you guys mentioned.

Posted 7 months ago #
  5. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've only smoked Black Frigate and Sam's Blend. I liked them both, but the latter seems to have really upset my stomach: I had nausea the day after. Haven't touched it ever since; I've wanted to give it another chance, but other blends in my 'cellar' have gotten my attention.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 7 months ago #
  6. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a huge fan of C&D. However, I do like Star of the East Flake and Dreams of Kadath. Tried more blends recently. Opening Night is good, Redburn is really good. If you want and like A latakia Bomb, Pirate Kake is for you. I actually like PK, there's enough oriental flavor present to make it q quite pleasant. I just opened a ton of Burley Flakes 1 & 3 to see if there's any way I can like it. I tried Billy Budd, one of the few times I actually emptied the bowl and quit on it. But some people love it. That's why asking other people for opinions of what you may like is a little silly.

Posted 7 months ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

What are your initial impressions? I like star of the east and super Balkan is ok.

Posted 7 months ago #
  8. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bayou morning, poplar camp, haunted bookshop are staples of my rotation

Posted 7 months ago #
  9. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What are your initial impressions?

I'm smoking the Burley Flake #1 at the moment. It's okay but not as much flavor as I prefer.

Posted 7 months ago #
  10. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I’ve been intrigued by the Burley Flakes... but not enough to spend money on a tin of them. C&D just has so damn many blends it’s really hard to choose one. I guess that’s why I started with 3 haha. If I really dig at least one that I have coming in then I’ll probably try some more in the future. Right now I’m only smoking SPC Plum Pudding and Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky.

Posted 7 months ago #
  11. wolflarsen

wolflarsen

Login to Send PM

Dreams of Kadath has a fermented red wine note that threw me off at first but I've come around to enjoy it for what it is. If you like plum pudding you might like the very good but often overlooked Sunset Harbor Flake. Sunday Picnic and Red Odessa are a few more from C&D that I like to keep around.

Posted 7 months ago #
  12. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Big and Burley, Bayou Morning, Epiphany, bowlegged Bear, Haunted Bookshop, Exclusive, and Star of the East are all favorites of mine from C&D. I’ve had Bayou Morning Flake too but prefer the ribbon because I’m lazy. Most in that list pack a big punch too!

Procrastinate Later. - I'll say this one day!
    Posted 7 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

okiepiper

Login to Send PM

In addition to the blends already mentioned, I like Mountain Camp. It is like Bayou Night but with the amounts of latakia and perique reversed.

"I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food." Ron Swanson
    Posted 7 months ago #
  14. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoked my first bowl of Black Frigate. Wasn’t expecting much to be honest, thought it would just be another Balkan blend with more Oriental than I prefer. I was wrong. I found the Origental leaf to be nothing more than a subtle compliment to the sweet, smoky Latakia. I can see why this blend has such a strong following, it is very, very good.

So I tried 5 new C&D blends in the past day and a half. Really, really like Opening Night, Redburn and Black Frigate/ Pirate Kake is quite good and I’ll smoke it regularly but certainly not daily. Burley Flake #1 is solid but doesn’t hit my sweet spot yet. It may grow on me. That’s all first impression. I’ll smoke the entire tins and see which ones I reorder. I’ll be surprised if those first 3 don’t find their way into a reasonably regular rotation.

Posted 7 months ago #
  15. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I enjoy Byzantium.

Posted 7 months ago #
  16. acidpox

acidpox

Login to Send PM

Dreams of Kadath is my personal favorite tobacco I have tried in my short time of piping(around 7 or so months). If anyone knows of similar blends please let me know.

Posted 7 months ago #
  17. rogerrodger

rogerrodger

Login to Send PM

I'm partial to Stratfordshire and Odessa and plan to stock up on both.

Posted 7 months ago #
  18. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

If you like plum pudding you might like the very good but often overlooked Sunset Harbor Flake.

also one of my favorites!

Posted 7 months ago #
  19. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I keep quite a few different C&D offerings on hand, Bayou Morning is one of my go to blends . I like the Burley Flakes but have to confess that it took me pretty much a full tin to “get it”

Posted 7 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

Morley’s Best (a Runowski) is, to me, amazing. I only smoke it out of a cob, as I do with any burley heavy blend. As others have mentioned; Bayou Morning (a real perique kick), Star of the East are good. I like Oak Alley, Pirate Kake, Mississippi Mud, and Red Odessa as well. YMMV of course. There certainly are a lot to choose from.

ETA: Orion’s Arrow is d**n fine! A Va/Per with some Oriental. I’m going to start a bowl’s worth to dry now that I’m thinking of it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  21. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For those that have had Redburn did your cake come really dry?

My tin has no moisture at all...with rum and molasses flavoring added I anticipated it being fairly moist. I am 2/3’s through the tin but wondering if I am missing out on some flavors.

Posted 7 months ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Just got done grating some Dreams of Kadanth probably for tomorrow, and I definitely like Stradfordshire for a sturdy English.

Posted 7 months ago #
  23. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Redburn tin I opened was dryer than most but perfect for smoking, at least for me. My limited experience with C&D blends is they come dryer than most other tobacco manufacturers.

Posted 7 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

Based on this thread, I broke down and ordered 4oz of C&D Stratfordshire.

Thanks for those who recommended it!

Posted 7 months ago #
  25. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

My fav C&D is still Black Duck. its just. hell I dunno.. good.

Posted 7 months ago #
  26. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking autumn evening, and not really enjoying it.

Posted 7 months ago #
  27. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

jar it and try again in a year!

Posted 7 months ago #
  28. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those three you purchased are all wonderful blends in my opinion, I rate them in this order:

1. Dreams of Kadath Plug (they should put Plug in the name)
    2. Bayou Morning Flake
    3 Mad Fiddler Flake

If you end up liking Dreams of Kadath, give GL Pease’ Temple Bar a whirl, they have very similar taste profiles.

Posted 7 months ago #
  29. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Hoosier

Posted 7 months ago #
  30. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

A lot of folks are recommending Redburn I’ll definitely put that on the list. And hawky454 I’ve been looking at a lot of G.L. Pease blends they all sound really tasty! Will certainly keep temple bar in mind.

Posted 7 months ago #
  31. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

I love Dreams of Kadath. In the C&D realm, I am also very fond of Pirate Cake, Mad Fiddler Flake, Sunset Harbor Flake, Belmont Station, Crooner, Gentleman Caller and Speakeasy..........So Far.

AND OF COURSE, ARGGGGGGGGGG, I wouldn't ferget to mention one o' me MOST favorite blends, Black Frigate!!!!!!!

CW

Black Frigate Scurvy Dog, 4th Class...Savvy?

Posted 7 months ago #
  32. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

Haunted Bookshop, it brings the Vitamin N

Posted 7 months ago #
  33. mtwaller

mtwaller

Login to Send PM

I dig all of the passionate responses to this thread! Just realized it’s in the wrong forum so sorry ‘bout that. I’m new. Sue me. Anyway... all of my C&D blends arrived today and I can’t decide which one to smoke first! It’s such a fantastic problem to have. I’ll eat a nice dinner and then maybe (literally) roll some dice and let fate decide. I’m looking forward to trying many of the blends you all love so much. Thanks for all the input!

Posted 7 months ago #
  34. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

C&D makes some great blends. Lots mentioned here that I smoke regularly. Mountain Camp, Billy Budd, Morley's Best.

About C&D sending blends dry, it's something they've mentioned before in posts. I think you might find some on this forum from either Sykes or Jeremy. They prefer to ship tobacco not water, so they typically send their blends dryer than most.

I'm interested in the Dreams of Kadath, as well as Billy Budd Blonde. I haven't been able to pick up any of those tins yet. I will though.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 6 months ago #
  35. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Really enjoying Opening Night and Redburn a lot. Black Frigate is quite good, Pirate Kake is nice to have at the end of the day when you're in the mood for a lot of latakia. Been smoking a fair amount of Burley Flake #4 and it is excellent. Some of the C&D Burleys are a bit bland for me but this one lets the Va Leaf come out a lot. Also like Yorktown a lot more than I thought I would. Great value VA blend you can buy in bulk. Surprised it isn't mentioned more.

Posted 6 months ago #
  36. them4chef

them4chef

Login to Send PM

I got recently got my first 2 tins of cornell&diehl

The first was my last attempt at aromatics... I got a tin of autumn evening. The tin note is delicious. As for smoking it was less delicious but acceptable. Though personally it's not incredible but for aromatics I've tried so far it's probably a tie with sweet killarney as a acceptable smoke so I guess I'll keep some in my rotation.

My second tin was black frigate. I definatly prefer English and this is a decent blend. I've only smoked 3 bowls of it and its not that remarkable. I get some sweetness from the rum early in the smoke but personally I find it gets a little flat after about 1/2 a bowl, though still a decent smoke.

I have some g l pease on the way and it's made by c&d from what I understand so I'm hoping for some more exciting blends fun
    There.

Posted 6 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulie66scandinavian, jaytex969, eddiegrob